Yanni's BIG Helmetcam Adventure and Report!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by yanni23, Jun 22, 2008.

1. yanni23

yanni23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We'll start with Week 1's guided tour. These boys RODE their XRL and DRZ from the coast of NC to come out and ride a 150-mile DS'er with me here in the mountains of WNC/EastTN, then rode 'em back...BALLZ. Keep in mind that I'm in the mountains of NC...about a 7 hour drive from where they live.

This ride consisted of seriously twisty pavement, un-maintained FS roads, singletrack, 2-track, and 4wd roads. The weather was perfect until the rain came somewhere in Tennessee, and then the ridin' was great! I'm gonna let the pics and vids do the talkin' for me on this go-round.

There's a ton of great pics in here and be sure to check out the helmetcam vid. <A href="http://www.dualsportarmory.com/" target=_blank>www.dualsportarmory.com handled my footage for me. They know dual-sport better than any I know and their production work shows because I suck at editing, and they don't. Here's Week 1.

HERE IS THE HELMETCAM ACTION. GO TO <A href="http://www.dualsportarmory.com/" target=_blank>www.dualsportarmory.com. CLICK ON ''VIDEOS'' AND MINE'S AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

OR YOU CAN JUST VIEW IT HERE...SORRY I FORGOT I COULD LINK IT.

file://<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCTUwej-TvE&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZCTUwej-TvE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FIRST STOP, HILLCLIMB.
    [​IMG]

MR. DRZ'S FACE SAYS IT ALL...
    [​IMG]

WE CONTINUE THE TOUR ON SOME FS ROADS.
    [​IMG]

TIME FOR A BREAK.
    [​IMG]

4WD ROADS ALONG A CREEK.
    [​IMG]

I CAN'T STAND IT. TIME TO HIT THE GOODS.
    [​IMG]

BREAK-TIME AGAIN.
    [​IMG]

MORE OF THE GOODS.
    [​IMG]

IT JUST KEEPS ON GOIN'.
    [​IMG]

BEFORE A DRZ FELL IN...
    [​IMG]

AND AFTER.
    [​IMG]

TWISTY TIME.
    [​IMG]

UN-MAINTAINED FS ROADS UNDERNEATH THE DRZ.
    [​IMG]

RARIN' TO GO.
    [​IMG]

GOTTA GO LOG JUMPIN' NOW.
    [​IMG]

THESE GUYS ARE BROTHERS AND KNOW HOW TO HAVE A GOOD TIME. THEY SAID THEY'LL BOTH BE BACK FOR A VISIT NEXT MONTH AND I CAN'T WAIT.
    [​IMG]

COMIN' OUT OF THE WOODS. THEN WE ROUNDED 'ER BACK TO WAYNESVILLE, NC. COME ON BACK GUYS! END OF WEEK 1.
    [​IMG]

Time for Week 2. These DixieDualSporters drove up from Tampa with their '02 KTM 520, and '05 KTM 525. We held a great pace on this 2-day affair with these seasoned riders. Day 1 was the same area, but a different route, as the one with the NC boys. Day 2 too, however, was the Nantahala National Forest.

We put in 170 miles on Day 1 and 120 miles on Day 2. Temps and weather were awesome and it only rained briefly on the second day. Miles upon miles of un-maintained FS roads/trails was the name of the game on Day 2, with hardly any pavement to speak of. Really there wasn't much gravel...just hardcore offroad stuff all day long. Here ya go!

DAY 1...WELCOME TO MY WORLD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MEET THE BIKES...YANNI'S 2005 HONDA CRF450X. 10,000 MILES AND STILL ROLLIN'
    [​IMG]

2002 KTM 520 THAT'S HARD TO START.
    [​IMG]

2005 KTM 525 THAT'S EASY TO START.
    [​IMG]

MY RIDERS FOR THE DAY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LET'S GO. 2 LANE RIDIN' THROUGH THE WNC COUNTRY IS ALWAYS AN EXPERIENCE.
    [​IMG]

ENOUGH PAVEMENT. THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS WE GO.
    [​IMG]

COMIN' UP.
    [​IMG]

WE THEN WENT FROM THIS...
    [​IMG]

...TO YANNI'S TOP-SECRET SINGLETRACK FACILITY.
    [​IMG]

TIGHT AND STEEP.
    [​IMG]

THEY'RE HAVIN' A BALL.
    [​IMG]

ALL BY OURSELVES. WITH JUST THE TREES TO OBSERVE OUR DUAL-SPORT BLISS.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

WE VISITED ALL KINDS OF COOL PLACES.
    [​IMG]

AND RODE MANY A CREEK CROSSIN'.
    [​IMG]

I'M HUNGRY AFTER 70 MILES. SO WE HEAD DOWN THE MOUNTAIN TO GET SOME GRUB.
    [​IMG]

THEY'RE LIKE...''ARE THOSE DIRTBIKES?''
    [​IMG]

REMINDS ME OF A BOB SEGER SONG.
    [​IMG]

THEY HAVE SOME DECENT WINGS, AND NOT SO DECENT SERVICE. WHO CARES? THEY HAVE BEER.
    [​IMG]

ENOUGH MESSIN' AROUND. LET'S GET OUTTA TOWN.
    [​IMG]

CAREFUL OVER THERE!
    [​IMG]

SPLASHIN' A LITTLE.
    [​IMG]

TIME FOR ROUND 2 OF YANNI'S TOP-SECRET SINGLETRACK TEST FACILITY.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YES, THERE IS ACTUALLY A TRAIL THERE. I MADE IT MYSELF!
    [​IMG]

CARNAGE! I LOVE IT! MY TERRAFLEXXED 450X MADE IT WITH ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS. DIDN'T EVEN GET OUT OF 1ST GEAR. THESE TRACKMASTER SHOD KATOOMS, HOWEVER, HAD A LITTLE MORE DIFFICULT TIME.
    [​IMG]

WE AIN'T OUT OF THE WOODS YET. WELL, ACTUALLY WE ARE. LET'S GO POUND SOME TWISTIES.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NOW LET'S TAKE A BREAK AND GIVE A SHORT HISTORY LESSON.
    [​IMG]

BORED AGAIN. LET'S HIT THE CREEK FOR SOME CLOSE CALLS.
    [​IMG]

AND MAYBE A BRIDGE OR 2. END OF DAY 1 AND EVERYONE'S ALIVE.
    [​IMG]

DAY 2. LET'S GO RIDIN'.

OF COURSE WE AIN'T GONNA TAKE THE HIGHWAY. THE BEST BACKROADS OF WNC WILL SUFFICE.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER 20 MILES OF BACKROADS, IT'S TIME TO GET DIRTY.
    [​IMG]

I FEEL LIKE FOLLOWING TODAY. I GIVE THE BOYZ THE DIRECTIONS OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, AND TELL THEM TO WAIT FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS AT THE NEXT TRAIL INTERSECTION.
    [​IMG]

HOT ON THEIR HEELS.
    [​IMG]

ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'...
    [​IMG]

IT DOESN'T GET MUCH BETTER.
    [​IMG]

STOP FOR A POSE 'CAUSE I'M A POSER.
    [​IMG]

ENOUGH. LET'S HIT ROUND 3 OF YANNI'S TOP-SECRET SINGLETRACK TEST FACILITY.
    [​IMG]

IT STARTS OUT LIKE THIS...
    [​IMG]

AND LEADS US TO OUR NEXT BREAK.
    [​IMG]

NOW LET'S HIT SOME MORE SINGLETRACK.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IT GETS A LITTLE HAIRY AGAIN ONCE WE GET BACK ON SOME 4WD ROADS.
    [​IMG]

THEN IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER COOLDOWN.
    [​IMG]

NOT LONG AFTERWARDS, THE BOYZ WERE WIPED OUT. END OF DAY 2. AND WITH THAT BEING SAID...YANNI OUT!
    [​IMG]
  2. averagejoe

averagejoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write up Yanni! :clap I wish we had that kind of terrain around here.

Doug
    Dual Sport Armory
  3. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    that kind of riding is part of why i live here. i just hope that yanni doesn't get the legal stuff shut down by doing his illegal single track poaching.

this should be in Vendor Forum :spam
  4. jimmaggie4343

jimmaggie4343 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spaaam!
  5. yanni23

yanni23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you were at the ADV rally, you could have ridden all this. I shed a tear that day. :D
  6. jimmaggie4343

jimmaggie4343 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's grab a park ranger and see how much was actually legal, bet it would be an interesting conversation!
  7. Sloppy

Sloppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet another cool video, made irritating by music that drowns out the engine noises. It's just no fun watching without sound, y'know?

Love the pictures, though!
  8. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The music drowns out the engine noise because the wind noise from the cam would make you want to stab your eyeballs out.:evil
  9. mel brooks

mel brooks Dirt Chick

Oddometer:
    " YES, THERE IS ACTUALLY A TRAIL THERE. I MADE IT MYSELF!"

I've spoken with rangers, and if you're on anything that isn't marked as a legal road or trail, it's ILLEGAL. Cutting your own trails through state forests is most definately not legal. :eek1

I got no problem with you making a few bucks doing what you love Yanni, but shit like this will likely get more and more stuff closed for the rest of us who are trying to stay legal and not annoy the rangers and the locals.
  10. KayaKTM

KayaKTM Day trippin'

Oddometer:
    i did make it to the ADV rally, just got out front 5 min. after 9am and the crew was gone already. I shed a tear that day, too. :lol3

so why don't you take jimmaggie, a ranger, and i on a tour of your single track, to make it up to us? :ear

11. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Advertising belongs in vendors, no warnings from now on, I'm done with this.
  12. Sloppy

Sloppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oh man, that's a softball pitch :rofl
  13. husky123

husky123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well then hit it big boy.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    I rode with Yanni at the Eastern Rendezvous. We didn't go around any gates or chains. We didn't pass any signs that marked any of the trails off limits. Everything looked plenty legal to me. Yanni was a great guide and a humble and personable host.

I will be back to ride with him again. :thumb
  15. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:

I've watched and watched as Yanni (really dude, do you need to refer to yourself in the 3rd person all the time? :huh ) posts this stuff in the SE forum. I've bitten my tongue for awhile but I have got to say dude you are only going to hurt yourself by leading TOUR GROUPS through all this illegal trails. Trust me, I know! I've done the same thing and I fully regret it! I really didn't want to say anything b/c I don't want to come off as preachy but I guess it is what it is. It's one thing to run through stuff like this on occassion by yourself or with one other rider but to continually run small groups of riders eventually it will catch up to you.

What have you got in terms of permits? I'm sure you have to have some sort of agreement with the forest service to make money by running tour groups through the forest.

What happens when the day comes that a ranger is waiting for you on the other side of your 'Yanni Secret Singletrack Test Site' and you're leading a group of riders who paid to ride with you? You're gonna eventually have some riders that will consider seeking legal action because they gave you money to lead them on a tour through (what they thought) was 100% legal riding areas. Are you an LLC? Is your home, your vehicles, your land, etc protected against a lawsuit? Don't think the gov't won't come at you for reparition for damages to the land you have been 'making trails yourself' on because they will. Especially if you are profiting on it.

I must add in that Mel Brooks is right. If a road or trail is not numbered or marked as OPEN then you must assume it is closed. Yeah, this logic is completely RETARDED but that is how it is. Just because you don't see a sign don't mean shit.

Anyways, I honestly do congratulate you for finding a way to make some $ based on what you love...that is truly a remarkable feat. Now, if you could just find a way to make it all legit. A true enthusiast would do everything he could to protect the land he loves so much, instead you are just ignorantly destroying it. Maybe you don't see it now, but you will eventually.

Just so you know I am only trying to relate to you...do a search for Flux's Big Adventure, and then the Canada Creek Ticket Thread. I've done 3 of the FBAs, and they were all fun as hell. But the problem is that eventually I started figuring out that lots of the trails I was running were not legal. I did end up getting a ticket on one of them (though not during a FBA thank god). Another issue I brought on by doing these rides was that some people were tracking the route via GPS. That's fine, I don't by any means claim to own any of the land we rode on. But the issue is that these folks would get back from the trip and in their post ride excitedness...post pics of some of the cool spots, locations, and the freakin GPS track of the entire day! I am sure some of the illegal trails (which are always tons of fun, no argument there) kept on getting run and run and run after the ride. Personally, if I'm on one of those sorts of trails, I try to limit how often I run them so as to not let law enforcement and locals know I'm there. Little things like ruts, trampled vegetation, and dirt on the access road all point a finger to illegal riding going on. Eventually it goes on long enough that somebody gets pissed and before you know it rangers or cops are actively SEARCHING OUT riders.

Here in North GA the favorite local dual sport and street riding area is Suches and motorcycling here on the weekends completely annoys the locals, and you know what? I don't blame them! This place is going to hell in a handbasket...ALL the good forest roads have gotten closed off. There is one good one left but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before its gone, too. And anyways, it's not even THAT good since it was leveled out a few years ago. :cry

Anyways, Yanni, I hope you take this post to heart. I am not saying do not enjoy your favorite trails, I am just saying be smart about it dude. I took the time to write this mountain of mumbo-jumbo because I care, not because I am trying to pick a fight. I would love to meet you someday and do some riding, let's just not let the whole world know we're there (after all, the greenie types read these boards as much as us ADVriders do.) :thumb

Ride on. :ricky
  16. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Also, the plural form of most wordz usually does not end in a 'z.' :pot It's time to take 'Biker Boyz' outta the Netflix rotation. :D just kidding, dude, i just needed to lighten everything up a little! :thumb
  17. yanni23

yanni23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. :thumb