Yankee Go(ing) Home AL-OH

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BuckeyeDoug, Apr 26, 2019.

1. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    After years of riding AL/GA/TN area, I've finally decided to get out on an 11-day trip. Of course, mother nature doesn't seem to be cooperating. My plan is to 2-days thru eastern TN/KY and WV on way to Moms in Ohio. Spend the weekend with her doing chores around house and visiting my old haunts from my youth. Then head to Asheville, NC to meet a couple friends and ride that area for a week.

Packed and ready to roll. Mother nature is already hovering Thursday morning.
    IMG_0710.JPG

Rain gear packed. Roll on.
    ejm4, klaviator, Kruzof and 2 others like this.
  2. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Nuclear power. Unfortunately, construction halted here in Hollywood, AL in 1988. Recently, work has started up and hopefully will go online in the future with new design reactors. The TVA manages several nuclear plants along the TN River, and although a meltdown is catastrophic, it sure does provide cheap utility bills!
    IMG_0712.JPG

Now that's some voltage!!!!

IMG_0713.JPG
    WECSOG, klaviator and Dillard like this.
  3. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    This may be the most secure dog-grooming business in the country (South Pittsburgh, TN). Think it was a pawn and gun shop in an earlier life. Not sure where the airport is........
    IMG_0717.JPG
    klaviator likes this.
  4. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    I've ridden past this war memorial several times without stopping. The wall honors fallen soldiers starting from Revolutionary War thru current conflicts. A great tribute to those from Sequatchie County, TN.
    IMG_0720.JPG IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0726.JPG
    motorjon68, klaviator and Dillard like this.
  5. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    The route I had planned was North-Easterly from Huntsville, staying west of Chattanooga and Knoxville on my way into Eastern KY. Found this neat little settlement area of Homesteads in TN, near Crossville and the Cumberland Mountain State Park. The tower was constructed in 1938. IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0729.JPG
    klaviator likes this.
  6. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Spotted this cool train trestle tunnel near the KY border. And it is still in use! There was an ulterior motive for this stop. My full-face helmet was pressing painfully on my forehead. I pulled the liner and saw the problem - the impact foam had a bulge. So I found a nice size rock to use as a caveman's hammer. People driving by must have thought I was really mad at my helmet. But it worked. And I left my hammer for the next needy caveman (it's near my kickstand).
    IMG_0735.JPG
    ejm4, WECSOG, klaviator and 1 other person like this.
  7. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    It was 235 miles to reach the KY border. Skies threatened but no liquid sunshine. I was running a gauntlet between two parallel storm systems. So I kept pressing. The rolling hills have started to rise as I headed towards the south-western WV border. IMG_0739.JPG IMG_0741.JPG IMG_0742.JPG
    ejm4, motorjon68, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  8. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    I hit Pikeville, KY, home of the Hatfield-McCoy feud, with about an hour of light left. That was supposed to be my overnight stop, and do a little exploring in the morning, as I had never ridden in eastern KY. Still no precipitation. No blue skies either. A look at the weather radar and forecast was not pretty - storms all day Friday. After a few phone calls, I decided to press on.

The mountains of KY and WV have long been communities relying on coal production for their economy. A new US119 bypass shows the layers of minerals that exist in these areas.
    IMG_0745.JPG
    I crossed into WV at sundown. Here is an old underground coal mine that has started production again.
    IMG_0751.JPG
    Bhart89, klaviator, Kruzof and 2 others like this.
  9. Dillard

Dillard Seeker

Oddometer:
    Nice Bike. Ride safe and have fun.
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  10. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    When I got to Charleston, WV, the radar was getting worse. Time for Plan B - Interstate (Plan A was zero interstate). No more pics. Made it to Mom's a little after midnight. Hit some wet interstate in Ohio, but never encountered any rain. My trek covered 706 miles in just under 14 hours. And my butt is letting me know it today! But I'm glad I pressed on, as it has been raining all morning here, and radar shows one big storm cell from here to my original planned stop in KY.

IMG_0752.JPG

Leg 2 of this trip will probably start on Sunday, planning a 2-day trip to Asheville, NC. Going Plan A again, and looking to cover a newer area of WV and KY on the way down. Stay tuned.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. Dillard

Dillard Seeker

Oddometer:
    Plan A should always be no Interstate.
    WECSOG, BuckeyeDoug and Kruzof like this.
  12. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Nothing but liquid sunshine today. Only time I can say that I'm glad Plan B was an option. And my butt definitely needs a more gentle smelting before it becomes iron......
    klaviator likes this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You really have the bike loaded up Doug, are you planning on camping?

It looks like you will have some nice weather at least through Wednesday. Have a great ride!
  14. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    No camping. Buddies are bringing a motorhome up from Florida and we're setting up the command post at Buck Creek RV Park in Marion, NC.

Sunshine today here in Ohio. In the 40's now, with high's in 50's. Everything is blooming, so I should get some scenery in after I complete some house chores.
    WECSOG and klaviator like this.
  15. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    So, did a rednecky fisherman looking dude in an old pickup truck stop and strike up a conversation while you were there? :ear
    That always seems to happen pretty quick if I stop anywhere near the plant. Pretty sure it's a disguise.
  16. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    That's funny. Not a soul in sight. Been there several times without a visitor - maybe he's stalking you?!?!?! The ospreys were a little miffed that I stopped under their nest!
    WECSOG likes this.
  17. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Home sweet home since parents built it in 1968. Deer and turkeys in the yard all the time. And due to the size of the land yachts of the day, this 2-car garage has nearly the same square footage of my 3-car in AL. Unfortunately, still has the green and baby blue bathrooms, and wallpaper, that was the trend back in the day. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Well, I'm fixing a lot of stuff that was bandaged over the years. But that's what sons are for. All good.
    IMG_0755.JPG
    dano619, TownPump, ejm4 and 2 others like this.
  18. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    The sun came out!!!! But only 46 degrees to start the morning, finally reaching 55 in the afternoon. Winds were gusting to 15-20 mph, so I tried to stay in all the valleys on my ride over into the panhandle of WV. This suspension bridge spans the Ohio River into Wheeling, WV. The deck is the see-thru metal grating. Cool view.
    IMG_0756.JPG

The Capitol Theatre in Wheeling, WV opened in 1928.
    IMG_0757.JPG

This was Valley Ford Lincoln Mercury when I worked there in 1988-89. Not much compared to the mega-dealerships of today. The service department was located on the first floor of this parking garage, with several service bays also on the fifth floor. IMG_0759.JPG IMG_0760.JPG
    klaviator and WECSOG like this.
  19. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Moundsville, WV, has two interesting attractions next to each other. And old Indian burial mound, and the gothic West Virginia State Penitentiary.
    IMG_0764.JPG IMG_0767.JPG
    The prison was still in operation until 1995. I can remember riding past this place in HS, looking up at the walls with armed guards looking down at me. Not a place I ever wanted to be a resident.
    IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0770.JPG
    motorjon68 and klaviator like this.
  20. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Back in Ohio now. Not sure of any mafia connections - but if you have and issues with kin folk, neighbors - this might be the place to go.....
    IMG_0771.JPG
    Actually, this is a little country meat market that has a butcher service. I have my deer processed here.