YJake does the TAT in 2020

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Madhouse, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt More or less in line

Oddometer:
  2. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Less expensive bag option. Available in a variety of colors.

Works great, hauled 2 of the small ones around the country this summer with no issues.

[​IMG]

Even matches the Givis:D
    [​IMG]
  3. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
  5. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Feck Yeah that's a deal!!
  6. KawDlr

KawDlr Kawasaki GURU

Oddometer:
    OK Guys I will throw my 2 cents in there. Trying to make several sections in one day is ok if you don't want or need to take a break for photos or fuel. The KLX will travel 150 miles on 3.2 IMS till it coughs and there isn't much left in the IMS for reserve. We did take hammocks to sleep in. If you have never tried a hammock as a sleeping bag they are the next best thing to a serta perfect sleeper(well almost). I can't seem to get comfy on the ground and go to sleep and when I finally wake the next day I can't get going as well when all the joints ache. I bought this hammock (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/index.html) specifically for the purpose of tent camping and riding the TAT. There is a word of caution here to come as well. When camping in cool to cold weather, the sleeping bag you insert inside will be compressed under the weight of your body and reduces its thermal efficiency thus freezing your back and legs. I went to sleep one night in Georgia next to a river and at midnight it was just 60 degrees and when I finally gave in and got up around day light it was low 30s. I couldn't feel my feet for about 20 minutes of walking.

I packed all my clothes, toiletries, tent, sleeping bag, tools, tubes, and misc gear in to one tail bag.
    [​IMG]

This is the hammock set up on the trip
    [​IMG]

This is inside shot. It has a hand hang down pocket that slides back and forth down the guide wire at the top so you can slip your wallet, ipod and pistol in there for safe keeping at night. If you notice that you can sleep sideways across the Hennessy and lay flat.
    [​IMG]

A side shot of the hammock on another trip to the mountains
    [​IMG]

A word or advice, pick a good tree if you plan to set up after dark. Travis didn't check this one too good. Laughed all day long. He slept all night and the early waking hours CRACK and down he went.
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to our TAT TN section with some photos and words about a tunnel you may want to check out.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354876
  7. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    Travis may have picked the wrong tree, but he picked some kickass hammock gear from Eagle's Nest :nod I know lots of folks like Hennessy, but i'm sold on Eagle Nest stuff. Check their website-- lots of cool ideas for whacky hammock setups. EN's Slap-straps are one of the best ideas since the Camelback and/or peanut butter. My Slap-straps ride in the tailbag to double as tow straps :nod

Jody! Hope we see you at Pre-Fest man
  8. KawDlr

KawDlr Kawasaki GURU

Oddometer:
    Your right Mug, they have an ingenious strap system and loads of accessories, but I do like the fact that the Hennessy's bug net is incorporated. God knows we have tons of mosquito's and flying bugs attracted to light at night, and with the bottom automatic closing entry on the hennessy it prevents any unwanted pest getting into your sleeping quarters.
    To me the eagles nest offers each piece separately, and the hennessy comes loaded with them. The snake skins(sleeves on the outer most edge of the rain fly) you see in the other trip to the mountains are great when packing up. Within minutes of deciding to leave, you simply release the two out rigger cords used for stability from swinging at night, and then whole kit rolls up nice and tight and the snake skins slip over the unit to make the entire unit one snake looking tube. Then it is a matter of untying and stuffing in your bag and your gone even without getting a single bit of mud or dirt on it from inclement weather. For those nights when there are no trees around, if there is a hill side or road side billboard, bridge pillions under a quite road, or even fence post in a corner of a field, there are more options than just trees. I pack some heat when I travel alone. I fear more problems with two legged animals than the four legged ones. The two legged ones recognize the chambering of the weapon. :lol3

PREFEST: It will be a fluke if I get to make it. We are busy right now which is a god send in this economy. If I do, I'll be camping one night. Then you inmates can check out the hennessy in person. Let you know closer to the weekend date.
  9. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Foods on me this go round Jody:nod
  10. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're busy, Jody. I don't have to tell you y'all are the exception to the rule. Ya must be doing something right.

Hope you can make pre-Fest!
  11. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some folks, swear by them so something must be right and it would be cool to see one, as I fail to see that it is a comfy way to sleep :dunno. I toss and turn so much, that I prolly end up outside that thing...:lol3 :lol3
    Hopefully you can make it Jody, but work is work.:thumb
  12. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on the hammock tent. When I was working for Blue Ridge Racing I got to demo one as we were going to carry some.

Negatives:
    1. I had a hard time setting the dang thing up. Finding 2 trees the right distance apart is more of a chore than I care for. Maybe in the woods not so much but at a campground I had a hard time with it. Just something to consider.
    2. What do you do with your gear? Unlike a tent there's nowhere to put it to keep it out of the elements. Sure, you could carry another tarp but you start talking about bulk... may as well tote along a tent.
    3. You'll still want to use a sleeping pad. Anything under 60F and you'll freeze without one. Big Agnes sleeping bags are nice because they have a slot for you to insert a pad, thus eliminating the next problem which is staying on the pad in the hammock while sleeping.
    Positives:
    1. It does pack small and it's lightweight. Without packing an additional tarp of course.
    2. It's great on a thumper where space is a serious issue.
    3. It's easy to take a leak in the middle of the night.
    4. You don't end up pitching a tent on a rock or stick.
    To me, I hated the thing. But some people love them. So, I guess it has to be tried first. I would most definitely try it close to home for a weekend before I made a long trek with one.

Just my 2 cents.
  14. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Tony, I have a SPOT you can play with if you'd like. I bought it awhile ago, and have not played with it much offroad. I used it a bunch when going to Thomaston, GA on the BMW to let Jeanne know I made it- No cell service at my Uncles house.
  16. Mugwest

Mugwest .

Oddometer:
    good call Matt-- just read the 1st page and it's got a hook from Go.
  17. Mini Trail

Mini Trail n°°b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm still sick and it is raining again so I put way too much into this plan. If you don't like the proposal, I won't be offended. I put these things together for trips I never take all the time.

This plan covers 11 days, us working stiffs will need 6 days off.

Spend Friday May, 21 Travelling to TN, you can park and stay here and celebrate my daughter's 6th birthday. It's also possible to leave after work and arrive late. It is 420 or so miles from Pcola, travel time is 8-8.5 hours.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Pensacola,+FL&daddr=13680+Hwy+193,+Williston,+TN+38076&geocode=&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=30.473413,-87.212261&sspn=0.21778,0.307961&ie=UTF8&z=7

Saturday May, 22. It's 39 miles South to drop in on the trail less than halfway into MS. Do the remaining 167 miles of MS and 88 miles of Arkansas to the Mike Freeze Wattenshaw Wildlife management area. They have a bunch of apparently unused camping sites, I don't know if you have to pay. There are no facilities there at all. http://www.agfc.com/data-facts-maps/maps/wildlife-mgt-areas/mikefreeze_wattensaw.aspx
    You can buy gas, beer and ice when you pass through Clarendon about 20 miles away.
    Total riding miles for the day 294.

Sunday May, 23 ride the trail 248 miles into Arkansas. Camp at the very tip top of the Ozarks at WhiteRock. http://www.whiterockmountain.com/Campground.html
    I am pretty sure they have showers and such for campers, but I haven't checked yet. They also have cabins.
    Total riding miles for the day 248.

Monday May, 24. Ride down the Ozarks and finish Arkansas in 80 miles. Ride 183 miles of Oklahoma, then 16 miles off the trail to Osage hills state Park. http://www.shopoklahoma.com/osagehil.htm All OK state park campgrounds are $10.00 for basic.
    Total riding miles for the day 280.

Tuesday May, 25 Short day, 170 miles to Alva, OK. This place has some motels where you can get in early to rest up, pick up packages, do maintenence...
    Total riding miles for the day 170.

Wednesday May, 26. Finish Oklahoma. Boise City is near the border, you can ride to New Mexico, then turn back and stay at Boise City or Black Mesa state park or stop there and finish OK the next day with a few short miles.
    Total riding miles for the day 285 - 325.

Thursday May, 27. 326 Highway miles Southeast toward Oklahoma City and pick up Route 66 West of OKC. Ride 100 miles of Historic Route 66 East through Oklahoma City. I don't know where to stay here, This planned route ends around Chandler OK. I don't know anything about the area or how tedious riding Route 66 is. The good thing about Oklahoma Route 66 is that it parallels I 40 so you don't have to use the Interstate, but if it does get too tedious, or you spend a few hours in a snake museum, you can make up time.
    Total riding miles for the day 426 miles all highway.

Friday May, 28. Route 66 Northeast intercept TAT and TAT back to Snowdale State Park. I actually planned this to cross the TAT and continue Route 66 through Afton, OK due to them still having some interesting Route 66 artifacts there. You can even eat at the world's largest McDonalds on the way. I stayed at Snowdale SP on my TAT trip and found it to be a cool place with a gas station selling cold beer within walking distance. The showers are kind of gross.

Saturday May 29. Backwards on The TAT covering 70 miles of Oklahoma and 247 miles of the best of Arkansas including Warloop road. Finishing around Conway, AR.
    Total riding miles a whopping 317
    If you can get get Kevin to come and bring his big rig, I could probably get my wife to meet us around Conway to Interstate us back home Saturday night so

Sunday May, 30 you can drive home to Florida and have

Monday May, 31 Labor day to unpack, relax get ready for work...

If you can't arrange the ride back from Arkansas, it can be easilly be done in one additional day that takes away from your cushion.

I know that Route 66 was never part of the original discussion, but it seemed like a fun diversion to see some stuff most of us haven't and to skip ahead a little on the way back.
  18. zuludude

zuludude positive

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on hittin the trail but i'm looking to start at madison/ mississippi being that it's closer to p-cola but i'm looking more at april rather than may - job willing- may is the start of tourist season at the beach so april is the latest i can hit it w/o being winter
  19. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great schedule Mini, that looks like the foundation we should build on. You've been there/done that and so the schedule has merit in my opinion. I like to plan stuff too, but the details defeat me sometimes. Good thing about the TAT is its been done many times. Just follow the instructions and ride!
    Especially like the suggestion about Route 66 too. Remember the TV show anyone? Seems like they had a fist fight every 5 minutes or so.:1drink
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R_ykDw-06H8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R_ykDw-06H8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    I ordered the series a while back on Netflix. Kinda Hokie now, but sure enjoyed those shows as a kid.

20. Swampy

Swampy Mayor of Swampyville

Oddometer:
    Tony looks like you're moving right along!

Enjoy your adventure, nothing like having stories to tell! :ricky