Yo Sobrevivi el Camino a Batopilas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickcorwn, Mar 26, 2011.

1. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I feel a little mushiness. Hmmmm

We saw a spot of shade a short distance ahead and got into it.

I said "We'll just pull the tube without pulling the tire and patch it."

Bob, ever the enabler said "Right On."

This is the Michelin Ultra HD tube. It's more like an "Inner Tire". It's NOT easy to deal with on the roadside.

Anyway, we got it out, found a hole and patched it. I'm thinking we will be on the road soon as I put the tube back into the tire. What I should have been thinking was "I wonder if this nail made holes on the inside of the tube."

After re-mounting the tire and inflating it I knew a little more.

We dismounted the tire again, added another patch and re-mounted the tire.

[​IMG]

In the process of re-mounting the tire the bike fell off the center stand (rock).

[​IMG]

The second patch leaked. We decided to pull the wheel and put in the spare front tube that I had.

[​IMG]

The new tube worked, but by now it was getting late.

[​IMG]

By the time we got everything re-packed it was dark, but we only had 43 miles to go and 10 of it was paved. We got to Creel at about 9:30.

A BIG Muchas Gracias to Tio Molcas who even though they were closed made some burritos for us so we wouldn't starve.
  2. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The next morning I got the HD tube repaired at a Desponchado and we put it back into the tire when we got to Batopilas.

Tury arranged to have overnight delivery to Batopilas of a spare rear tube from the Honda shop in Chihuahua. He can arrange ANYTHING.

Including the price of the tube the cost was about US$20.

To be continued at the appropriate time.
  4. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the progression of expressions from inspiration to consternation to frustration!:lol3

We were glad when you finally rolled in.

Sisoguchi is getting a new highway. It doesn't quite reach to town yet, but will soon.
  5. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And later on it will head to Carichi, but there are other alternative routes :deal ( caminos de tierra.....dirt roads ) to get to Creel, I mentioned it to Charlie, takes more time, much more fun, better views less polvo, even at this dry season.

I miss :cry those evenings having :freaky XX to sooth the throats full of polvo and those mornings with the true aroma of real coffee that invaded the whole Juanitas hotel.
  6. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    At least we waited until the second day in the dirt for everything to go off the rails.
  7. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a report??
  8. rickcorwn

rickcorwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    Geez, I almost forgot. At this point in last years trip http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555454&highlight=hate+mexico I was sicker than a dog. I suspect that it could have come from the last meal or maybe even the water from Presidio. So this year I was extra cautious and started the bottled water and well cooked foods before even crossing the border. I don't know if this really helped but no Montazumas revenge this year :clap:clap This was part of the Mexican experience I was glad to miss out on this year.
  12. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    I guess every one else is napping?? We want to go to Batopilas but Daggy and Owwmyeye have already been there. They're easily convinced that a couple more days is Bato is a good thing so they're IN. Well we leave Creel headed for Batopilas so we've got a bunch of pavement before we reach the canyon and head down on the dirt. The good news is the road south out of Creel is a Hoot!

Powerhouse kick'n it on the pavement.
    [​IMG]

Fugarwe doing his Superbike impression on the KLR.
    [​IMG]

All green bikes stop here.
    [​IMG]

Daggy and Owwmyeye.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention that this road is fun and scenic.
    [​IMG]

We finally reach the overlook.
    [​IMG]

Daggy complete with silk scarf.
    [​IMG]

Me gazing off into the distance thankful I'm not sick this year :lol3
    [​IMG]

Trucks of the day, suddenly there's a traffic jam :huh
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the trucks clear we begin to wind our way down the canyon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's not trucks it's livestock :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Owwmyeye's helmet cam into the canyon :eek1
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pPopUFRRjYs?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="390"></iframe>

I get tot he bottom of the canyon and find Owwmyeye but where's Daggy?
    [​IMG]

Cooling his dawgs in the river.
    [​IMG]

On down toward La Bufa.
    [​IMG]

We finally roll into Bato!
    [​IMG]

Juanita's! :clap
    [​IMG]

Bikes secured in the courtyard.
    [​IMG]

Once we get here it's kinda hot. I don't want to complain but we're a bunch of northerners and our blood has gotten pretty thick from all those sub zero days back home. The kids here in town have the right idea.
    [​IMG]

Powerhouse, Ian and fugarwe hangn' at Juanita's.
    [​IMG]

Now we're not only a little hot but we're feeling a little thirsty too. Well we've got a cure for that!
    [​IMG]

So we're off to the Cowboy Bar to sit in the shade and quench our thirst.
    [​IMG]

After all that thirst quenching we've worked up an appetite so it's off to Carolina's for dinner.
    [​IMG]

We finish off the night on the penthouse patio at Juanita's sipping cool beverages and enjoying the night air.

Perfect, just perfect! :jkam
  13. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere around 10 miles after we turn off of the main highway the pavement ends.
  14. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    We were on the Hiway out of Creel. Having fun running through the twistys when Powerhouse pulled off to the side of the road, into a gravel parking area. He told me that we were coming into a scenic area & not to worry about keeping up. Take all the time I wanted to stop take pictures enjoy the surroundings. For the next few miles we hop scotched each other. He was right, the scenery was incredible.

Pretty soon we are at the Overlook. Looking down to what appeared to be a small trail & creek at the bottom.

Daggy said, "That's where we're going"

[​IMG]

The rest of the ride into Batopilas was amazing! At the Cowboy bar that evening, I told the group that I didn't know what they had planned for the rest of our trip but, the ride down the canyon into Batopilas was going to be hard to beat. I think they took that as a challenge.

Hanging in Bato was relaxing.

[​IMG]
  15. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    Looks like you had way more traffic in the canyon than we did. The only slow moving vehicle I had to contend with was a Beemer ridden by some old guy high on Viagara. :wink:
  16. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The hummingbird on Juanita's sign is very appropriate as there were many hummingbirds and orioles visiting the blooms in the courtyard and trees. If I had my pictures on this computer I could share a nice oriole shot. Oh well, this will have to do in the mean time:
    :robin

The folks across the canyon are probably still talking about the Alien space ship beams after John showed off his flashlight from the roof top patio :augie
  17. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    I just looked at your pics Powerhouse. Here is a couple of the Oriole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed you even got one of the *#@!ing Rooster, but not of any G' Damn Gnaats!

[​IMG]
  18. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    Hanging at Juanita's was sooo relaxing. I was still in awe with the ride down the canyon into Bato. I'm sure I was having the BEST time 'cause everything was a 1st for me....every view, around every corner, I didn't know what to expect. Nobody was in a hurry & all were content with chillin on the patio, puttering around with the bikes, small talk etc.

We got out the "Coffee Table" to make fresh coffee in the mornings

[​IMG]

While the coffee was brewing, some took care of a little hygene & some clearing of the mind

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arturo gets a new tankbag

[​IMG]

Pretty soon we go to breakfast, do some shopping, & walking around town.

Last year the guys needed a little help from the local Mechanic. We stop by to say HI & to thank him. He's got a box full of drill bits Bob offers to sharpen!

Notice the stone....

[​IMG]

Stay tuned....more to come! Even some guys with "real" tire tools:clap
  19. bttran

bttran Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in!
  20. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    The morning after we arrived in Batopilas I decided to replace the front tube that was in my rear tire with the professionally repaired UHD Michelin tube.

Bob gave me a hand and we found some adobe bricks to use as a center stand. It's a lot easier when the bike is vertical.

[​IMG]

I got out my aluminum wrench/lever tools and then Tury came up with a pair of the Motion Pro tools, a big lever and a pair of plastic rim protectors. If you are going to buy the aluminum tools, buy the Motion Pros. They worked much better than the one's I bought at the BMW rally.

[​IMG]

Notice that there is only one rim protector.

We got the tube installed and the wheel back on and were putting tools away when Tury asked me for the other rim protector. A thorough search turned up nothing. Hmmm. Where do you suppose it is.

The bike was still on the workstand so I opened the tire up without removing the wheel. Sure enough we found the rim protector.

I think I'll stick with the leather strips as rim protectors. They don't seem to fall into the tire.