Yankee staying in Nacogdoches area..Any riding at all?

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by CopyCat, Oct 21, 2018.

1. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Greetings. I have been looking for a winter retreat and refuse to do Florida. I drove through the Pineywoods last year on the way to The Handbuilt Show in Austin and was impressed at how closely it resembled Wisconsin ( which I love in the summer). I am planning on coming down and bringing the D, camping around the areas National Forests, and doing some riding whilst exploring the area with an eye to snowbird.

Is there any OHV riding opportunities around the area? Ive looked and it seems there are some OHV stuff in the Davy Crocket NF but I'm not having much luck elsewhere. Any suggestions from locals?
    Steve
  2. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very very very limited except for a couple small private areas. Had no idea there was any ohv area in the D Crockett.
  3. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I stand corrected on the OHV in the forest. I found an MVUM and it seems have to be highway legal and there are NOT very many trails. Are you from the area, MartiniUp?
  4. ReadyorNot

ReadyorNot professional olde phart Supporter

Oddometer:
    texass is a strange place....in many ways....second largest in area, with very little public lands....and most of them off limits for motorized usage. used to be a private holding out of nac for dirt riders (cycleland) - ask around at area dealerships (was run by family that owned honda store years ago...)

crockett forest still has some access in Huntsville area....search for Trail Riders of Houston....they did the leg work and jumped through FS hoops for many years keeping that open.....

sad fact is that 40-50 miles south of nac the landforms begin to flatten out, little elevation and lots of ground water.....the resulting trails aren't all that good, and they're a bitch to maintain.

100 miles north is Barnwell Mtn. Rec Area at gilmer....it's one of two symm's act federal funded ohv parks in texass.....great topo's and serious trails, but pretty demanding riding.....search TMTC & BMRA...
    100 miles east into louisiana is pleasant hill....again, NF with limited access and many rules.....but it's used for annual enduros.....search blackjack enduro circuit, and southern enduro riders association, TSCEC.

hope this is some help, but the truth is this area has little to offer dirt riders.....
    CopyCat likes this.
  5. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Use your google fu to look up East Texas 450, East Texas 500 or East Texas 750 on Two Wheeled Texans - twtex.com. The tracks will take you through some pretty bad county roads which is probably the next best thing. Most of East Texas is sandy. There are some multi use trails in Sam Houston National Forest north of Houston, but they are not always open. In the fall the forests are often filled with hunters. Some of the smarter ones see bikes as a way to spook up deer. Some of the others see bikes as a nuisance. Either way, riding during hunting season is not the best idea. I've had hunters try to race to stay ahead of me on four wheelers and trucks. Sorry to roost the guys, but when you got to pass, you got to pass...
    CopyCat likes this.
  6. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 100 miles south right on the TX/LA border. NF riding in TX is very very limited and too often closed to a myriad of rules not found in neighboring states. The other option is dualsport that is limited also. Fun dirt roads in the E-TX region are dwindling, most are a pure bore.
  7. woodsguy

woodsguy KTM Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Cycleland is still there and I'm a current member, if looking for true single track with proper offroad bike I'd be glad to get you a guest ride. Place has 120 members and still has a waiting list!
    SHNF near Huntsville has almost a 100 miles of OHV trails BUT it's divided into 2 sides, eastside is still closed from erosion from Harvey. Westside is open pending recent rains.
    Barnwell mountain isn't far from Nacogdoches area, pretty technical riding for Tx
    Go to www.twtex.com for adv type riding if you lean that way. For Cycleland drop a pm. Rob