Yankee Go(ing) Home AL-OH

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BuckeyeDoug, Apr 26, 2019.

1. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Last night during the storm, Marty's new Suzuki Boulevard C90 was blown over without his knowing. We saw it when we returned drenched. Picked it up, no problems. So we thought. We got a late start this morning, and Marty saw his newly install batwing fairing was vibrating. At our gas stop, we noticed a screw missing and another loose about to fall out. A bracket was bent too. So our next stop was Lowe's for hardware. After attempting a parking lot repair, we decided the fairing would need to be removed to fix the bracket. Having skipped breakfast due to the late start, we first went for a bite to eat. TJ's Cafe at Camping World RV Sales & Service is what the locals eat. So we headed there.

This is just the Cafe and Service Center! Signs proudly say the largest RV sales & repair center in the Carolina's. The whole campus is huge, which includes a separate sales building as well as a very large campground with full hookups.
    IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

Catfish, fries, slaw, hushpuppies, and tea for $6. Can't beat that!

Here are the surgeons operating on the stricken patient.
    IMG_0957.JPG

Successful surgery completed mid-afternoon. IMG_0958.JPG

The same storms we encountered yesterday are forming again east of us over Asheville on a NE track. So we're looking at a ride east to avoid them, maybe to Hickory.
    klaviator and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. motorjon68

motorjon68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m a Cincinnati dude. Spent summers in Huntsville and Hazelgreen. Loving this!
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  3. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Today was an exercise in futility. The first surgery didn't fix the fairing issues. So we went back to the operating room. And to Lowe's. Break for a storm as it was raining sideways. And to Lowe's again. Paused for another storm. Finally finished an hour before dark. Ugh. Logged 30 miles today, the 3 trips for hardware. Exhausted.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not the ideal riding day but you got to spend the day with some friends and didn't have to go to work!
  5. rr361

rr361 n00b

Oddometer:
    So, I work and am friends with Doug. My boss just came by and said he heard in staff meeting that he crashed and is in the hospital somewhere in Ohio. I'm trying to get more details and will update accordingly. I've pinged him and his wife.

Hell of a first post...
    Robby
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    :(
  7. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Please post some details when you get them. There is a large number of inmates here in Ohio that would be willing to help in whatever way.
  8. rr361

rr361 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just heard from his wife. She said he hit a divot on a wet road, bike spun around and slammed him to the ground and he slid about 50 feet on the road. He's at Mission Trauma Center in Asheville. That jives up more with the last text I got from him when he said he was north of Asheville. Cindi (wife) is up there with him. If I hear more I'll update.

Thanks,
    Robby
  9. rr361

rr361 n00b

Oddometer:
    Status as of 8:40:

Has broken collarbone, broken shoulder blade, 7 broken ribs, additional displaced ribs, bruised lung and a puncture in his lung. He is on a ventilator to help him breathe and they had to put a chest tube in to relieve some trapped air between lung and ribs. Doc said that will be in place a few days then will start weaning him off ventilator when tube removed. He’s heavily sedated but fairly stable today. Don’t know when he will be released. But estimate here until the weekend at least with a few months for complete recovery.

I'll pass on more as it becomes available.
  10. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Hope and pray everything works out for him.
  11. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Well this really sucks but thanks for the update.
  12. mynamewasmud

mynamewasmud Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    West "By God" Virgina transplant, Ohio, VT
    My uncle J.C. Heidrick was the Warden, really creepy spending time in the mansion as a kid. Cool trip.
  13. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    Well, as most of you have already heard, my motorcycle vacation that started on Thursday April 25, ended a day early on Saturday May 4. I had almost reached 2000 miles on this trip. The plan for the final day was a short morning ride for lunch, then back to campground to pack everything up for early departure home Sunday. Then I made the fateful decision of riding in a rain storm. That’s always been my #1 rule - never ride in rain.

We had ridden clear skies south to Chimney Rock State Park. After lunch in Lake Lure, NC we got a few miles NE when a storm hit. We pulled over for ten minutes or so to wait out the storm. No hurry, we’re on vacation.

Weather appeared to be clearing, so we decided to press on, but at a much slower pace. That’s when I broke rule #2 - no distracted driving. I must have been sightseeing in the rain, not sure. Last thing I remember is crossing the road berm white line and headed down into a shallow ditch. On a straight road with zero traffic!!!! I picked a good line for a 150lb dirt bike with knobby tires, could do it all day. But the 850lb Harley with street tires didn’t like that line. I chose poorly.

Next thing I remember is spitting out some dirt and grass (and choice words) while laying in ditch on my left side. Harley was 10 ft behind me on her left side too. I was moaning and cussing, she was still playing some hairband music from my iPod. I propped myself up with my left arm straight and legs curled under me, in an attempt to get up. I knew then I had broken ribs and collarbone, just by the movements I felt. That’s as far as I got.

My riding buddies hadn’t backtracked yet looking for me. Several Good Samaritans stopped and checked my neck, eyes, head, and pulse, and told me not to move any more. They also turned off the music so I could enjoy nature. The pain was making breathing harder. Ambulance arrived within 5 min, and getting on the backboard was another story in itself. Off to Marion, NC Hospital we went. The Med tech failed to get an IV installed after several attempts. So that ride was rough. Not fun.

Once in Marion ER, an IV was quickly installed and I went to la-la land. Scans and xrays showed the damage was isolated to my upper left torso. Marion ER folks decided my injuries were above their treatment scale, so it was decided to transport to Asheville Mission Hospital that evening. None of this I remembered.

I was admitted to Trauma ICU. Final results: broken left collarbone and shoulder blade, 9 rib fractures scattered amongst ribs 3-9 (several lucky ribs had multiple breaks), and a punctured left lung. Some additional road rash on left arm/shoulder/torso. Nothing on either leg or torso, and scratches on right arm. No head, neck, or back injuries. Yes I was wearing a real helmet! No surgery deemed necessary. I was on a respirator, had a chest cavity vacuum drain inserted, a feeding tube poking out my nose, and a catheter thrown in for good measure. On a pain scale of 1-10, I was easily 15. I don’t remember much, due to heavy sedation, until Monday May 6. That wasn’t until my pain level plummeted to 12.

I was on the respirator and feeding tube until Weds May 8 when I was transferred to Trauma ward. Removal of those two items is a story for another day! My sign language needs work, as writing with my right hand wouldn’t cut it. The chest cavity drain tube and catheter were removed Sunday May 12. Although no appetite yet, I was permitted to eat solid foods. PT had me up walking now. I can still feel rib movements, so the pain level spikes pretty quick. But it’s better every day. Nominal pain level fluctuates between 5-8, depending on activity. Lung capacity actually feels close to normal too.

The Harley is expected to be totaled. My wife likes that. She suggested bird watching as a new hobby. Guess maybe from a hang glider would be cool......

Tuesday May 14 was transfer day to CarePartners Rehabilitation Hospital in Asheville for inpatient PT. There’s no way I could survive a trip to a Huntsville rehabilitation facility. They assessed it at about 7 days in-patient PT should suffice to get me able to drive 7 hrs home. Out-patient PT rehab needs will be assessed at that time.

This accident was 110% my fault. No excuses.

Apologies for no pics. I'm just glad to be upright and breathing. Be safe out there folks!
    StinkyCheese and ultrasheen like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Glad you're going to be ok. :thumb
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  15. 68vette

68vette Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery !
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  16. mynamewasmud

mynamewasmud Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    West "By God" Virgina transplant, Ohio, VT
    Damn dude, glad to hear you are Okayish.
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  17. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're relatively ok. Nice report. I'm from Ohio, not far from your original home by the looks of it. (New Philadelphia). Heal quickly!
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  18. ultrasheen

ultrasheen vox nihili Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a rotten ending to your trip. But the best is yet to come: bike shopping!
    BuckeyeDoug likes this.
  19. BuckeyeDoug

BuckeyeDoug Not a Pirate

Oddometer:
    It will cost me more than that - a divorce or expensive jewelry!!!!!
    klaviator, motorjon68 and ultrasheen like this.
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Get well soon! I know crashing sucks and it's your fault but it can happen to any of us. Several years ago I was leaving Damascus, Va on my Aprilia on a wet road. I was taking it easy going about 25 MPH on a very gentle curve and barely accelerating when the back tire just broke loose and I was down before I knew it. I have no idea what happened and couldn't find anything slick on the road:dunno Since I wasn't going very fast there was very little damage to me or my bike but a lot of damage to my confidence in the rain and my ego.

So what kind of bike you thinking of getting next?:D
    BuckeyeDoug and ultrasheen like this.