Yet another "Which ADV Bike" thread.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Whiskey Tango, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    I am by no means new to motorcycling - well over 250,000 miles on all sorts of bikes over too many years.

My current stable is in my signature and I want an ADV road bike seeing as the DR650 (not for sale) has dirt covered to the extent that I want to do dirt. That said, if I ever did get rid of my beloved DR650, it would be for a smaller/lighter DR or similar dual-sport.

The Road Glide does the big road trips, on big roads, at big speeds with big amounts of gear just fine. Rode from the east coast to/from Sturgis this past summer and tore up the Black Hills for another 1,000 miles in addition to the t/f travelling - love that bike!

I have a 1250S Bandit that I put mild up/back risers on, lowered the pegs to get a little more of an Old Man's riding position and added a V-Stream windscreen which, to be honest, puts a blast of noisy air right on my face/head at just about all speeds. The stock windscreen was pretty much a fashion accessory and the Vstream screen got the blast off my chest and re-directed it to my face/head. Did I mention that I absolutely adore that 1250cc lump? Great engine! The Bandit 1250S is a good bike with a great engine but I just can't connect with the riding position despite flipping the peg mounts over for more reach and the mild pull back risers. I'm only 5.9" with a 30" inseam - I just ain't 20 years old!

Though I have too many bikes, there is a void in my stable. I was planning on getting rid of the Bandit for a V1000; thought it was as simple as that - then I started complicating myself.

The mission profile for whatever new mount I get is weekend (+/-) trips with the inevitable slabbing of getting to the good stuff, then curvy back roads with some mild dirt; (i.e. fire roads) . Though the DR650 I have (and want to keep) does enough dirt for my riding style - it ain't doing the slabbin' the way I want to slab to get "there." It should be noted that I ride solo but am a chronic over-packer bringing enough gear to invade small countries.

Soooooo ...,

1. Do I keep the Bandit 1250S for "Sport Touring" and get a 650-Strom for weekend ADV-ing?

2. Just run that Bandit in everything; maybe with "dirtier" tires?

3. Sell/trade the Bandit 1250S for V-Strom 1000 for longer range ADV-ing and the inevitable slabbing that goes with it?

4. Open to suggestions; I'm not super brand loyal to any particular brand and, other than BMW, am not necessarily ruling any brand out - don't want a BMW. I do wish the Buell Ulysses was still in current production with H-D dealer support! The H-D Pan America (145 h.p.!!!) seems interesting but the CSOB in me will not pay that much and I'm losing confidence in Harley's engineering, design and execution of late.

If all of this weren't enough, did I mention that I have the Italian Model hots for that Moto-Guzzi 850TT??

Bringing it back to Suzuki (which I do have some level of brand affection for) the V-S1000 can do what the Bandit does but not what the DR650 does.

The V-S650 can kinda/sorta/mostly do what the V-S1000 can do but not so much of what the Bandit 1250S or the DR650 does for me.

HELP!
  2. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    V-Max with knobs and a skid. Maybe some taller shocks and forks.
    lithodave likes this.
  3. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    FTR1200 Rally?
    Scrambler 1200?
    Desert Sled with a turbo?
  4. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    Kommando, thanks for the reply. What you quoted was only a portion of what originally posted.
    Somehow when I edited a few typos I deleted most of my post. I was able to re-create it again.

This is such a good time to be into motorcycles - especially ADV bikes because there are so many (too many?) offerings.
  5. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    Gear Patrol used the phrase, "adventure sport touring segment" and I think that describes what I'm looking for.
  6. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tiger 800, 790 Adv R, or a bigger KTM? The 800-class Triumph and KTM engines seem to be generally well-liked, and one can often strip weight to get them close to a stock KLR in heft.
  7. upweekis

upweekis Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no perfect bike. Just pick one and ride the piss out of it
    Rande Huseby likes this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have the money go for the gold.This is one sexy ass bike and fast.Will smoke your harley in 2cd gear. Screenshot_20191110-185624_Chrome.jpg
  9. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    You guys and your motorcycle eye candy!$%#!$%!
    While I don't mind spending money on my passions, I am a CSOB at heart and like value - despite my affection for Harleys' ;)

All good suggestions here - going to put the Bandit up on the block and shop in earnest.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  10. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If money was no concern I would go with the 1200 Triumph Tiger, if it is I would go with the Yamaha Tenere. Both can eat tonnes of miles in comfort, do dirt and with better tires you can do some way off road stuff too.
  11. Aleksandar_the_Great

Aleksandar_the_Great Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tenere 700 is my suggestion, ticks all the boxes.
    Can't wait to get mine
    MGG likes this.
  12. nohumdrumlife

nohumdrumlife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello WT -

I'm about your size and have owned a 1250 Bandit in the past. I even had the V-Stream on it. I do long distance both by myself and 2up. The Bandit, with a Holeshot muffler, was near earvana to listen to, but it was never the most comfortable bike for me or my wife.

In its place I got the 16 AT DCT. With the additions I've made, it can do just about everything (dirt and street) and my wife and I can travel long distance in relative comfort. It's not a Bandit in the grunt department, but its still pretty good.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/making-the-africa-twin-into-a-50-50-touring-bike.1259490/

If I were to be riding solo, I might think about the upcoming Yammy T7 or the KTM 790 but I think that if 2up is part of the equation I would still go with the Africa Twin (those other bikes look less than comfortable for a passenger).

Lastly, the Africa Twin has two other competitive advantages. It's brilliant for guys with 30' inseam. With the short seat in low position, it's like it was made for us. Second, DCT cures alot of ills that used to plague my clutch hand after a 600 mile day.
  13. enduro gorilla

enduro gorilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I currently have a DRZ 400, for off-road . Vstrom 650, for light off-road exploring Vstrom 1000 for touring and the occasional end of asphalt. The Bikes have never left me on the side of the road. I’ve rode over 100k miles on Vstroms with nothing but general service.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  14. Samanjo

Samanjo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Africa Twin or Super Tenere
  15. cabanasjohn

cabanasjohn n00b

Oddometer:
    My Uly like me is getting older everything Ive read about the V-Strom 1000 sounds pretty good looking for owners who can tell me about them would like the 2014 or newer, I'm looking for one bike to do it all.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dr650
  17. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have a Road Glide, a 2017 which has been flawless and gives me smiles for miles. I love the Harley experience and really considered waiting for the Pan American, but then I wised up. Its a first year effort in a class HD has never been in, and I have a feeling this bike was sourced from all over the globe. I went with a Honda ATAS because I have always been a Honda fanboy, had a bunch of them and never a bad one in the bunch. With the ATAS and RG, I have everything I want to do at my ripe old age covered. Good luck and let us know.
    rauchman likes this.
  18. DirtDad

DirtDad Green Chile Guru

Oddometer:
    This thread screams KTM 790S. I was lucky enough to test ride one a couple months back. I have been searching for a replacement for my 15 ST.
    I want a more capable and lighter bike for off road so not sure about the 790 platform, but for your requirements this bike would check all the boxes.
    It is quicker than my ST, handles much better, feels soo light in comparison, and has that fun factor, I would get in trouble on the twisties with that
    bike! It was the best adventure bike I have ridden so far. It would tear up those fire roads too. Hell maybe I should just trade my ST for one. :D
  19. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you homework, lots of failures with the 790. Hopefully KTM fixes all the problems with the first model year bike.
  20. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chronic overpacker? Only one choice ( since you don't want a BMW) Super Tenere.
    SSBB likes this.