1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Yesterday I bought a F658...today I learned to ride a motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by NoMoIke, Apr 14, 2012.

1. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did try this, it didn't seem to make much difference, although I may have put too much slack back into it.
  2. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How in the hell did you look at it all winter and not move to Florida or South Texas?

The one thing I keep thinking after every ride is, "Why did I not learn to do this 25 years ago?"
  3. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pfuse, AWESOME, glad to have you with us!

If your stalling, it's clutch control you need to work on, not throttle. The whole K7X platform has a super light flywheel so stalls easily until you get used to it.

Until you get used to it, and pretty much always when on slippery surfaces, rev it up and gingerly modulate the thrust with the clutch. It's an 8 disk oil cooled clutch, it can take some abuse.

HOWEVER, keep your eye on clutch free play. If there is no free play at the lever the clutch will burn up in just 2 highway miles and the freplay gradually changes as you ride.

MtnBound, why would you put a bike away for the winter? Winter is why god made heated gear, and the slippery stuff on the road is no bother at all.

I have been riding year round in places that snow and ice for 20 years now.

This is how it usually goes :rofl

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/38LIPnwpoGs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/38LIPnwpoGs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  4. grndzr0

grndzr0 its Ground Zero

Oddometer:
    What!!!! I live in Montana, and my F8 maybe sat at the most 5 days without being ridden this winter!!!

(granted, it was a fairly mild winter.... Not too many below zero days....)

Ryan
  5. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    In episode three I kept on waiting to see you chain up the GS and fly past the Taco through 3 feet of snow :wink:

I started in Winterpeg (Winnipeg), then moved to northern Nevada, then central NV, now in AZ. Can ride everyday if time allowed... That said, it is all about having the right gear, tires (studs) and time.

Back from hijacking the thread. Always be prepared for the unexpected, take training courses, ride with others, and enjoy! :clap
  6. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

I love the idea of cold weather riding, but that video was pretty hard core! I'd love to do that on a Ural, tho.
  7. MtnBound

MtnBound Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That video was a little extreme. WOW
    I have other toys for the winter but some day it would be fun to ride year around.
  8. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode down today and HTCA installed the throttle tamer on for me. What a difference! It makes the bike much more rideable and HTCA really took care of me. Thanks!
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you have a healthy respect for the learning process, as well as a lot of driving experience. Good call skipping the "starter bike" step. With your history of driving, I think you might appreciate a book I recently read called "Proficient Motorcycling". Written by a very experienced rider, it gives in depth analysis of different situations, statistical risk factors, and some really good tips to keep the numbers in your favor. It is kind of like cliff notes for learning to ride.

[​IMG]

I have to agree about overly touchy throttle response. My bike has 3 throttle maps, and I never use the fast one.
  10. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, I just added it to my nook wish list.

Do you have a(n?) Aprilia? I looked at those and really liked them, but they were just too tall. It surprised me that the 750 had 90+ hp.
  11. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and it is fairly tall. I have a 32" inseam, and I can just get the balls of both feet on the ground. It is about 410 lbs, so 90 hp doesn't make it the fastest bike I've owned. That's OK, though, because I felt destined for an early grave on the Ninja 636. The Dorsoduro feels like a miniature BMW GS1100, corners better than a Ninja (for me, anyway), and can handle mild off road. I bought it to replace a Honda XL600R, which was perfect in all except its lack of 2-up capable horsepower (we outweighed the bike).

I also considered the Triumph Tiger XC, but that was simply too tall for me.
  12. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. runnr548

runnr548 BMW Pilot

Oddometer:
    Awesome and versatile bike! It's about time to get out & put a lot of "learning" miles on. :clap
  15. NoMoIke

NoMoIke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Considering that I'm a Fatty McFatty I think the front springs need to go.