Yet another bike recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by tjt94, Jun 20, 2021.

1. tjt94

tjt94 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to do this, but my OCD crap is blazing and I am looking for opinions to take or ignore, depending. I am a 6'4", 61 year old rider with considerable riding experience. I have ridden in all states in the US except Alaska, throughout Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Belize, and across Canada. I now ride an average of 6000 miles per year, mostly weekend enjoyment riding in my local area. I live in one of the hottest places in the US, usually within a degree or two of Death Valley and usually a few degrees hotter than Vegas. I have a 30 minute ride to get into the eastern San Diego County mountains and the fantastic roads they contain.

I currently ride a 2018 Triumph T120 that fits me pretty well but like I said, I am always looking for the next great deal. I have had cruisers but they mess with my hips and I end up with flexor pain after a couple hundred miles. I have had a R1150GS that was a great bike but not much joy for short runs or rides to work (a strength of the Triumph). My shins are long (24") thus putting my knees high on most tanks and again, giving me hip issues. The Triumph is good for 400 mile days and I have done 600 on it without much discomfort.

T120.jpg

I went and looked at a R1250R yesterday and found it to be cramped and not as comfortable as my T120. I looked at a nice GS as well but the price is out of line with what I am willing to do. I sat on a nice '20 Tracer GT and found it to fit really well. However, I am not sure I would like it as much as my T120 for much of the riding I do. It's a very polished bike but doesn't seem to have much character. Also, it seems that my T120 is only worth around $5500 in trade despite having the bags, silencers, and suspension upgrades I have added.

So, here are the parameters I am looking to click off:

Something under $18K
    Something that will fit my tall frame without tight hip and knee angles
    Something with a little character
    Something that doesn't suck around town or out on the highway
    Something that isn't a huge heat producer, there's enough heat here daily without having more on me. The T120 and my GS are/were good. My Victory and Stratoliner not so much.

So what should I consider? Or is my current Triumph the bike I am looking for already?

Again, sorry to pass this stupidity on. I venture many of us do the same thing.

Thanks!
  2. Huladog

Huladog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may want to play around with different bikes to see how they fit you at https://cycle-ergo.com/.

Good to virtually try out most bikes you’re thinking about. Granted they don’t have every new bike but you can try out similar models as an experiment.

I’ve used it a lot since I have the opposite problem with short legs.

I just sold my 2017 T-120 so the trade-in quote you got is accurate since accessories don’t count. I ended up selling online instead since I had time.

Just throwing a suggestion at you since this is what I’m waiting for as my replacement bike - 2021 Honda NC750X DCT.

Honda tweaked it this year so it caught my eye as I liked the 270 degree twin in the T-120 and an earlier FZ-07.
  3. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It might be a good suggestion. I have used Cycle-ergo extensively. It does help.
  4. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    (Biased owner here but) used R1200GSLC. Tall guys tend to fit best on ADV bikes. BMW roadsters are under appreciated (I've owned two), and the 1250 takes the performance to a completely new level, but, as you found, they are cramped for long legs. The same big performance difference exists between the 1150GS that you found "not much joy" and the newer water cooled ones ('14+). For $18K, you could probably get as recent as a 2018 R1200GS, maybe even the first year of the 1250 (2019). If you don't need/want shaft drive, your ADV options are much greater, especially having $18K to spend.

Although the NC750X is also under appreciated imo, I've never heard it described as full of character. Also, the legroom was never stellar, and for 2021 I believe they actually lowered the seat.

I'm surprised the Triumph fits you well, also not sure what you don't like about it. Grass is always greener elsewhere? (Many of us are guilty of this). Good luck.
  5. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    Go to your local Triumph dealer and trade in the T-120 for a nice baby blue Scrambler 1200 XE. Nice tall seat.
    [​IMG]

Or go with Honda and get a nice baby blue Monkey.
    [​IMG]
    ukiboy, LuciferMutt and Richarde1605 like this.
  6. tjt94

Oddometer:
    I have added height to the seat with an Airhawk and a sheepskin. That made a decent rider triangle. And it is definitely a greener grass situation. I remember Triumph riders from when I was young and it is not a good memory so maybe the association is messing in my head too?
  7. tjt94

Oddometer:

The Scrambler XE has the exact same rider triangle as the T120. I only gain overall height but not to the pegs. My dealer has recommended away from the Scrambler for road use as the rider is completely a sail. They are steering me towards a Tiger but I don't know that I'm feeling that.
  8. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frankly, I don't know why you'd be looking to replace that T120. I rode a pristine 2016 T120 with very low mileage and almost bought it instead of my Kawasaki W 800. I still bought the W because it has its own unique appeal and I'm quite enamored with it. (I'm 5'7". You'd be cramped on it.) Also, although my dealer was selling the Triumph for a mutual friend, my dealer is not a Triumph dealership.

It sounds like you've just got a case of 'new bike fever.' I just think this year (and probably next couple of years) is a good time to resist that malady, unless there's something out there that's really pulling your heart strings and occupying your sleep. For me, there's currently just not.

Well, in a spirit of full-disclosure, I'd probably be spending my Saturday mornings drooling over a Guzzi if my dealer carried them. Have never owned one, but have long admired them.

I almost suggested a Triumph Scrambler, like Motonirvana. If Kawasaki were to announce a W Scrambler, I'd probably be clearing space in the garage for it. But then I'd also need a W Cafe, just to complete the matched set. ;-)

But really; just enjoy that marvelous Bonneville and hold your money until the manufacturers have time to recoup and do something really compelling.

JET
    Motonirvana likes this.
  9. tjt94

Oddometer:

Thanks! All true. I am actually thinking of waiting to see the Husqvarna Norden. That has high potential of being compelling.
  10. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Lightly used Road King with the M8 engine? They are the best HDs for tall riders, have the best ground clearance and nearly the best cornering clearance. Stay away from the "specials;" they always fuck up the suspension.

The hip flexor pain is going to happen any time your knees are higher than your hips while seated on the bike. There are SO MANY seat and control options for a Road King, this just won't be an issue. There's even a whole thread on just Road King seats here in road warriors.
    staticPort likes this.
  11. tjt94

Oddometer:
    It is an issue. The "pop a squat" positioning is terrible. There may be plenty of options but they truly are for those 6" and under. I had an '82 SHovelhead FXR that is seriously built up. It was a great bike but I was in my 20's and it loved to eat exhaust gaskets.

I went and looked at Sport Glides and found them very cramped. The Pan American was decent but not much to look at and still over what I am willing to pay. Maybe an older Wideglide?
  12. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Have you ever sat on a late model Road King? I don't even consider them cruisers. They are just big heavy standards. You can't compare anything else in HD's lineup to a late model Road King except maybe the Electra Glide Standard, but that's got a big bar-mounted fairing on it. The Sport Glide is built on the smaller Softail frame, and an older Wideglide is a Dyna frame. Not comparable to each other or a Road King.
    staticPort and Billy52 like this.
  13. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer sells Husky and KTM (among others). It will no doubt be a popular bike if it's ever released, and don't want to rain on your quest. But I've pretty much lost interest in the Norden, after owning a 790 Adventure.

Honda is still rumored to bring a new Transalp. But based on the Africa Twin, I don't really have high expectations for that, either.

Actually, if I were buying another Adventure Bike today, it would probably be another V-Strom 1000. I've had two, and really like that engine. But I'm kinda done with bulky bikes.

JET
    augie05 and tjt94 like this.
  14. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    :-)

JET
  15. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can buy slightly used late model GS for that price point all day long (well...in a normal year). However, the Tiger 850 might have an even better riding position with the seat in the high position. It wont have the power or the amenities. It also wont have the suspension or ground (cornering) clearance of the GS, but then again, it should easily match the T120 in sportieness. Open hip angle pretty much means ADV bike is the best bet. Maybe a Vstrom 1050. My 2005 Vstrom was super comfortable with good distance to the pegs.

I do recall the KTM SuperDuke having a fairly open riding position for a naked though. I havent sat on any of the newer Japanese large displacement nakeds...they've brutalized most of them with the ugly stick. The only one that appeals to me is the Kawasaki Z900RS...might be worth a shot.
  16. tjt94

Oddometer:
    The SuperDuke is actually more closed than my T120, I tried one. My Triumph dealer is trying to get me to try a new Tiger 850. I like the 900 a little more but they say I will be surprised with the 850 Sport.

At this point, I may be coming to my senses and continue riding my T120. It seems like the best idea but not the route I often go.
    davidji likes this.
  17. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Ducati multistrada 950, lightly used 1200 or 1260
  18. tjt94

Oddometer:
    Very cramped. Nice bikes though.
  19. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    The current style of cruiser position is torture for me, I'm 6'2 with a 34'' inseam. My suggestion is get the Harley you like and put a sprung solo saddle on it. My Slim was unrideable with the stock saddle where as the reproduction solo saddle put me in a more normal riding position that was found on these bikes from the teens right through the early sixties. This bike is all day comfortable for me, a quick on / quick off Harley windshield is a bonus.

IMG_1287.JPG
    LuciferMutt and tjt94 like this.
  20. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    I think the M8 Slim is the best looking Harley the company has ever built. Nice bike!
    mtwillyman and Carl Childers like this.