Year Long riding?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Sep 6, 2005.

1. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    How many of you guys ride all year long? Not you southern guys I am talking about the snow states. Any advice for this type of riding? I am planning on doing this all year long but would like some tips on gear, tires, what to watch out for ect. I have rode some cold days but never all year long.
    Thanks
    Ed
  2. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:

I ride until its not safe. Steel bridges are the worst. They can be frosted over when the air temp is just below freezing.

I use a Aerostich Darian suit. I use a fleece liner and a electric vest. I also use a neck sock. With this I am good to go to below zero F.

Good luck and ride on.
  3. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't ride on pavement once it gets to be freezing weather - mainly because the DOT shoots deicer crap all over the place, and that stuff is pure poison for magnesium and aluminum. It has already wrecked my aluminum utility trailer, and I don't want that to happen to my 525 EXC.

John Davies
  4. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last winter I tried to ride my bike at least once a week, even it was only commuting. The longest I went without riding was 2 weeks. That way, one doesn't have to "winterize" the bike. :D
  5. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    A few guys up this way, ride dirt all winter. There are always a lot of threads on local forums when the snow starts, on preferences regarding screws or studs. Not many actually running "spikes".

Jetting changes may be needed for the cold air.

Riding street in below freezing weather is a scary proposition. Even on a nice sunny day, the sun may have released melt water from snow banks, which runs across the travel lane, and then re-freezes when the sun angle changes. Plus all the de-icer on the road, to corrode your bike.
  6. I usually ride into middle December and get back on in Febuary sometime. I'm usually more wary of springtime becuase the thaw/refreeze cycle is what scares me. If it snows in December the conditions are usually pretty uniform but when stuff is thawing and refreezing you never know where you will find a patch of ice. Also up here in Minnesota the main roads are generally pretty clean but it's the side streets that are sketchy. The city generally does a pretty good job.

I think DruiD said it best this weekend about aquiring dirt skills, "you won't get any better if you are dead". Take it slow and if you are uncomfortable, trust your instincts. Pretty well said.
  7. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And what's wrong with us southern guys? It does get cold here too! Maybe nothing like the frozen tundra you have to contend with. Snow? Not a chance! I've never seen ice form on any of our roads. Of course I've only lived here for about 31 years now.
  8. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
  9. Eriksson

Eriksson Isthatdirtinyourpocket?

Oddometer:
    That's what I bought an old 550K for. Drop the tire pressures, electric vest, Aerostich, some common sense stirred in with a little insanity. I don't ride every day straight through the calendar, but when the thaws come in February and I know the cabin fever is peakin the 550 waits to be flogged. Have fun is what it's about.
  10. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link and write up Dysco.

I know they make studded tires for winter enduro and ice riders, but they
    are a bit extreme. Always thought it would be nice to take the bike to
    Tahoe in the winter with a milder profile stud. Probably insane.:eek1

Dysco's F650 write up.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/faq-tires.htm#Studding%20Motorcycle%20tires

[​IMG]
  11. Dysco

Dysco Distracted

Oddometer:
    Not insane. Totally doable. Stud your rubber, layer up, and ride. Easy as pie.
  12. jasonixo

jasonixo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not really, just a Pennsylvanian transplanted into Georgia... Anyways, it can get cold enough down here to make driving/riding dangerous, so maybe I'm qualified to make a post... hehe-

I've only been though one winter on a bike, but I have learned a few things...

-Warm doesn't equal wind-proof. Both are important.
    -A lot of stiches and seams and zippers means a lot of ventilation, which is bad when the air is below freezing. Those articulated, armored, unvented gloves vent really well.
    -Flannel pajama pants are great winter boxers
    -The best cold-weather gear I bought (after the jacket) was a balaclava. Fleece is actuallt pretty windproof!
    -With a good helmet and jacket, an upper fairing can do more harm than good. I replaced my small windscreen with a GIVI headlight fairing/windshield and the only difference i noticed was a lot of fogging in my visor.
  13. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Don't remember the name but the I believe the Scandanavians make one bad ass studded tire for DS bikes. They are expensive but hey, what are ya a cheap bastage? :lol3 One of the Canucks will know the name of them if they bother looking in here; your title is a bit vague.
  14. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    It was Trellborg, but they sold or licensed their molds to another
    european company called Mitas A/S? I found the trellborg site,
    but no more MC tires or even a link to Mitas.
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    is nothing sacred?!? :arg

Now called Mitas-Trelleborg
    http://www.cgs.cz/index.php?stranka=4&scid=337

[​IMG]
  16. maverick

maverick Lost South-African..

Oddometer:
    I ride all year every year any season any weather. It snowed a fair bit in the UK last February but still rode my bike.

Kit wise - found as long as your feet and upper body is warm you should be ok.

I don't have a heated vest but wear a fairly expensive fleece under my winter leather jacket.

Goretex trousers with some long underpants does the trick, proper preferably waterproof socks of some sort like Sealskinz and if you don't have heated gloves the 3 finger type work pretty well.

[​IMG]

Boots obviously something waterproof and a size bigger so you can wear those thick socks with sufficient circulation.

A fleecy neck cover of some sort and that about gets me through the winter. I try to ride as long as possible with my summer gear which hardens me up for the winter :huh I think :lol3

This was one winter morning ready to roll...

[​IMG]

If you get up and some little voice tell you to rather take alternative transport in the winter listen to it - it's your common sense kicking in and worthwhile taking note :deal
  17. LC4CARL

LC4CARL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We went up the hill.

[​IMG]

We went down the hill.

[​IMG]

We all fell down.

[​IMG]
  18. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Nothing at all is wrong with you guys.
    Thanks guys some great tips, Ill tell you all about it come Feburary.
  19. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After reading all the posts about studded tires and such, my memory kind of got jogged.

Back in the late 60's I was stationed in northern Japan. The locals rode mostly Honda 70's and 90's, you know the step through kind.

We had our share of big snows and I remember one day watching a local deliver guy riding his Honda carrying a pile of noodle trays on the back with his feet sticking almost straight out. The thing that caught my attention was that he had CHAINS on the rear tire - you know the kind of full tire chains that those of you in frigid climates all have! It was awesome watching him working the clutch to keep that bike upright as he went.

I was quite impressed. Thanks for the memories!
  20. jonb

jonb Montana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    throw the bikes on the trailer and head to a place close by that recieves less snow and more sun. Usually about an hour or less travel. Its always dicey in the shadowy corners no matter.