Yellow GS over the bank on the haul road

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Tom S, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Friend sent this link to “another motorcycle blog”. Guy is reporting about his ride up to Deadhorse, they were apparently there today.
    They found a bike off the road & later learned that the rider had been air evacuated.
    He doesn’t say what plates were on the bike.
    There are a couple pix of the bike near the bottom of the page with the below text.
    http://bobmunden.blogspot.com/

<HR>About half way we came across this off the side of the road. No one around. We had seen this bike yesterday in Coldfoot and it's rider was travelling with a couple of others and left before us. It is a BMW GS series bike and extremely capable in these conditions and equipped to the "nines". There was no one around as we searched in the underbrush and tundra for a body. No one. Interestingly there is no sign on the road as to why he went off. Just the tire track veering towards the drop off and no signs of even heavy brake usage.

It's hard to see from these photos but it stopped rather abruptly at a trough of rock and it would appear that it won't be going anywhere soon - if ever - after they drag it up to the road again. No idea what happened to the rider but all of his gear was still on it or scattered around.

Unfortunately there was nothing more we could do so we carried on in a somewhat somber mood. EDIT: found out later that they air evacuated the rider and he was still alive. No other info. The remainder of the trip was simply a long 25 to 30 mph (real scary fast under the circumstances) slog to Deadhorse. The trip took over 9 hours to go 255 miles. Every one of those miles was, it seemed, earned the hard way. Slow and steady persistence overcame the rain and cold. It paid off with the wonderful sight of civilization again as we neared Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay) <HR>
  2. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    The rider is in good shape (broken thumbs, possibly a rib or two), and the bike is being shipped south likely today.

3. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
    Boo 2010 Yellow GSA down! I hope the rider heals quick and get to ride the bike again soon. I'd love to hear what happened to cause the incident, and what happened to the bike in the process.
  4. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As of about 10 mins ago. I saw 2 yellow ADV's still hanging in dead horse. One was in the back of a truck and look in not so good shape.
  5. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
    That's too bad. :( I think dad and I are going to forgo any Dalton/Dempster action this year.
  6. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look familiar?

Glad he's OK.

Attached Files:

7. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Hope the rider heals well and quickly.
    Looks like he will have a project to contemplate during recovery.
  8. 4ad

4ad ochlacrat

Oddometer:
    Whats the prob?...just ride it out & suck up the pain!!!
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    ?????:huh:huh
  10. AKtracks

Oddometer:
    :asshat
  11. marbee40

marbee40 Some Fear is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    :mulie :fight For REAL???
  12. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The damage really isn't that bad. It will be a few bucks to replace some of the parts. I hope he gets a chance to complete his trip next year. At least that what I would tell my wife "Hey I still need to make it to Dead horse!" :evil
  13. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was the thought I was trying to convey. You have gift Tracks, a real gift with words.
  14. AKtracks

Oddometer:
    An artist such as myself works with the tools he's given.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Hey! I know those two bikes

Hi from James and Colleen we met you in Hyder :clap:clap

Sorry for the thread hijack, hope the downed rider heals well :deal
  16. TouringJoe

TouringJoe n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. I was riding the bike at the time of the accident.

What happened was that I was riding like an idiot doing 80 miles/hour on the part of the road that was covered with dry calcium chloride and hit a stretch of deep gravel and lost control.

I got lucky. Got away with 2 minor fractures in my right arm. The bike was towed to Dead Horse and then shipped to Adventure Cycleworks in Fairbanks for repairs and we will reunite on August 21st to finish the trip.

Up to that point we spent 4 weeks riding from Los Angeles through Santa Fe NM, Colorado, Black Hills of SD, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, the Canadian Rockies and everything on the way to Alaska for a total of 7,000 miles. You can check our blog, with hundreds of photos, at blog.jemalaska.com.

Looking forward to touring the rest of Alaska.

Thanks to all of you that expressed sympathy.
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know of course Joe, now that you are on the road to recovery and have made yourself known on the forum, the sympathy will turn-in to mockery and brutal criticism. Just the way people around here welcome new friends. :D

When I saw your rig over at Adventure CycleWorks it was referred as the "parts bike.":eek1
  18. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome ADVn00b TouringJoe.

Glad to hear you and the bike are okay and doing the rest of your trip.

Have fun, Mark H.
  19. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe, saw 2 Yellow ADV's hanging in Deadhorse. How do you like the J&M CB's?

Glad to hear you didn't need me to ride your bike back to Cali for you!! :rofl
  20. Skinny Moose

Skinny Moose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Joe, glad to hear you didn't get beat up too badly. When I saw the pic my first thought was a washout on loose gravel...definately have to keep an eye out for that stuff. :evil