YJake does the TAT in 2020

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Madhouse, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    As a KLR rider and enthusiast, I may be a bit biased but I'm gonna say the answer to your question about a $2K KLR making the trip successfully is YES. With a caveat--as long as you've got an idea of the maintenance history of the bike. $2K toward a KLR purchase puts you on a ~10-yr old bike, so service history is crucial IMO. Especially if yer gonna take it on a long trip right off the bat.

Lotsa good deals on old 1st-gen KLRs out there right now, but then there are lotsa good deals on everything. $2K will put you on a decent older DR650 or DRZ400 right now, too. Or an XR650L, for that matter. Choices are a good thing.:deal

Tony, sorry about the earlier thread hijack. Trying to mend the error of my ways here...
  2. Hatch

Hatch It's a bit loud, mmhmm

Oddometer:
    +1

Subscribed
  3. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt More or less in line

Oddometer:
    I agree with Mini. If you want to be prepared for an emergency, then just pack a tarp & a "emergency" planket/bag. On the eastern TAT there are plenty of Wal-Marts & everything else. All you have to do is tell your Garmin to "Find" gas, food, shelter, whatever & it's not a big deal.
    You would have to be the most unlucky SOB in the world to not find a room somwhere. I can see it now. "Sorry Sir. There's a Rice Grower's convention in town tonight & we're all booked up.":lol3
  4. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks. that's all I wanted to know.
  5. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Matt don't give up on us. The fellas on the west end of the state are constantly testing each other for "paper assholes".:lol3
    Sometimes I can't help but join in too even though I don't understand the humor sometimes. You definatly have the right idea,,,,,getcha a KLR, practice a bunch on it, and join in on one of the rides that the Sand Fleas/Tallahasse Area Riders/or the Pensacola Area Riders put on constantly.
  6. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    :scratch

[​IMG]

we're fine. its the adv rule of three. ask a serious question, and get three stupid answers for every good one. if it bothered me, i'd be at horizons unlimited.
  7. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Well alrighty then. Now that the seeds of possibility are planted, we have some researching to do. Thankfully, we have Rob and Brian (and Oscar too) on board who have already done this and can share "must do's/fuggetabooutit's" with us.
    Putting out dates is a great start. Brian has already discussed the possible weather condition if we go late spring. We're gonna listen to him and put the date into early summer. SCRIBE you mentioned earlier in the thread about a date being tough for you. Now's the time to give us a window. Same goes for everyone wanting to go. Majority rules...................... some may have to get on their knees beggin to their boss's.:ymca
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feel free to awsk questions about the TAT. John (Sanjoh) and I did it on big bikes, so the smaller ones should be able to handle the real rough stuff a bit better.
    We can chat about that at ANF or the Scrub...:freaky
  9. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:

I already said I was gonna need some time in the Spring and got one of these :thumb
    Most places I worked would have given me a modified version:ken :nono

IMS tank is here for the DRZ, and I got a package from BARB at Alaska leather:nod

After PRE-FEST I'll start my search for some soft luggage.

If we're throwing thoughts out there I might suggest hotel every other night so as to wash the stank off in proper fashion... YMMV:ostrich

Any idea on what the mileage would be. I'm sure with fresh rubber I'd be good to go on the Zuk... Feck if Inept does a wheelie every nine feet and his rear tire makes it through:amazon
  10. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    Buzz every one seams to like these bags, in vendors area under - Greatbasin by Giant loop - or www.giantloopmoto.com
  11. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I've been thankin' and thankin' on this one and I just don't know how to get it to work for me. If I was actually on my way west for good it would likely be in a cage with my bikes in tow, so what the hell good would I be on the TAT? If I'm still a resident of FLA by then I could take the time off of work and make the trip, but all I could get would be about 10 days, including weekends. If I already live out in the Vegas, what the hell would I be doing riding east to west? Going home maybe?

All of which is to say shit, I dunno. Throw up a date and I'll see if I can make it work.
  12. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Me too. Lets all discuss more during/after the Pre ANF ride
    Forrest, I like those bags!
  13. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....and the plot thickens
  14. Madhouse

Oddometer:
    Done and Done. Great............................now to check my calender to see if I can go.:lol3
    [​IMG]
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    :pot :pot :lol3
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    If this is a hard date, I'll mark it down now... I'll be there if I can be there:evil
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I can probably get a week off anytime along there. I just need to have some notice. Needs to be before summer gets into high gear.
    That Giant loop thingy looks to be a quality piece of kit, but I think I want to go more traditional...
  18. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    There is www.wolfmanluggage.com also. I got another site but i got to find my book were I listed it.

Cheaper to,
  19. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Wolfman gear is bombproof but not at all waterproof (maybe their side bags are diff)

Shaun, for soft bags you're going to keep seeing 2 brands raved about: Ortlieb (German and spendy and worth every cent) and SealLine (US and cheaper and 99% the qual of Ortlieb)

I'm a SealLine poster child-- 2 Black Canyon duffels and the huge bang-for-buck 30-liter satchel-- the shit works

[​IMG]

there's a tent and poles, sleeping bag, hammock and straps, food, extra BDU's, and dry socks in there, and the damned thing is folded over twice. Bone-dry and bombproof to boot

I'll bring the SealLine gear to PreFest so's you can eyeball it :thumb
  20. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I had the Ortlieb ones I gave to Tom and his wife when they did the fly and ride on my KLR560. They were nice bags. I'll eyeball your SealLine ones in :clap less than two weeks!!! :clap and see what they look like. Your right about the Ortlieb bags... Spendy, but they were built like a brick shithouse- with storm shutters:nod You gotta keep any of them off the pipe though...
    burnt bag.jpg