YJake does the TAT in 2020

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Madhouse, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You,Buzz,DR.Z and Inept going????????????????????? Yea Baby!:clap
  2. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    If the timing worked out I'd love for this to be the start of my westward ho journey to the Vegas. That would be so sweet. But shit like that never works out.
  3. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    You know me. I'm all about paying the FEE. Can't pay it enough.
  4. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

:fyyff

We just need more :freaky and the FF's will get along beautifully! :deal
  5. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    out of curiosity, if you wanted to do the trip, but were on a budget (me), how much do you think i'd have to spend to find a ds that could make the trip? are you guys riding or trailering to jellico?

i should be out of school by then. i've been dreaming about it for years.
  6. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    Just givin' ya some insight from experience. Our Idaho trip resulted in a fractured right hand and fractured left finger, two bikes needing major service due to malfunctions, and two more needing major trail side repairs, plus we had a bike go over an edge...

We had to plan on 1400 off-road miles with 240 miles a day with no gas stops, navigating through the largest wilderness area in the Lower 48, and getting everyone from point A to point B each night.

Oh yes... and no fee was involved... except what we paid our buddy Jack to spend two weeks in his truck hauling our gear from night to night...and airfare... and food... and parts and prep... and misc. expenses...

A long journey on a motorcycle should not be taken lightly, more things can go wrong than can go right.

Tony, good luck on your planning. Feel free to pm me if you need to. We planned for 11 months.

Biggest thing to do is set a date. If there's no date set, there's no target.

All the best!
  7. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Yer gonna laugh but it's true...those boots are hand-me-downs, and they were free!:lol3

Did I mention I ride a KLR?:D

Oh and P.S.--I like Tony's idea about "Battle Buddies," 'cuz shit, well, it do tend to happen.
  8. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    Let me play. These are just thoughts and various bitching from my recent trip that I hope they won't find here. I have a lot of this on my mind having just gotten back.

Date? Late Spring next year.
    It rains a lot up here in the spring and tends to get cold. I thought I would get off a TAT trip this spring and it never warmed up before sweatfest.

How long? If your like most other folks, we ain't got much time. More research needs doing, but I figure we can go a long way's in 7 to 10 days.
    Wrap it around memorial day and you can pull 10 days, start asking off now!. The TAT maps give you around 200 miles/day. I see a lot of people doing 250 mile days and 300 is easy if you don't have to have 3 sit down meals per day. 400 miles is possible riding sunup to sundown eating snacks at gas stops and one sit down lunch meal. You can still eat a meal after dark.

Get there/get home? I'd like to trailer the DR up. Almost positive I've got someone that can make that happen and same again with pickin up the pieces in Oklahoma. P'Cola to Telleco on a DR would take some of the zing out of the trip for me, not to mention the clock thats tickin on the 7 to 10 day's that was alloted. May have room on the trailer for more scooters. Depending on decisions made, could have another driver and trailer to help out with this detail.
    Trailering is the only way, make it happen. I did way too much slab getting to the trail, wore out my tires, my patience and my ass.

What kind of riding skills are expected? From what I read from reports of other TAT riders on these sections, it ain't that tough. If you've been riding for a few years, your machine is in top operating condition, and can go a couple hundred miles in a day, then that should be sufficiant.
    Anyone can do a 200 mile day. If you want to do big miles, you need to be doing 55-60 all the time. Most of the roads are gravel and it takes a bit of practice to learn to go fast on gravel. Stopping is the real bitch. We averaged around 45mph moving and 30-34mph overall for the day.

Campin or Hoe-tellin it? That time of year, we could easily camp. Don't wanna lot of crap tied to the DR though. I wouldn't mind Hoe-tellin it. Lets talk about it.
    Look at the ride reports and you will be jealous of the hotel stayers. They aren't carrying sleeping bags and tents on their bikes, they eat hot meals every night and they wash their clothes. They also aren't putting on miles. The problem is that you have to be in a real city to stay at a hotel (or even a decent campground) so you might give up some prime riding time trying to find a room, checking in, trying to find food, etc. On a longer trip I would probably stay in a room in bigger cities to wash up, receive packages, watch the news and eat hot meals, but I wouldn't leave the tent at home.

Can't we just get along? I can get along with just about anybody. You need to be able to do that too. We're here to have fun. Probably the secret is to treat someone like you would like to be treated. If we all would bend over backwards to accomidate each other, the group should be OK. In my 38 years of offroad motorcycle riding, I only had one guy holler at me...........and it didn't end well.:1drink
    Pretty much my goal in life is to not be a bother to other people. I am the least picky person I know. I eat anything, sleep anywhere... That said, my goal on my recent trip was to reach New Mexico and that would require big days on the trail. My travel partner was on the same page in theory. He rode fast as hell, but he tended to stop and smoke dope from time to time and started to look for places to stay at around 2:30 and gave up travel at 5:00. There are a lot of ways to do the trail, it would be a good idea to discuss and agree on what the goals are for the trip and each day. When I was by myself, I travelled until 7:30 or 8:00.

God forbid, what if someone breaks down? (it happens way too often) I ain't got a answer for this one. Personally, I just can't go off and leave anyone broke down. Circumstances will dictate the degree of the groups help. Possibly we could pair-up and be "Battle Buddies". My buddy breaks down or gets hurt,,,I shut it down and take over gettin him back to civilization/help/home............... We need to discuss this one.
    Fuck 'em. Or do what you can. Everyone should decide and agree what their individual mission is before the trip and work toward that end. I think there is a point where you can send someone back with, say a busted wheel bearing, but make sure a guy with a broken bone and his bike are taken car of. I have only been the victim here and once I have cell coverage, don't want to bog anyone down.

You gonna be the leader? I don't want to. I've been a ride leader many times, and always, always,,,,,,,,,,,,,well almost always gotten positive feedback. If I am, you'll need a sense of humor and a bit of patience to put up with me.
    This could go in several places here. I learned that two riders work well if they ride nearly side by side. Most of the roads are dusty gravel so riding close enough that the second rider doesn't get in the dust or roost of the first rider is important, but the second rider also needs to be far enough behind to drop in behind the first if they meet an oncoming vehicle. I lost my headlight and took dozens of rock to th face trying to find the right spot.

A third rider has to be way the hell back to avoid the dust and thrown rocks. When the lead riders get to a crossroad or whatever to check on the third rider, it can add a ton of time.

I though about our Eglin and Hutton rides on this trip and about how everyone works to team up and take care of one-another. That worked without planning for some reason and I admire that. Except when we left Scott for dead that is...

Anything else?.....Hell,,,is that it? No way hoe-zay. We got about 8 months to "kickstands UP " in Tellaco.
    Everyone should have a common goal. Tennessee in two days, Mississippi and 100 mils of Arkansas in one day. 300 miles of Arkansas and 100 miles of Oklahoma on the third...
    How many days will it take to drive or ride back East/South?
    I got second thoughts into the trip on what day I wanted to return home.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  9. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Your points are well taken Mini. Now ya got me thinking. And that doesn't happen often.:lol3
  10. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Thanks MiniTrail, good stuff you've written and this is exactly the input I was hoping for. I'm gonna digest what you've written before posting more comments/questions. I don't want to re-invent the wheel so to speak, just adopt what's been proven to work from past riders experiences.
  11. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good plan Tony. I really would like to do a trip of this nature. I'll keep following this to see how it develops
  12. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt More or less in line

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to add. If you hotel it, then do NOT make reservations. It makes it so you can't adjust your stops as you go.
    Also, it's very important to start each day at sunrise. In the spring, you don't have as much daylight as summer.
  13. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Rob, thanks for that input. Rob and Mini....................being you've both ridden this section, what do yawwl think about something like a Hennesee hammock(google it)? Can't get a room?,,,,,,not a big deal,,,,stretch out the hammock in a couple trees. Use only as an emergency when hotel ain't feasable. Easy to pack, not in the way much. :ear
  14. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    You'll never find two trees on the same acre in Oklahoma. Pretty much the only places that aren't wastelands or farmlands where the trees are on private property are when you go through National Forrests in Mississippi and Arkansas and wildlife reserves. It's perfectly legal to throw your hammock up in the national forrests, I don't know about the wildlife reserves, but I noted that one had designated camping areas.

There are masters of stealth camping on this forum. I have always wanted to do it. I spent a great deal of time looking for possible spots on the trip. There were several places that looked ideal, but never worked out to be at the end of the day. When I was travelling alone in Arkansas, I found a spot off the road where I could hide a tent and the bike in a place I thought would be lightly travelled. It was pretty much the most terrifying night of my life. It probably would have been better if there had been someone with me or if I had not been stone sober. I was terribly paranoid that someone would come by and roust me from my sleep with a rifle or that every truck that went by was going to pull into the lot where I was hiding.

It actually worked out fine, but I couldn't get out of there fast enough in the morning.

I am still amped from the trip and I can't talk about this enough right now so don't hold back on the questions. I am totally ready to plan another one.
  15. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Native Son. I can't answer your question other than to say that AFTER you have the motorcycle, it will probably cost a bit less than $2000 (give or take a $1000) after all is said and done. This does not include anything pertaining to your motorcycle. Don't ask me where I get these figures. I just make-em up as I go.:lol3
  16. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    My tent, sleeping bag, toiletries, some food and clothes are in that backpack on my fender. What took up the most room is my jacket (in the stuff sack bunjeed on the side).

[​IMG]
    The tent is in the green dry bag, the poles are strapped to the bike separately. It was cold as balls in the ozarks, you have to have a tent.

My riding partner in the top pic has 11 bags attached to his bike. Fender, handlebar, tank, saddle and a pile on the back. He has two spare tubes a complete rain suit, probably two jackets, a thermarest, two video cameras a laptop... There is a gallon of gas in one of his saddlebags. It was geared to run 80+ on the highway. I can't believe it was my bike that broke down.
  17. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    :poser
  18. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    i realize its an impossible question to try to answer. I guess my question should have been, if you were going to buy a bike specifically for this trip with the intention of probably selling it afterwards, would a $2000 klr make it, or would I end up stranded in MS?
  19. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

I guess it depends on what type of bubble gum the PO used to keep the bitch glued together so it can run! :deal

KLR riders are cheap, you know! :hide

Of course, I'm a cheap bastid too & I ride a DRZ! :evil
  20. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    No and yes!
    [​IMG]
    How do you delete a thread? Anybody know?:lol3