Yes or No, Have you had a fuel pump problem on your 990.

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Gimme 2, May 7, 2009.

1. AvonTier

AvonTier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replaced the f/pump after 1800km, problem solved (for now).
  2. aurel

aurel Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer:
    I had a problem with the fp on my first 990, same as described previously in this thread. When the bike was hot the power was going from 0 to 100% every 5 secondes... until I let the bike cool down.

Got the bike stolen before I could fix it :dunno
  3. Yzlvr

Yzlvr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    08' 990 S.

My fuel pump just quit with 7K a couple of mos ago. Got it replaced under warranty. Filters were clean, but laying the bottom of the pump housing were small strings of plastic. Pump seemed locked up. Got a spare to keep on the bike just in case. No pump no run.
  4. Jody H

Jody H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '07 990 8k miles no poblems at all.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon TRIUMPH TIGER 800XC

Oddometer:
    How you do dat? :lurk
  6. jeremyk

jeremyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My fuel pump and filter were replaced at 1500 miles. Bike runs great now. There were two issues. The first was that there was a red, slimy, watery substance throughout the throttle bodies. Like somebody had put in some contaminated gas out of a rusty gas can. I suspect the original dealer, because my bike sat around for two years (new) before I bought it.

I also suspect that my fuel pump was weak from the beginning. A new fuel pump and filter, cleaning of the TBs and gas tanks...and she runs like a champ now. Night and day difference from where it was. I experienced stalling at idle and at speed, rough idle, jerky throttle while cruising. This fixed everything.

Fuel pressure is critical for injected bikes. All the computer mapping assumes fuel at a certain pressure. If the pressure is off, the maps won't be correct and everything falls apart. The 02 sensors will tell the computer that the bike is lean, so they will stay open longer on the next cycle, but the fuel won't be atomized properly if the pressure is too low. The bike always felt like it was fighting itself. I suspect that this is exactly what was happening.
  7. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 SuperDuke and just got back into the groove with an 07 Adv990 after selling (and regretting selling) my 950 a couple of years ago.

so far I haven't had any problems with either bikes fuel pumps. Hope to have many many miles of twists and grins without this issue but just for jollies... I think I'll add a spare pump to the Adv parts kit... :D
  8. Andreas240

Andreas240 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :pissed 5.000km blocked fuel filter after running the beast dry...
  9. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well since this popped back up to the top...

25,000 miles and still going strong, filters changed at 8 and 18 grand, and still on the original WP...

07 - 990
  10. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Allow me to post on behalf of a friend who owns an 07 990 but who is not a member of this forum. He has 53k Kms with no fuel pump issues.
  11. MotoSapiens

MotoSapiens LC8driver

Oddometer:
    990S, 2006, 51000km, no issues by now. Applied grease in the connector every now an then to avoid corrosion.
  12. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    12,000 klms 07 990. No problems.
  13. snarley

snarley Long timer

Oddometer:
    07 990s -no probs - best bike I have ever owned !:lol3
  14. KatoomDownUnder

KatoomDownUnder Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer:
    08 990 with 14500 km nil fuel probs
  15. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I was one of lucky ones who doesn't have FP problem. Here's part of email I just sent to my Dealer:

"The symptoms are: The bike when first started (when cold) runs and idles fine. In fact, when riding on the slab to and from work (about 20 miles each way) there no noticeable problems at all. However if I go off road and ride aggressive at slow speeds for over 30 minutes the problems start to appear big time. When rolling on hard the bike hesitates and sputters like it's running out of fuel. In fact you can't even roll on (under load) and get the engine speed (RPM) close to the red line. If you roll off then back on the bike will stall. This is dangerous and has happen to me at the worse possible times!! When these symptom appear it's only under load because without load the bike will rev and idle just fine. Finally once you get back on slab doing 45 MPH + for 15 minutes or more the bike eventually goes back to normal.

Since owning this bike I have noticed on many occasions a hesitation when rolling on. I also have experience many unexpected stalls. This has never happen consistently, so I thought it was just another "KTM quirk". However now it seems to be getting worse and more apparent. The only thing that makes sense is that the fuel pump is overheating. When it's in this "overheated" condition it's not able to maintain the needed 3.5 bar (52 PSI) that the injectors need for full load (full roll-on). This causes the engine to starve for fuel and give the symptoms noted above. If the fuel pump is cool or has cooled back down the problems goes away and the pump is able to maintain it's max pressure. Last year my Wife's car had the same type of symptoms, it would run fine for a few hours and then would start losing power like it was running out of gas. After many unnecessary parts where replaced, the resolution ended up being a new fuel pump."

I just started working with the Dealer in getting the pump replaced under warranty. I wish it was an obvious problem and not this intermittent crap!:eek1
  16. Tragic Overlander

Tragic Overlander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    08 990 ADV bought mid 2008. 21000 miles. Hard riding, predominantly on dirt. No problems at all with the bike. Big service being performed next week, and I will have the mechanics check the pump. We pulled it apart and changed filters at 13000 miles.
  17. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    39000km's on my 06 model, no problems.
  18. arquimoto

arquimoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    24.500 kms on my '08 990 and no problems yet.
  19. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    At 10k kms and had problems with the bike hesitating and running out of gas. Replaced the fuel and all went back to normal. Seems dirty fuel clog the filters easily.
    After searching for filter replacements everywhere, found a chinese company that can produce the cylindrical paper filter. When it is ready for production I will inform everybody in here, so we can replace it every now and then in a logical price. Cheers.
  20. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on!

Keep us posted...