Yes, We Know It's Summer - But This Is Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talked to a couple riding through this morning, headed for Anchorage. Temperature was 51°, drizzling rain. They were riding cruisers, she had just a handlebar-mounted windshield on hers. They were not dressed for the weather, and with Eureka to get past, it was going to get worse before it got better.

If you're headed up this way, be aware - when we say be prepared for anything, we mean anything! Many's the time I've seen it drop into the 30's in mid-summer, especially when there isn't a cloud in the sky. And rain up here is just as wet as it is back home, but for most folks from the South 48, it will be considerably cooler.

I feel sorry for riders who come up here ill-prepared for what we consider normal summer weather. It can be hot one day, cold and wet the next. Or you can leave Fairbanks in 80° heat and think you're going to freeze before you get to Anchorage or Valdez (depending on which road you take south. Being too hot or too cold because you weren't ready for the conditions you face can spoil a lot of the pleasure you might find if you are wearing the proper gear.
  2. RDJEff

RDJEff Lost in Alaska

Oddometer:
    It's easier to take layers off if it's too hot than it is to add layers that you didn't bring with you! There has to be a simpler way to say that...
  3. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    How's that go in aviation circles? Nothing quite as useless as altitude above you, runway behind you, fuel back at the hangar... etc.

For motorcyclists, it's "clothes you left at home". :D
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey!!! This is an exceptional summer. I wore my mesh jacket twice and used my Gerbing only a handful of times. God Bless global warming.
  5. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beemer:
    It Aint any warmer,
    You've just gotten NUMB-ER
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is with an "N" is it not?
  7. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Alcan Rider.

You told me the guy was riding a Harley didn't you? I hope he's at least wearing a "bandanna" or a scarf. Wearing a "bandanna" on a HD makes you invincable doesn't it?:topes
  8. AK_Troyer

AK_Troyer Not AKTroy

Oddometer:
    Summers like this is what keeps everybody from moving here.
  9. Juvat

Juvat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen! And pass the ammo!!!:clap