Yet another Nova Scotia trip plan (this one from NJ)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by NJ650, Jan 5, 2009.

1. NJ650

NJ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Among the many compelling reasons to visit Nova Scotia is that everyone says the people there are very friendly. This article seems to support that. :lol3
    Asked nicely, robber leaves store

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 | 11:08 AM AT
    CBC News

It seems even a thief appreciates good manners.
    A masked man walked into a Needs convenience store in Lower Sackville, N.S., Tuesday night and demanded cash and cigarettes from the clerk.
    Cpl. Joe Taplin, an RCMP spokesman, said the employee simply refused.
    "He asked him, 'Please leave the store,'" Taplin said.
    That polite request caught the would-be bandit by surprise.
    "The suspect then looked at him and said, 'You know, you're the first one to ask me to leave in such a nice way, and because of that I'm going to leave,'" Taplin said.
    The man left the Cobequid Road store and headed up toward Sackville Drive.
    Taplin said the clerk handled the situation well, though the usual advice for people in this situation is to simply hand over the cash.
    He said the clerk used his negotiation skills and didn't escalate the situation by arguing.
    The suspect is described as a young white man, about 17 years old. He was wearing a white bandana over his face and a navy blue top with dark jeans.
    The investigation continues.

2. oj may

oj may Have bike, will travel.

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with tidal bore rafting on the Shubenacadie River. With tides rising as much as 56 feet in the Fundy bay area, there are trips that ride the tidal 'white water'. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, and what it is like? Thanks.:dunno
  3. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    what is the best summer month for NS advntr??
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I think it would be fine all summer long, just be prepared for widely varying weather conditions. When I was there last July we had a couple of cold, foggy mornings, and several very hot, humid afternoons. Occasionally, on the same day.

--mark
  5. pgkeating

pgkeating Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NJ,

I did the Boston to NS last summer. here's a couple of random thoughts:

- Sometimes the fog is so thick, the moisture is rung out of the fog, in the form of rain. We were at Blomidon Provincial park (camping 600 ft up from the surrounding areas) and it "rained" all night. When we got down to the local diner, they said there was no rain there, that night(?) Love hauling around a wet tent : ^ )

- Airline drive has very minimal services. We rode it last year (heading toward Calais) We damn near ran out of gas, as everything closes early. Make sure you fuel up prior to running it. Also, if I remember, the first part of that road was nice sweepers etc, but the second half was pretty boring and the bugs were plentiful. I literally had to scrap them off any forward facing surface, once in Calais. Definitely need a sheided full face helmet.

- On the way home, we took Rt 1 from Calais South. Nice road (ok some construction) down to Arcadia area. You can duck out to the west (to avoid summer traffic) from there.

- If I were to ride New Brunswick again, I'd ride the southern "scenic route". Route 1 to Moncton, 2/104 to Truro, 102 to Halifax, 101 to Windsor was so-so. Granted we were meeting a friend, who has a summer place in Windsor, so we were trying to make time on the slab.

- Digby/St. John ferry was great. No reservations needed. I'd cut that portion of the ride out if I did it again. (unless the southern route in NB was nice and we were taking our time)

- Road markings in NB were lacking, but NS was great. You didn't even need a map, if you had a destination in mind. Just about every intersection was maked with town names and arrows to get you there.

- We ate at a local diner (Mom's Kitchen in Canning), while in the Digby/Annapolis/Fundy coast area. They were SO friendly. We always had a map out scoping rides and they were always asking "where you going today?", "how'd we like what we saw the day before?"

- Folks back home here in MA would ask "what's it like in NB/NS?" My reply was "Maine with 1/10 the population".

Best of luck with the ride.
  6. koalaKid

koalaKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if you don't mind, i'd like to chime in by saying that i will be in Nova Scotia the 2nd or 3rd week of June. I am going to the adirondacks and then swinging up into New Brunswick and riding around Nova Scotia.

I wanted to go to Newfoundland, but I don't have the time. So, instead, I will take a leisurely tour around the mainland maritimes.

I'm expecting to enter New York State around June 3rd. P/M if you think you'd like to ride around with a canadian kid on a tour haha.
  7. NJ650

NJ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks pgkeating.

Yea, not looking forward to it, but I'm planning for it. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones that has a moisture free trip.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to top off before heading into Calais. I'll be wearing a full-face helmet. Thanks for the tip on the bugs. Sounds like I should pack some moist-wipes in my tank bag to clean off the shield often.

I originally thought about that ferry, but my route has change and I'll be skipping it.
  8. NJ650

NJ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chime away!

Enjoy your trip. Would have liked meeting up with you (or any others who are interested), but I won't be doing Nova Scotia until mid-late summer. I've narrowed my dates to sometime between 7/20 - 7/31, 8/9 - 8/28. I may do the Mount Washington/Vermont trip around 6/14-6/16.
  9. One Tooth

One Tooth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nj650
    Mid to late summer would be ideal, although anytime from June to October would be great too...I like the fall no bugs...As far as rain, yes it can rain anytime... but just bring some rain gear. The end of July through August is the hottest with the least "chance" of rain.

There are allot of campgrounds along the way. You can book sites now at national and provincial parks.... so if you know where you will be when?... But National and provincial parks have lots of sites and it is not usually a problem getting a site..... has never been a problem for me.

The best trips are the ones where you wing it.:D
    Force yourself never to feel panicked to get to the end.
    Take as many side trips as you can.
    I can make it from halifax to sydney going on the highway (100km/h) in less than five hours. So you have lots of time to look around.

koalakid
    For some reason the Government does not open the provincial parks until about June 13-15th ..... they use to open up in May :huh ... The national parks are open yearround.

Just so you know If anyone is up around Sydney NS and runs into trouble....I have a few tools and a sledge hammer.:lol3

One Tooth
  10. koalaKid

koalaKid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the parks, i will have to look into the exact dates.

i was planning my trip to be the first week or second week of june....
  11. pgkeating

pgkeating Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NJ,

I am planning on doing Nova Scotia again in July. Because of work (fiscal year ends @ end of June), I'll be heading out prolly ~ July 1st. If your dates change (earlier), let me know. I'll ride it (or a portion) with you.

In a previous post, you mentioned that your route had "changed". What are you currently thinking for a route?

Pete
  12. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    My NS trip is June 25th - July 5. Where are you headed to ?, maybe ill see you on the road.
  13. NJ650

NJ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Almost no chance for going the 1st week in July for me. Maybe I'll get to read a ride report from you before I leave for my trip! :D

Here is what the revised itinerary looks like:

Day - Approx Mileage - Route & details
    • Day 1 - 285 Miles - Leave Central NJ at lunch on Friday. Super-slab it to New Haven, CT for some pizza at Frank's or Sally's. More highway riding to Lowell, MA area. Camp at an ADV inmate's place.
    • Day 2 - 391 Miles - Lowell area to Saint John, NB (Avoiding Rt 1 through Maine, 295 to 9E).
    • Day 3 - 325 Miles - Saint John, NB, to Antigonigh, NS (via Moncton and Truro). If I get here early enough I'll tour Cape George.
    • Day 4 - 262 Miles - Antigonigh, NS to Meat Cove, NS (via Baddeck). If I don't do Cape George on Day 3 I'll do it this morning. Quick stop at White Point to 46deg 52.800 N 60deg 21.000 W.
    • Day 5 - 173 Miles - Meat Cove, NS to Antigonigh, NS (via Cheticamp, Glenville). Hoping for lots of dirt via Judique Flyer Recreational Nature Trail, Inverness Rail Trail, Ceilidh Coastal Trail. Glenora Distillery. Explore Cheticamp.
    • Day 6 - 311 Miles - Antigonish, NS to Mitchells Corner, NB (via Pictou, ferry to PEI, Moncton). Hoping for lots of dirt trails in PEI via Confederation Trail & Souris Trail. Camp in Fundy National Park.
    • Day 7 - 468 Miles - Mitchells Corner, NB to Lowell, MA area (via Bangor, ME)
    • Day 8 - 285 Miles - Lowell, MA area to Home (via New Haven, CT) Pizza at Frank's or Sally's. Maybe visit a relative.
    Things may change a bit as I continue to research...and it may all change as the trip unfolds on the road. Since the plan is to return on a Friday I'll have a 2 day buffer just in case I need the extra time.

14. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    I think some of your mileage / day might be a bit ambitious. My wingman & I did similar miles in a tour around NS, but that was on sport-tourers where you can "crack on" a bit. Our trip to Gaspe last year on Honda XR-L's was much less ambitious mileage / day. We tried to keep to less than 200 miles / day hitting back roads & dirt roads where possible. We did have one day of 296 miles, but we were just happy the rain had stopped! You might want to spread it out just slightly.
  15. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigos, Sounds like a great trip. Planning always gets me fired up to be on my way. Where your going should absolutely beautiful that time of year, but bring your bug dope. I look forward to your ride reports.
    Saludos, Eduardo
  16. Helmet Head

Helmet Head Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer:
    I agree. As I said in this thread, a week in NS is better than not going, for sure, but you will need far more than a week to see it. If this amount of time is all you can spare, then I understand, but if you can budget more time, I definitely would considering all the places you're planning to go. I think you will feel rushed on this itinerary and will pass by many places where you either won't be able to stop at all, or where you wish you could spend more time.

Sounds like a great trip, though!
  17. NJ650

NJ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I did a small "shakedown" trip this past weekend through VT into NH and up Mt. Washington, as an early prep for my NS/PEI ride.

Some firsts for me:
    • First ride over 275 miles. I did 700 miles on Saturday.
    • First overnight/camping ride.

Things I learned. Well, actually things that were reaffirmed for me:
    • 700 miles in a day isn't the most relaxing thing in the world, but it ain't that bad.
    • If you plan on getting something for your trip make sure you have it way in advance. I knew I needed to bring a chamois w/me to dry off the tent, but I didn't get it in time and of course it would have been useful. There is just less and less time available the closer you get to your departure date. I also knew, as someone suggested to me, wet-wipes to keep in the tank bag to wipe your shield off would have been useful. I knew they would be, yet I still didn't get them!
    • Take time to eat/drink. I need to learn how to slow down and not worry about time. I ended up settling for a couple quick donuts for breakfast instead of finding a grocery store to at least get something a bit more nutritious. I also skipped lunch so I could keep moving. Now that the trip is done, I'm wondering what the hell I needed to keep moving for. I had plenty of time to spare.
    • For the NS trip I think I may need to force myself to stick to the itinerary, not so I don't fall behind schedule, but to keep me from moving to quickly. Definitely need to learn how to slow down.
    • Side bags would be really nice to have. Right now I have a FS tank bag, a Kreiga tail bag and a Ortlieb duffel bag. The duffel sits on top of the tail bag. I have plenty of extra space in the duffel, but stacked on the tail bag, it sits a bit high. Ideally I'd like to get some Ortlieb saddle bags, but I'm pretty sure I'd need a rack to hang them from to keep them away from the exhaust, so the cost of the bags and rack would be about $400. Too rich for my wallet for the foreseeable future.
    • Converting Google Maps routes to Garmin routes is a bitch. I found a very useful site to do the conversion, but the routes end up being a series of way points which are not in any particular order, so you have to order them 1st before you can create a useful route in Mapsource.
    • Going to remove my Scala-rider for the NS/PEI trip. No real need for it and it interferes with my Leatt brace when I turn my head to the left.
    • The KLR was solid the entire ride; no noticeable oil useage; highway pegs would be nice for the long stints, but that would probably only give me an excuse to ride farther than I should.
    • I also learned that I need to head back to Vermont to explore the back roads some more!!! Very nice!

18. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

Hate to say it but...this post is useless without pictures and a ride report.:D

Vermont is some great riding!:deal Planning a couple of rides over that way this year.
  19. insanehussain

insanehussain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding up to the Atlantic provinces in a couple of weeks, solo...

Minneapolis to Nova Scotia by way of New England. Ferry up to Newfoundland and back. Make my way back by way of PEI/ New Brunswick/ Quebec/ Ontario. Not set route or itinerary just playing each day by ear. Need to be back in 17 days - So I'll adjust accordingly as I see fit.

I'll be moteling it -- Rooms hard to come by in early July? If I'm good on time I'd like to cross over to Newfoundland; in through Port Aux Basques and out through Argentia. Will play by ear... whats the chances of ferry reservations just 24 hours in advance? Is this generally a hassle, or less so on two wheels?

I'd like to take in as much of the regions as I can... And I kinda enjoy the scenery slighly blurred ;-)

But in the final analysis a guide book and my daily interactions with people will dictate the route and things I see and do along the way. Just free wheeling it... pics, people, good riding, decent room to lay my helmet down for the night, good food and a couple of beers to end each night with -- Thats all I really need for an invigorating road trip.

Advice/Wisdom?
  20. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Slab it as much as you can towards NY/VT. This is a good day and a half ride from the Twin Cities. My theory is the stuff in between that's closer to you will be easier for you to return to on another road trip if there's something you missed.

At Albany, NY head into Vermont. From there, take your time on some scenic back roads. Don't be afraid of the dirt roads in VT. Some of them are graded so well you'll have to look close to see if it's pavement or not.

Look back a few posts, if you haven't already, for some great roads to hit in New England.

For a time/distance reference, a few years ago we did a whirlwind tour of Nova Scotia - southern New Hampshire, across NB, up around Cape Breton and back. No ferry. 4 nights. Tons of 'blurred' scenery.:lol3 With the 'slab in and out' plan that would give you nearly 2 weeks (if I'm doing my math right) to enjoy New England and beyond.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the ride!