1. eNewsletter Sign Up

YBN Chains

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by marxcr, Jun 18, 2019.

1. marxcr

marxcr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I had to buy a YBN chain recently during an emergency as this was the only option. I have never heard of them and couldn't find any reviews online either.

So far I have ridden about 100km on a F700GS and it seems decent.

My plan was to make it home and then order the DID I usually buy. But to be honest I was surprised it did not look as crappy as I expected and has responded ok so far. So I am thinking I may keep it for a little longer to see how it manages.

Anyone has any experience with the brand?
  2. DarkOdeus

DarkOdeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No idea about the brand though for something like a chain I wouldn't risk it and personally replace with a known brand.

Snapping a chain can be catastrophic for both rider and bike and just isn't worth the risk.

You said it holds up well for about 100km but honestly pretty much anything can hold up well for 100km. Just because you could patch a tire and have it last without leaking for 100km doesn't mean you shouldn't replace it.

Replacing the chain is cheap insurance to prevent getting stuck on the side of the road or worse.

Just my two cents.
    marxcr likes this.
  3. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't risk it. There isn't really anything stopping a broken chain from piling up on the leading edge of the countershaft sprocket which usually ends up cracking open the engine.

Why was the chain an emergency install? Chains aren't usually something that falls into that category but stuff happens, I get it.

I'd be inclined to go with the DID chain and some fresh sprockets to be confident about things vs. the unknown brand purchased in an emergency and just chalk up the emergency chain as the cost it took to get home or whatever.
    marxcr likes this.
  4. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    marxcr likes this.