Yet, another aftermarket exhaust thread, F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Paulie M, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Paulie M

Paulie M Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm starting another thread here looking for input form everyone on aftermarket exhaust for my F8GS.

So right off, I'm a cheap bastard or thrifty if you want to put it politicly correct for all the millennials. I know that there are some really nice slip on cans to replace the OEM 13lbs can. However, they are out of my price range, or more than I would want to spend to begin with.

Anyway, what are some budget friendly aftermarket exhaust slip-ons that are out there that you can provide some real feedback on. Pictures help too.

I have been looking at Arrows and Delkevic. What else are out there and what are they like?
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I went with the Delkevic 18" carbon fiber oval muffler. It is advertised as the quietest, deepest tone of mufflers they offer.
    I'm happy with it overall, but unlike the BMW, the rear hanger of the Delkevic has no vibration isolation.
  3. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own the 8” round, 14” round and 18” oval mufflers from Delkevic.
    I own the 2017 Akrapovic.

By sound, the Akrapovic wins easy against all three of them.

Problem with the 8” is it sound a little too much like this:
    (Ok forum or Tapatalk insist not to accept the ?t=195 so just look at 3:15 what’s the deal.)
    And you won’t want to ride it without baffle.
    I do like the look a lot though and it is the lightest.

The 14” you can ride with and without baffle, if you can deal with the closing of throttle crackle is a little more of shot than a crackle with the baffle out. Looks also very good.

The 18” you can ride without baffle without feeling bad, the bike likes the free flow if you like to rev the engine as much as the engine likes to get revved.

All three are affordable, look decent, the no rubber mount and solid connection to header doesn’t cause any problems I could find, all three you’ll feel vibrations less than with stock exhaust.

The (debaffled) 2017 Akrapovic is my favorite BUT it’s only about 1 lbs less than stock, but man is the sound low. Bike seems to pull stronger at lower revs but seems to be held back at higher revs, compared to the Delkevic without baffle, still flows better than stock.

Even debaffled the 2017 Akrapovic is always “indirect flow” compared to the simpler Delkevic which is just your average perforated pipe with a larger cavity around it, with the baffle modifying that flow, but there’s always some direct flow.

These exhausts are combined with the intake mod, oiled filter, Arrow header and AF-XIED.

I upgraded from the 18” to the Akrapovic and the 8” and 14” were experiments to see if I would find one I’m happy with that doesn’t cost as much and is much lighter, but so far, it’s still the Akrapovic that wins. I even have solid baffles to modify the sound more on the 8” and 14” (they consider them their quiet baffles) and nope, don’t like the resulting pull then.

Overall, get the biggest, lightest you can find, big makes for lower, nicer sound.

If I had more money to burn in this I’d compare the Arrow and Remus slipons too.

No matter which exhaust is on the bike, any of them reduces vibrations that make the stock one rather annoying to deal with.

Oh and about volume, every time I worry they are too loud and people hate me, some Harley manages to pull up next to me on a light, makes me smile when I realize I’m far from that.
  4. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got this one off eBay, yes it has a logo they don't own. Mine ended up with it in the wrong side of the can, facing wheel, so you can't see it. Nobody would confuse it with real thing anyways.

It looks good, sounds better than stock, has an insert and the insert has a baffle that can be removed. I tried it wide open and it sounded like an MX bike. I like it but was way too obnoxious for street use and responsible off road use. With the insert and baffle it's very tame sounding. With insert and no baffle is a good compromise and IIRC that's what I'm using now. (I'll check and update the post later).

The springs are a little cheap and I'm slowly replacing them with better ones. There's also a reducing insert thing on the mid pipe that slips out with some channel locks, wd40 and a twist. Lots of rough edges inside insert and mid pipe, I spent 10 mins with a semi round file and de burred it for the peace of mind and the psychological HP increase :D

For the money I'm happy with the sound and the weight savings. If I drop it off road I won't care if it gets jacked up and I would buy another one.

Https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...-BMW-F650GS-F700GS-F800GS-F800R-/362490475948

Edit - check their store, the one pictured isnt the exact one I have. Mine has black body and fake carbon fiber tip. They used to have about 5 options of combos of aluminum, fake carbon fiber and black. Maybe the Kung Flu has inventory messed up at the moment.
  5. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Danmoto JISU w/ the baffle. $150. Little bit louder, but not obnoxious, throatier, lighter, and best of all cheap.

IMG_E7594.JPG
    ROMAD likes this.
  6. DvsRyn

DvsRyn n00b

Oddometer:
    I have this without the baffle. Sounds great but is loud as hell. Planning on buying a baffle in the near future.

I also have the Chinese slip-on/Akro knock off with mid pipe mentioned earlier that I’d be willing to let go cheap if you’re interested.
  7. Merlin32

Merlin32 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't Jerk yourself off, full Remus or nothing. otherwise just get their headers and keep the stock can. 51d6a187-9bfb-4185-b35b-ee69e4e1e2e3.JPG
  8. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    Yup, champagne taste with beer money. I would love a full Remus system. However I just cant justify it.

Looking at this.
  9. Merlin32

Oddometer:
    What about arrow headers and stock exhaust. Comb the flea market until someone sells. Biggest thing is dropping the cat...
  10. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    I haven't ruled Arrows out yet. There was someone on the flea market that had a can for sale.
  11. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about buying the longer Delkevic. My fear is that it's going to be too loud.
  12. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    Besides weight and less back pressure, what other benefits are there to going to a cat-less system and running a stock can?
  13. Merlin32

Oddometer:
    I just notice because of the way the 800 likes to rev freeing up back pressure gives you a bit more top end. It like to rev a bit more freely it seems without the cat... then you can open up the intake and afxied it to add more fuel and you got yourself some extra horsies .
  14. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It won’t be loud with the default baffle in or out and will help kill some of the annoying vibes of the stock can on the stock header and is nice flowing on the arrow header. It sounds better than a 2017 stock can, even if my least favorite. At ~$200 for the stainless, it’s a good bang for the buck.

Edit: if being heard in traffic matters it’s likely not the one to get to be honest, it’s close to stock in loudness just not tone.
  15. BigBrian

BigBrian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a really good choice for me then.

Edit: are you talking about the 14" or 18"?
  16. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking of the 13”
  17. rwcfrank01

rwcfrank01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered this and it should be here soon. I’ll let you know how it goes

IMG_1593.png
  18. rwcfrank01

rwcfrank01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This the email they sent me when I asked about mufflers for the F8

New message from: delkevic_au (2,283Red Star)
    Hi,
    The most popular system for this model would be the 350mm oval carbon system,light weight, doesn't require polishing, doesn't hold much heat and has a nice tone. The 320mm system is also a popular system just a little louder and takes more work to keep clean as its a mirror Finnish stainless body.. The 450mm is the quietest system we do, with the baffle out they are not overly loud a little more than stock. So I would recommend the 320mm tri oval or 350mm oval system. All in stock ready to go.
  19. Paulie M

Oddometer:
    Have you had a chance to give it a go yet?
  20. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I have the Delkevic 18" carbon fiber oval on my twin and like it very much.
    The only problem being that while The OEM unit has a huge rubber isolation mount,
    there is no vibration isolation between the rear strap clamp and the mounting bolt on the Delkevic.
    I can feel some vibration transmitted thru and have been trying to come with an easy way to fix ... so far ....my mind is a blank...