Yet another dual-sportster

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by aiden, Apr 29, 2020.

1. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured I'd share my dual sport sportster project while I'm stuck in quarantine.

It started life as a '99 883 Custom with lots of chrome and skulls.

Here's how it sits now:

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard likes this.
  2. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you have for ground clearance? What size front wheel?

bike looks good.
  3. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2915.JPG

This is how it started life. It had been sitting on the side of the road under a blue tarp gathering rust when I got it.

First things were some longer shocks, an 18" rear wheel, and new fenders. I also cut up an old ironhead seat and put a new exhaust on.

Then the big project was putting on a KTM frontend with WP 50mm forks. The ugly tank lift was to provide clearance for the forks.

IMG_3218.JPG

Someone took some beauty shots at a local motorcycle show:

curbside_043.jpg
    curbside_052.jpg

But the tank had to go in favor of an old superglide tank for more fuel capacity. It also allowed for a larger steering lock, which it really needed.

IMG_3392.JPG

Add an oversized Supermoto rotor + a thicker seat and we get here:

IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3733.jpg
    IMG_3732.JPG

Ideally, I'd like some longer shocks for more ground clearance and maybe lowered footpegs.
  4. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's the stock 21" wheel from the KTM frontend.

I haven't actually measured—ground clearance is ok, but not great. I thinks some 16" or 16.5" shocks would help. The forks can also still drop about a half inch lower in the triples if needed.
  5. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad ass!
    aiden likes this.
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good! How much fab work to mount the superglide tank? I was always partial to those.
    CopyCat likes this.
  7. h0lger

h0lger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you get a lot of angry looks from "real Harley riders" on this thing?
  8. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, please elaborate on the Superglide tank. I have severe restrictions with my Magnums. And tell me about the fairing please
  9. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The superglide tank's pretty straightforward to mount. I don't think there are any aftermarket versions—I got a crusty one off of ebay.

I trimmed the front tabs and drilled them so they lined up with the stock mount on my frame. Then I added some rubber U-shaped tank bumpers from an old dirtbike to keep it from rubbing on wiring etc. The rear mount uses the small hooks on the superglide tank and a rubber strap to hold the tank down.

You probably need a 90 degree petcock too since the tank will sit a bit lower than stock. I can take some pictures next time I have the tank off.

The headlight/cowl is just a universal Acerbis piece. Mounts up super easily with some rubber straps around the fork legs and some simple wiring. I swapped the bulb for an LED one and drilled holes to mount the turn signals.
    spokester and CopyCat like this.
  10. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most Harley guys I've run into like it. But I rarely see the half helmet and fringe crowd, so who knows.
    scot_douglas likes this.
  11. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Do you think it might fit my 2000? Im not much of a Harley guy yet, what years were these on Superglides? And may I ask the stated capacity?
  12. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like this a lot. I am looking to build one myself. The white seat cover is a bold choice, I applaud that! :clap

I really like the looks of this build. Any idea how much you have into it overall?
  13. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 99, so we should have the same frame. There have been a few "Superglide" models over the years, but I believe you want a 70s tank. If you do a search on ebay for "superglide tank" and filter by used, you'll see them—it'll be obvious.

I believe fuel capacity is a little over 3 gallons.
  14. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks! Looking at the cumulative cost of a build is scary, but I have just under 4k in it.
    r60man likes this.
  15. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    That isn't bad at all. You looking at adding panniers?
  16. humancertainty

humancertainty Annihilate all week long Supporter

Oddometer:
    @aiden what era forks/trees did you use? I’m rebuilding and updating an 88 FXRP right now but I’d like to do something like this in the not-too-distant future.
    I actually have a 1990 Sportster project I was thinking about doing up like this but I kinda want to have a five speed.
  17. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have some Nelson Rigg soft bags that go over those racks. They seem to work well.
  18. aiden

aiden Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the frontend from a 99 KTM EXC, which has the 50mm WP Extremes and brembo brakes. The wheel is actually off of a SX from the same era, so I didn't mess around with the speedo parts that the EXCs have. Helps to give it a cleaner look.

I believe a bunch of KTMs from 98 and 99 used that same setup, but it's hard to find new parts for them. Lots of ebay hunting.

You'll have to get stiffer springs and probably heaver oil too.
    madrider5150 and humancertainty like this.
  19. Glenflo

Glenflo n00b

Oddometer:
    It's a great build, mate.
    If you don't mind, you can check my video on YouTube. Harley Sportster Dual sport by Jim Carducci
  20. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Have you shortened the length/travel on the forks? Do you recall what weight springs you are using? Mine are .58 I believe which are custom but my suspension guy doesnt think thats heavy enough. Covid has threw a wrench into getting my suspension sorted.