Yellowknife!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Oct 22, 2009.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Annie and I are considering a ride to Yellowknife next summer. Alcan to Liard Highway to the Mackenzie Highway. Would appreciate any info you may have on road surfaces we will encounter, sights to see and general sage advice. We've got the trusty Milepost, but there is nothing like first hand experience.
  2. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    :ear
  3. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    The only road surfaces that you won't like are on the Liard Highway. I didn't drive it this year, but was on it a couple of times the year before. It completely washed out in '08 - it literally didn't exist for a while - but I never heard of any problems this year. As you head north the last +/- 50 kms into Ft. Liard were very rough, but once you hit the gravel it'll be fine. Gravel lasts for about 100kms, otherwise it's all paved. There's no station at 'Checkpoint' where the Liard and Mackenzie Hwys meet so if you can't make it to Fort Providence you can detour into Fort Simposn. You can get gas in Fort Providence. Providence to YK is 310 kms so that might be a concern. Temptation on that road is to do 120 kmh all the way but that sucks back the gas, of course. Take it easy, take extra gas, or take a small detour into Rae (now called Becho 'Ko) for gas. There's barely a corner between Providence and Yellowknife, but guaranteed you'll see bison. And they won't move for you if they're on the road.

I lived in YK for 8 years until June this year - ask away.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info Squonker, it will be helpful. Is there much to see at Nahanni Park or the Buffalo refuge? Thinking of planning some extra time there.
  5. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Nahanni looks beautiful, but there's no road access in summer. If, by the Buffalo Refuge, you mean the one that was in Fort Resolution, it shut down years ago.

There are one or two pics of the road between Checkpoint and the YK turnoff in my RR (link in sig line).
  6. ChaseZero

ChaseZero Unpaid Test Subject

Oddometer:
    When were you looking to head up there? Second week of June is when I'm heading to Yellowknife, who knows, perhaps we'll meet up.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    road is chip to the BC border. fuel at ft. liard and decent free camp site on small lake just off highway. road north can be very dusty all the way up to checkpoint. right of way not always cut back and bison, moose, bear can step right out in front of you. blackstone tp is pretty nice and right on the river with good camp sites. you might be able to buy some fuel if an emergency. ft. simpson is ok, as is the camp site there. fuel and general store. very rough graded ferry landings to cross the liard river. mostly chip from checkpoint to ft. simpson. new visitor center that is pretty interesting. a gal runs the place and her father is the air traffic controller at inuvik.

there used to be fuel at checkpoint, but it's private now. really good deh cho camp site on the trout river off the mackenzie. the mackenzie is generally in much better shape than the liard, and the right of way is maintained better.

cross the mackenzie, and fuel at ft providence. then on to yellowknife. there is a campsite on a lake right near the airport in yellowknife, but you might need reservations. there are two more provincial parks on lakes up the road running out of yellowknife, both good. this road is the start of the ice road running up to the diamond mines.

with no fuel at checkpoint, conceivably you would need the range to run ft. liard to ft. simpson, ft. simpson to ft. providence, ft. providence to yellowknife.

akbeemer, stayed at the dorm this time a year ago. i had that red rat ninja with TKCs. tommy cates also there on his RT. up to deadhorse and back. the following morning you gave me the secret back way directions over to the parks. we went down the parks and rode the denali on our way to valdez. had a great stay at your dorms. thanks.