YJake does the TAT in 2020

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Madhouse, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wanna go next year real bad, but don't want to go by myself. Do any Florida (or Bama) Boys out there have any interest in doing the Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas sections in 2010? I think I may have a trailer/truck lined up to intercept us at the end in Oaklahoma for the jaunt back to northwest Florida when we're done. Lets talk about it!:ear
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skip TN and start in AR...:freaky Read the RR in my sig line. Sanjoh and I did it and wished we skipped TN. Nothing bad, but there are hardly any dirt roads in TN anymore. YMMV
  3. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Hey Oscar!:wave :wave Yea, I know, but TIME ain't on my side in the near future. Thought I'd get those sections under my belt like yawwl did even though Tennessee is mostly pavement.
    Just wanted to throw this out there just in case someone around here wanted to go also. Most likely, I'll end up riding with some strangers if I go. That ought to enhance the Adventure a bit......................at least for them anyway ridin with me!:evil :evil
  4. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Any which way you go, the TAT is cool:thumb . Our thought was that there was more dirt in TN, that's all. TN is beautifull so nothing wrong there.
    You'll like it!! :D
  5. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    I highly reccomend it and would love to do it with the Hooligans.

Tennessee isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be plus you get the stream crossings and beautiful scenery. By the time you get to Oklahoma, you will be racking your brain to remember what a pine tree looks like. Mississippi is short which is good. The gravel half is fun, the pavement half is depressing, but you get to ride on the levees at the end which is real fun. Arkansas is a real treat, you start on endless farm roads grave, dirt and silt, then you cross the Ozarks which is beautiful and challenging. Oklahoma starts out in some fun with trips through wildlife areas and ends with a 120 mile straight, gravel road.

Tony, if you find yourself up here on a long weekend I'll do Tennessee or MS with you. I really want to do the Desert and Mountains of Colorado, maybe next year.
  6. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt More or less in line

Oddometer:
    I thought you wanted to ride the MS Hill Country part with me. It goes from Jackson, MS to the regular TAT in North MS. http://www.transamtrail.com/reports/2004/2004-03-mississippi/

I might just go to Ouray, CO & Moab, UT instead. Those places are very addictive. I can't stop wishing I lived there. I would live in Ouray until the cold & snow got to me, then I'd move to Moab until the heat got to me.:norton
  7. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    I got yr problem solved, Rob--ya just buy a place in Ouray for yr summer residence, and spend yr winters here in the Deep South. Fall and spring you could choose yr preference. And you could host a big ol' ADV summer shindig at yr place in Ouray. See, that wasn't so hard.:D

Tony, I like the idea of doing the TN/MS/AR sections of the TAT next year, it's more realistic for me right now than planning a western TAT run. A couple questions--what time of the year are ya thinking about doing it, and are ya gonna camp? OK, one more question--would you trailer up to TN or ride up? I know you've already thought the logistics out...
  8. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear
  9. PoodlePumper

PoodlePumper Custom Title User

Oddometer:
    Possible interest here as well...curious as to possible dates, etc. What's the estimate for trip duration? :ear
  10. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    :lurk

You got me hook, line, & sinker, Tony. Now, we need to figure out the specifics! :deal
  11. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Well Tony, there you go, a bunch of FF's are interested..:deal :freaky
  12. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ashley and i are dreaming of doing the whole thing next year and riding street back hitting up all the tourist spots. mainly just a dream for now but she did bring it up again tonight ina serious way asking if i could really take that much time off work and still have job when i got back...... "no problem" i assured her :D

i added that i might not mind doing it in sections if she can't take that much time off work or if things just don't work out but i told her that i'd have a hard time stopping half way.
  13. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    Tony,

On any jaunt like this you need to make sure all the riders are compatible... don't want to be at each others throats and annoyed with each other after two days...

It's always best to ride with people you know as you know what to expect as do they...

As for the Tennessee part... the piece is to do The Trans Am Trail...beginning to end....

Tony, good luck my friend! People need real adventures in their lives! Live it!

You can check out my last adventure to Idaho this summer.... go here...
  14. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    On second thought, I do get annoyed fairly easily, y'all get on my last nerve after 15 minutes, I can only imagine what a big trip would be like. I'd be at every one of you FF's throats... :lol3

And y'all know what a freakin' gazoonie I am, y'all would get tired of the constant "If I had yer money..." and "I can't do that, I'm broke!" and "Hey my bike's effed up 'cuz I'm an ineptizoid"...

...to say nothing of the wheelies and general hooliganism and unsafe behavior that you'd be exposed to...

...and last but not least, refusal to pay the FEE:rofl

just sayin'
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    +1

AND add Colorado:evil
  16. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like a good time to me :clap
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    You sound like someone I'd like to ride with:fyyff
  18. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Date? Late Spring next year.
    How long? If your like most other folks, we ain't got much time. More research needs doing, but I figure we can go a long way's in 7 to 10 days.
    Get there/get home? I'd like to trailer the DR up. Almost positive I've got someone that can make that happen and same again with pickin up the pieces in Oklahoma. P'Cola to Telleco on a DR would take some of the zing out of the trip for me, not to mention the clock thats tickin on the 7 to 10 day's that was alloted. May have room on the trailer for more scooters. Depending on decisions made, could have another driver and trailer to help out with this detail.
    What kind of riding skills are expected? From what I read from reports of other TAT riders on these sections, it ain't that tough. If you've been riding for a few years, your machine is in top operating condition, and can go a couple hundred miles in a day, then that should be sufficiant.
    Campin or Hoe-tellin it? That time of year, we could easily camp. Don't wanna lot of crap tied to the DR though. I wouldn't mind Hoe-tellin it. Lets talk about it.
    Can't we just get along? I can get along with just about anybody. You need to be able to do that too. We're here to have fun. Probably the secret is to treat someone like you would like to be treated. If we all would bend over backwards to accomidate each other, the group should be OK. In my 38 years of offroad motorcycle riding, I only had one guy holler at me...........and it didn't end well.:1drink
    God forbid, what if someone breaks down? (it happens way too often) I ain't got a answer for this one. Personally, I just can't go off and leave anyone broke down. Circumstances will dictate the degree of the groups help. Possibly we could pair-up and be "Battle Buddies". My buddy breaks down or gets hurt,,,I shut it down and take over gettin him back to civilization/help/home............... We need to discuss this one.
    You gonna be the leader? I don't want to. I've been a ride leader many times, and always, always,,,,,,,,,,,,,well almost always gotten positive feedback. If I am, you'll need a sense of humor and a bit of patience to put up with me.
    Anything else?.....Hell,,,is that it? No way hoe-zay. We got about 8 months to "kickstands UP " in Tellaco.
  19. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone got new boots... Ya just can't hide money:ksteve
  20. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    OK Swampy, I got this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, your comments are causing my thread to get hi- jacked by the Hooligans. Ok Hooligans,,,,yawwl can quit making fun of the Swampy!.......................Please:1drink