Yellowknife info

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RonS, Jul 14, 2005.

1. RonS

RonS Out there... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two of us are heading up to Yellowknife on Monday. Perhaps those of you who have been there would answer a few questions.

Is the better route out of Edmonton via 44 and 88 through Fort Vermilion or out of Gran Prairie via 2 and 35 through Manning and Keg river? Both end up at High Level on 35.

What is gas availability like on 88 verses 35? Looks like no towns from Slave Lake to Fort Vermilion which is a pretty good distance.

What is the longest stretch without gas after High Level?

Is it worth cutting over on 2 to Fort Resolution on the southern end of the Great Slave Lake?

Once you turn off west toward Fort Simpson is there any gas available before Fort Nelson? What's the longest run between gas stops?

Any must see places or must do things on the way to Yellowknife, in Yellowknife or heading west to Fort Nelson via Fort Simpson? Any other recomendations?

Thanks - RonS
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
  4. RonS

RonS Out there... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm postponed from WetLeather currently. Too much volume to keep up with.

Made it up to Yellowknife and just got back yesterday. Interesiting ride, interesting town. Slogging it up from Fort Providence around the west end of the lake then past Rae and across the north end of the lake dodging Bison all the way, the last thing you expect to see exiting the dirt is a modern town of 20,000 people. I knew that was the case, but it is still unexpected when you arrive.

Hit Pilot Point for pics. Hit the Black Night for a civilized bar. Hit the Gold Range for an uncivilized bar. Don't go into the Gold Range with attitude though, you might exit the bar on your ear:) I met an older Scottsman who said that Yellowknife was the furthest south he had lived in 10 years. He was giving the locals a hard time at the Gold Range. One of the natives took exception and they headed outside to settle it. The Scottsman booked leaving me to clean up the mess. Thought I was in for an ass-wooping. Didn't turn out that way though. I had a great time. Interesting mix of folks living up that way.