Yet Another Budget Ninja Mutant Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by draco_1967, Feb 5, 2019.

1. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I would have to go the custom bolt route. All the shoulder bolts from McMaster, Bolt Depot, etc. had the same 16mm lenth on the threaded part. There is enough thread to put a nylock nut on there.

Yeah, luckily it was a straight section of road!
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    If you want a custom SS bolt let me know but I was also thinking if you paint the hardened steel bolt is going to be a stronger alloy.
    Also anything that is all threaded can be sleeved with a brass or nylon tube. What I don't know if you could use a stainless steel bushing
    for example to contain all that along with a dab of grease. The main thing is do not trust vibration. Do something to lock it in place. Drill
    the nut and bolt if you have to and run a stainless wire or pin.
    And again if you need a custom piece let me know.
    Also if an ACE store is close by that is like a candy store for finding any bolts and nuts or bushings you want.
  3. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I have spent more money on the Ace nut and bolt aisle than I want to admit :lol3
    I'll see how it does with a nylock and red locktite, then try safety wiring. I think most if the issue is rotational forces on the bolt.
  4. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    OK, I used threadlock and a star lock washer (or whatever they are called), and torqued that bolt down well. This morning on the way in to work, it didn't come loose. Now to put a few more miles on the mutant before taking things apart again for paint! :clap

ETA: Obligatory photo:
    0426190645.jpg
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Looking great. Have you been able to put her on a scale? How is the trun radius?
    Thanks
  6. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I haven't had it on a scale yet. I need to pick up a cheap analog bathroom scale. Our current scale would be a pain to try to use.
    The turn radius seems good. I'm still getting used to the lumpy feeling of the 804/805s when leaned way over. But I can make the tight 180* turn from my parking spot at work no problem.

Saturday evening I did a short 84 mile ride with a couple of buddies. I have been nagging them to find a couple more cheap Ninjas to join the fun. They might be sold on it now that they have ridden it :deal

In short, I love everything about this bike! And any gripes I have can be fixed. The biggest is the seat. Although the seat no longer forces me into the tank, it is not supportive enough for long days in the saddle. I need to add a few creature comforts as well, such as USB charger, GPS mount, and heated grips.
    11motos likes this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    All I can say.. the bike looks awesome and fun too.
    How was your experienced buyinh a salvage or axcident bike.
    I see many seemed tolled because the cost of parts and labor but not too damaged for the resourcefull and technically oriented. Lets say perfect scope for the enthusiast handy guy or machinist.
    But I hear two sides of the story.
    I have no experience with copart or anything other than decently preowned but I am willing to try.
    Does it compensate? What is the best way to find bikes that give the best value like that?
    I mean, considering one is going to scrap forks, shocks, bars, fairings, etc... anyway right?
    Sorry. Too many questions perhaps.
  8. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Great questions!

I thought a lot about going through an auction site to find a cheap bike. By the time you factor shipping and fees on top of the purchase price, you can easily reach $1200-1500 for a salvage titled bike. I scoured our local listings (Craigslist is dead here because we have ksl.com) for months trying to find something. Eventually this clean 2007 came up toward the end of the season, so I thought I could talk him down a little at least, and have a clean bike with a clear title. Well, the kid took the bike for a ride just a few hours before I went to pick it up, and he low-sided, rashing and cracking the right side fairing pretty badly. This gave me plenty of room to negotiate the price down to salvaged bike prices.

I have been watching the classifieds again, trying to find something cheap for my buddy to build up too. They are out there. The 650R is one of Kawi's best selling bikes, and they are relatively cheap. A lot of new riders get them and wreck them. I have probably seen 12 or more naked "streetfighter" 650Rs in the last 6 months that have clearly been wrecked at least once.

As far as ease of the job, If you have basic mechanical and electrical skills, picking up a project like this is not too difficult. I did need 2 items turned on a lathe (front axle and spacer), and then a little welding on the peg brackets. If I could weld, I would have done a little more at this time to add the Versys subframe braces and luggage mounts. It will happen eventually, but for now, the bike will be basic.

The hardest parts for me were the peg mounts and the gauge/windscreen mount. A lot of measuring, CAD (cardboard aided drafting), and drilling/cutting/fitting of steel. But it was fun. My technique improved a lot, and I enjoy problem solving.

My buddy and I originally talked about selling the dirt ninja to turn a little profit. Right now, we probably have about $2500 in it, and based on current prices for pre-crashed naked streetfighters in the area, I think we could easily get that, and a few hundred on top (crazy, right?) just because the season is just opening up here. But it turns out we love the bike too much!

I will say that JD is right when he has mentioned to go with the bigger forks. The KLR forks are not great. I bet with some Cogent emulators and springs they would be better. When my buddy finally buys another Ninja, we are going to swap the front end from this bike over to his. I have the Versys triple, DRZ400 forks, and DL1000 wheel all ready to go to slap on to this bike when that happens.

I hope my ramblings are helpful :norton
    11motos likes this.
  9. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    In other news, I rode the mutant to work again today. My bracing on the gauge mount worked a treat. No bouncing now.
    I did have a little binding on the shifter that I noticed on Saturday. When I had the shift pivot above the peg, I straightened out the shift lever to get the length I needed. When I moved the pivot forward and down, it caused a little interference with the shift linkage on upshifts. I put the bend back in the shift lever, and now all is well again. Shifts up through the gears with ease.

The weather was warming up, then it snowed Tuesday night. Hopefully it's done with that now, and I can prep and paint everything and call the bike "done." It will never really be done though...:deal
    11motos likes this.
  10. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Yes many thanks for the explanation. To be clear, I do not have any adversion about a salvage given I am not paying more for less and I can understand what the true damage is since forks and other things will have to go. That means I glhave to inspect the bike myself or someone I really trust.
    Patience is the key but locally the prices rarely go below 2.7-3k for a decent one. 2k would be ideal with broken fairings, bent handlebars and such. Patience.

Regarding the shifter if you want to implement a custom bushing or need anything turned just give me a shout. As soon as I have the dimensions and or part ot will be a pleasure.

The Cogent valves and perhaps springs seems like a ligical upgrade given the old design of old rod forks. It you do it right they can work almost as well as modern cartrige forks.

I like your Amish friendly CAD system. I use it too. It works even when the power is out!!! Lol
  11. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Following inspiration from your project and others I was looking for a potential donor and stumbled across a nice puppy that needed rescue from the pound.
    fairing was broken on one side so I took it off for transport. But that is going away anyway.
    This pup was sitting in the tools shed for 2 years. So I had to find her a new home. She is going to be an ADV diva. lol
    Like I do not have enough work and projects right?... but what the heck! it should be fun.

upload_2019-5-7_21-10-55.png
    draco_1967 and flinders_72 like this.
  12. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    Nice! I look forward to seeing what you do with it :beer
  13. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Do you know who sells parts here? I want to cnfirm I can use thrle dr650 forks and buy from a member. I can machine the stem should that be needed.
  14. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    How much does it weigh? Well, according to my bathroom scale (don't tell Mrs.Draco) it is 386lbs with a half-full tank. I still plan to add crash bars, skid plate, and a tail rack, so it will be a little over 400lbs fully fueled.
    11motos likes this.
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    That is amazing! Well done. I see a 650 in the future, but first I need to get the 500 done.
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I haven't done much work on Dirt Ninja in the last few weeks. I took a 9 day trip out to the Smokey Mountains, and then I was given a lengthy honey-do list of projects in the yard. On Saturday, I got to tinker a little bit. I added a dual-USB plug with a built-in volt meter to the dash. I also blacked out the windscreen with a bit of Plastidip on the back side so I didn't have to look at all the wires stuffed back there :lol3
    20190615_200405.jpg
    Then I started fabricating brackets to hold the Givi tail for a Versys on the Ninja. I finished the right side bracket, so now I get to duplicate it for the left. Down the road, I will redo the tail to integrate the Versys subframe/passenger peg mounts, but for now, this will do.
    20190615_200344.jpg
    I ran out of cutting disks for the grinder, so I moved on to adding the skid plate and crash bars that I picked up used. In all, it probably adds another 20lbs to the bike, but most of it is in front. The bike feels quite light up front, so perhaps the extra weight will be a good thing...
    11motos and 16VGTIDave like this.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Whatta beast! This machine is looking great!
    Maybe that extra weight serves as encouragement to keep that front wheel on the ground! :D
  18. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm hoping. The bike feels a little twitchy at high speed because of the lightness.

Tonight I mounted the crazh bars. What a PITA! You need at least 6 tiny hands for a couple of the mount points when you include the skid plate mounts.
    20190617_215958.jpg
    20190617_220004.jpg
    I was left with a little pile of unneeded fairing mounts.
    20190617_220009.jpg
    Tomorrow, I'll be able to finish bolting up the skid plate and cut the left side luggage mount.
    JagLite and 16VGTIDave like this.
  19. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    More landscaping work took up my spare time over the last week+, but I finally had some time last night to button up the skid plate and crash bars. Everything is torqued and threadlocked (except the screws that mount the skid to the brackets - I need to change the oil tomorrow, but I want to shake things down before that.
    20190624_220846.jpg
    20190624_220850.jpg

I picked up a nice tank bag on the cheap, and mounted up my Big Squeeze on the bars.
    20190624_220906.jpg

I'm putting the bike to the test this weekend on a little overnight trip on some jeep trails south of me.
    20190624_221036.jpg
    Almost ready!
  20. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I changed the oil last night. The skid plate was difficult to mount the first time, so when I took it off, I gave it a close look. I'm thinking the bike it was on took a big hit. The left-rear mounting point had been bent out, and the bottom was not level. Not immediately apparent, but upon inspection, it was very clear. I carefully applied the BFH to the bent sections, and now it fits much better (i.e, I don't need to use a jack to force it into place :D)

I rode the beast to work today, and nothing fell off, so I call that a win! :lol3:happay

I am getting a buzz somewhere up in my guage/windscreen area, so I will have to investigate that. I don't really hear it with earplugs in, but without them (I rode around the neighborhood to warm up the oil before changing it) It is very clear between 3-5k rpm. I'm guessing there is something that just barely contacts the windscreen.

ETA:
    I will be swapping out the oil pan sooner than I anticipated. The drain bolt threads were a little galled, and I'm sure it will not survive another oil change. I already have a pan from a 2012+ EX650, so all I need is a new drain bolt/washer and a gasket, and I'm good to go.
    11motos and 16VGTIDave like this.