Yet another FNG

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by JuanG, Mar 24, 2003.

1. JuanG

JuanG GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I just signed up as a member - hope this post works.

Great site – Wish I had found it sooner. I’ve ridden bikes most of my life. Put 40k-miles on my VFR but often found it overloaded and scraping the fairing on 4WD roads so after a little research I took the plunge and bought an ’01 GS. Put 30k on it the first year. Just an incredible bike! I’ve done a few mods –PIAA lights and hacked the windshield to get rid of that stupid buffeting – One reason I bought the GS was to have a bike that’s less protective – I find the exposure makes the riding experience a little richer (personal opinion). Ohlin’s are on their way – stock shock finally lost all it’s rebound damping. I found the information on this site helpful in making my shock decision.

I am a machinist by trade; have quite a bit of experience in industrial design and a strong background in mechanical engineering, so naturally I’ve made a few things for my bike. The local dealership (Foothills BMW, Lakewood, CO) was pretty impressed with my stuff and convinced me to start a little business so that other people could enjoy it too. I’ve sold some of my stuff in their showroom and have just recently got a website posted. The whole thing is still in its infancy, so I thought I’d solicit some input from the listers on this site. Constructive criticism would be appreciated, but I’ll take any criticism you give. After all, I have no interest in providing products that people don’t want. I put a lot of effort into making everything very functional as well as aesthetically pleasing, and of course, the quality of construction and finish is top-notch. I’m a one-man operation and intend to keep it that way for quality control purposes.

Here’s a link to my site: http://www.gmtmoto.com

I’ll post it over in the vendor section too, with some more detailed info and some possible new products.

I’ll try and attach a picture of my bike on a solo trip I did up to PEI last Summer. In case you’re wondering, the air horns were awesome…..until they got crammed full of bugs and dirt. I now run dual electrics in the stock location – down from 118db to 115db, but still much more effective than the stock POS horn.

JuanG
  2. porterfish

porterfish Debaser

Oddometer:
    welcome juan, wish i woulda met ya before i moved, i was in golden.

matt
  3. ZenMaster

ZenMaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    welcome juan! sure you'll find a wealth of info on the site. like your stuff, did you use the standard gs windscreen and took off the lip at the top? and does this smooth the airflow significantly?
  4. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    yo,

whats wrong with the color of your bike. looks sick.

hey I've got the top of the line oil cooler with PIAA 510's, and really like your light mounts. The website picture is not quite the best angle. any more pics from close up and straight on? I'm trying to imagine how my bike will look with the TOL mount and yours. 4XPiaa 510's, and let there be light. cool products, me thinks I may get some. dizave will like the fog lite mount and will try to duplicate it, offer him no help. he claims to have a job but has enough time to take vacations every month so let thim figure it out on his own.

paint that bike black would you?
  5. SWONUT

SWONUT Certified Nut

Oddometer:
    Hey, looks like you have a winner. And a CNC mill to boot. I'm jealous. Just got my welder and have my eye on a Lathe-mill-drill combo. I'm a mechanical engineer by training, the Navy pays the bills, and I love to figure things out, so, having said that, is the Grizzly L-M-D combo ($750 special) any good? The one at Harbor Freight looked very cheaply made. I was unimpressed.
  6. JuanG

JuanG GS Dork

Oddometer:
    did you use the standard gs windscreen and took off the lip at the top? and does this smooth the airflow significantly?

Yup, I just cut about 2" or so off of the stock windscreen using a bandsaw and masking tape as a guide - finished the edge using a belt sander. I figured it sucked anyway so I didn't really care if I screwed it up. It works great. Very smooth airflow - about the same as taking the screen off completely, but with a little more coverage. I'm 6'0" and get good airflow through my helmet now. I guess it's a little cold in the winter - I just suck it up and wear the electric vest.
  7. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Juan.

Will your LightBar accept a set of PIAA 1200's?
  8. JuanG

JuanG GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the positive responses on and offline.

For those who have requested more info on the products, I have posted more pics in the Vendor section.
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi FNG! Welcome to the asylum. :1drink
  10. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:

Juan:

One word of caution. I purchased a set of your light bars at Foothills BMW in Denver. The lightbars are great but on the Adventure with it's bigger screen you cannot mount a set of 910's or 959's as there is not enough room to clear the windscreen.

Trust me. I had to return a set of 959's (same size as 910's) and go with the 1400's. I am using the brackets with the lights on top of the brackets as I have a pair of PIAA 520's on a ZanZbar below. Just FYI.

Please contact me if you'd like to discuss more. Your products are well made and look and feel great.

Tom
  11. JuanG

JuanG GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Tom,

Thanks for the information - I'm sorry you had to return the parts. I did mention this fact in my vendor forum post and you're not the first person that has had that experience. It seems like a lot of ADV owners are running a lightbar and want to run a second set of lights up high. I am seriously considering adding another lightmount to my lineup to accomidate GS-ADV owners. Unfortunately, it takes a little time to get a product from the prototype stage to final production - but I am working with a local ADV owner to come up with a solution.

Thanks again for the feedback -
  12. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Juan:

Not a problem. I simply returned the 959's and ordered 1400's
    which will arrive this week.

If you ever need "another" ADV owner to check stuff out then please consider me. I live in Colorado Springs but ride a LOT and don't mind riding anywhere to see new stuff.

Actually, if you don't already have a lightbar, then ANY light will work if you turn the bracksets upside down. I put a single 520 on there for a bit and it looked great as well. In that configuration the size of light is non-restricted.

Tom
  13. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the ayslum!
  14. arethustra

arethustra California dreamin'

Oddometer:
    Always good to see another rider from CO. -- Ditto on the offer of the Adventure...I'm NW of Ft. Collins but, I'm always riding down to the Boulder area for a beer and entertainment...
  15. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Pics of Juan's brackets on my Adventure with PIAA 1400 fogs. I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Tom
  16. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    yo, sending you a pm if you could email me some pics..
  17. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One cool looking tool!
    A possible improvement on the brackets would be to machine a groove to recess and hide the wiring/ and then route into sleeve.
  18. John Macdonald

John Macdonald Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more craftsfolk around here the better I say!

Have fun with the business-

:beer
  19. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer:
    Question for JuanG or anyone else:

Though the GMTmoto GS LegRest looks pretty cool & very well made, why would anyone NEED them? Obviously, the only time one has the luxury of resting feet up on the heads is while cruising, which would implies high ventilation. I've ridden for miles with my legs up on the valve covers with no protection and never had a problem or even felt too warm from doing so. :scratch
  20. JuanG

JuanG GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I made them because on hot (90+) Summer days my legs would actually get uncomfortably hot resting them on the cylinders for extended periods with the aerostich on. People who ride with leathers or motoX boots don't have a problem. I've definitely received more criticism than praise for them. Although I haven't done the proverbial 1000-mile day yet, I have done quite a few 700+. I will say that the platform is definietly much more comfortable than the cylinder head (personal opinion), but I have pretty lanky ankles, so not as much "protection" as some folks. The angle of each side of the rests are different, to compensate for the different angle of attack that your left leg has compared to your right (one cylinder being closer to the rider than the other). I also use the grate on the top as a rest for my heel , bending my leg and resting my elbows on my knees (I've gotten some really great looks from motorists in this pose). One added benefit is that I no longer melt the heel of my boots on the exhaust.

With justifications stated, I'll admit that they're not for everyone, a bit expensive (I barely make wages manufacturing them) and if nothing else, it's just a something that got me started making other, more useful things.