Yet another KLR succumbed to the Latin fever

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by igorshen, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Supergringo

Supergringo Hablar, bla bla bla.

Oddometer:
    Good for you man! Glad to hear that you are back in the saddle. Nice looking bike too. More photos!

I'm looking forward to some new ride reports!

Best wishes,

Jason
  2. igorshen

igorshen gypsy soul

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll be here for a while. When I get bored, I'll have to look for another place. I think SE Asia will keep me busy for a few years.

I bought this bike. It was the only bike made in Thailand that suits my needs. They also seem to keep their value longer than in the US. Still, it will probably be difficult to beat the value preserved in that KLR that I sold in Peru :rofl

Going up north as soon as I take care of some business here. I've ridden around the Golden Triangle about eight years ago. But there are tons of roads yet to be explored. There is a big biking community up there too. Just got their set of maps :1drink

cheers
  3. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Few years? Wow! You have made the BIG jump Igor! Major Kudos!:clap
    I was there in the 90's and met David Unkovich, an Australian who runs bike tours.
    I wonder if he is still around? He was very helpful with maps and routes into the back country.

Have fun!
  4. cloudshaver

cloudshaver marcusorass

Oddometer:
    let us know how well you like the Versys; It was my 1st choice other than it was hard to farkel up with after market goodies like the klr- wishing I had that sixth gear more than anything
  5. igorshen

igorshen gypsy soul

Oddometer:
    Yup, David is still happily riding around the Golden Triangle. I exchanged a few emails regarding maps with him the other day.

As I said, the market for DS bikes in Thailand is very limited. I heard good things about Versys from my friends. Besdies, having twice as many cylinders as what I am used to doesn't hurt :wink:
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Damn dude, you're already back in the land of ho's, I mean, smiles. :rofl

I might wind up on your doorstep one day. :D

Se vaya bien amigo......:thumb
  7. igorshen

igorshen gypsy soul

Oddometer:
    Yeah Crashy, back to the kingdom of ho's. BTW, while in BA, some people there (experts in the local market) told me that prostitutes' services are about half the price of those in Thailand.

I should get more familiar with roads here, so if you do come to SE Asia, I'll know where good riding can be found. My friend's neighbor is an avid dirt rider. They go riding every week. I'll probably join them when I get a smaller bike.

That video of riding salars was great. I miss that place! Hope the weather is getting warmer there and you enjoy the rest of the ride.

good luck
  8. cloudshaver

cloudshaver marcusorass

Oddometer:
    Hey, just a fan of yours checking in and wondering how the new bike is treating you. Did you start a new thread for this journey?
  9. igorshen

igorshen gypsy soul

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden that bike much. I spent a few weeks in Burma (without the bike) and now I am still waiting for registration papers. They say I'm not supposed to take bike on a long trip without those papers. I'll post a RR if I ride some interesting roads :)

Happy holidays
  10. tobeknown

tobeknown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Igor! It has been awhile since we met in Anaheim, CA. I like the new bike. I rode one through the Ortega Hwy and it seemed comfortable with good handling and pickup. I just rigged another KLR 650 and have moved to Overton, NV (hour norh of Las Vegas) and riding the unlimited amount of trails here. Sounds like your enjoying India. If you ever find yourself out this way, let me know and I'll take you for a ride to the Grand Canyon or Zion Natiuonal Park, UT.

Cheeers!
  11. igorshen

igorshen gypsy soul

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Yeah, it seems like forever...

I like Versys, feels like a rocket compared to my KLR (but then, probably even a Vespa would be more agile than a KLR :rofl ).

I love No. AZ and So. UT. I hope to go there next summer.

Enjoy great deserts of NV

igor
  12. iowarider123

iowarider123 Wanderluster

Oddometer:
    Hello!
    I envy what you went through. Very nice honest reporting!:clap:clap:clap:clap