Year by year rundown of LC changes and known issues?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by dirty_t, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the announcement of the engine update for 2019, I’m getting a bit curious about the LC’s. My 2012 Camhead has been and continues to be a great bike - I love its simplicity and reliability.

With the announcement of the new engine, though, I figure it won’t be long before low-mileage LCs start showing up in great numbers on the used market, so I’m wondering what the main differences are from one year to the next. Any pointers to lists here or elsewhere on the web?

Thanks.
    T
  2. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biggest thing 13-16 is pretty much the same. With water cooling in the 13 and on.

17-18 got a pretty big transmission upgrade.

Now there was a shock issue which was a stop ride issue on the RT only not sure what year that was 14 I think.

There was a fork issue on GS/A that got reinforcements installed I think 15-17.

There is a variant like my 17.5 that has everything a 18 GS has including the slight body work changes.

Other then that it is all options and packages from factory.

I can say the transmission on my 15 RT was total crap compared to my 17.5. However you hear others say it is not that much better and no big deal. Again my experience is night and day.

Others will be along to refine this I hope.

Also here is a link that does a good job on GS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200GS
    mikegc, Boxerbreath and dirty_t like this.
  3. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the 16+ were available with cornering ABS Pro as part of the premium package
    https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycle...w-r-1200-gs-r-1200-gs-adventure-ar171038.html
    https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/bmw-offers-retro-fit-cornering-abs-for-s1000rr

I believe the 2016 GSAs had the "judder damper" transmission upgrade and the the 2017 GS got it
    http://onlinemotorcyclemagazine.org...el-facelifts-we-have-the-dirty-details-607012
    https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/296784/2017-Model-Update-Liquid-Cooled-Boxer-Line.htm
    dirty_t likes this.
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My ‘16 GSA has cornering ABS

ETA: I think the Judder dampener was on it too being a GSA. If it’s not then I don’t know the difference and do t care.
    dirty_t likes this.
  5. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    as far as issues though...other than a couple of recalls I don’t know of any common issues.

I waited for a few years to see that proven before I finally pulled the trigger.
  6. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good information.

Here is what I knew to be of the transmission updates and I thought they were across the board on the 17 model year. It was a extensive list and was fitted with a judder (definition: an instance of rapid and forceful shaking and vibration) damper on the transmission output shaft. New features also include a revised selector drum actuator, transmission shafts, and transmission shaft bearing.

If I was buying a LC bike it would be the must have item of any of them I would need.
  7. OzRider64

OzRider64 Friggen slow Adventurer.

Oddometer:
    Another side note, 2015 GSW’s up received the heavier crankshaft.
    LAFS likes this.
  8. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has the potential to be a really cool thread.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  9. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For GS (& GSA):
    The 2013 could not be fitted with GSAP, but had the lighter flywheel and a slightly different frame than later years.
    The 2013 and early 2014 had different upper fork crimps (dimple) than the problematic ones on later years.
    The stator was superceded in 2015(?).
    The heated grips were superceded and work better after 2015(?).
    Engine/frame changed to black paint in 2016, IIRC.

FWIW, the transmission could be hit or miss on the earlier bikes. My 2013 gearbox has been fine, and seems robust. It shifts better now at 40k miles than it did when new. People who have "good" ones are probably the ones who haven't noticed much difference versus later years. Hopefully BMW has lowered the variability in quality for 2017+. The magazine reviewers seem to really like how the 2018 shifts.
    mkccowboy likes this.
  10. pezracer

pezracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can’t forget, the 2018 added the TFT display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    personally Having had a 14 GSA and now a 18 GSA ... TFT display is a game changer 17.5 on I believe ..I would have been very dissapointed if I had bought a 17 and saw the newer ones with the TFT display... Smoother shifting, Headlight and accessory lights are different than the 14's so I assume they are better? engine slightly quieter and smoother IMHO.... Traction control and ABS works in the corners when leaned over.. Someone mentioned better alternator? up till and including 14 Heated grips SUCK had mine swapped to a 15 under warranty BUT made a nuisance PITA of myself to get it done. The 14 GSA on has the heavier flywheel.. while the GS didn't get the heavier flywheel till 15... Same I believe with steering damper ??? Following not a big deal in my mind BUT- Keyless ride 15 on, shift assist15 on?? Hill assist 15 on ?? not sure on the last 3..
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had not heard that the headlight was different. How? I had not heard of an updated stator either. The steering damper came in 2014.
    Rockred likes this.
  13. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    Could be wrong but I think the damper was on the 14 GSA on , But not on the 14 GS... as My buddies 14 GS didn't have one.
    Headlight and accessory lights on the 18 GSA are totally different construction than my 14 GSA ...As stated above Sorry don't know difference in lumens, distance etc.. But very obvious just looking at them they are different.
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I had not noticed a difference in the lights.

The 14GS had the damper too, maybe you had a very early model 14, or something.
  15. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe we are identifying that in 2014 the LED was optional? I don't think halogen is even available on the 2018???
  16. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    Very early 14 Feb. build .. I think the damper started going on after March ,April
    Yes definetly on the lights..I tried but could not find specs on it...Maybe someone in the dealer-Motorrad loop would know
  17. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    On my 14 GSA it came with the premium package LED Headlight as does my 18... If you look at both immediately notice they look different
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    It is still optional, but you have to special order it like I did. Dealers won't stock them like that because they make less profit on them.
  19. Bikerboy108

Oddometer:
    Light 1.jpg

Light 2.jpg
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That 14 photo is with a Halogen light, not the LED. The top one looks to have a headlight protector on it. Mine is a Halogen.

LED 14-17:
    [​IMG]

From what I can tell by a quick search, the 2018 has a slightly revised vent, but it otherwise the same.
    AdamChandler likes this.