Yo Sobrevivi el Camino a Batopilas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickcorwn, Mar 26, 2011.

1. yamafitter

yamafitter Old Cranky Guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not Toronto therefore off the edge of the world
    This reminded me of our trip to Copper Canyon last November. We had crossed on the ferry and stayed two lights at the Huites Lake Lodge on the south side of the lake. The lodge is a beautiful location by the way plus the staff brought us out a tray of margaritas as we rolled in.

When we left the lodge two days later we came across the locals doing some 'part sourcing' from a truck we had just come across the day before abondoned on the side of the road on the way into Choix.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pg_mmxQBoiw?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. rickcorwn

rickcorwn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the morning a few folks are in a bit of a rush to get going. Fugarwe, Sleddod and Ian get packed and head for Chihuahua City. I think they were interested in the Poncho Villa Museum and had some souvenir shopping to do. The rest of us aren't in a big rush so we head for breakfast. Not long after we get back to the hotel a truck wheels in and a guy gets out yaking away in Spanish way faster than any of us can decipher, Tury is called into interpret. What he's telling us is that there's a moto rider down on the highway! Tury and Powerhouse jump in the truck with the guy and take off. Cwc who wasn't within earshot of what was happening gets the few details we have and jumps on his bike to go see what's up, remember fugarwe is his son. They arrive to find Sleddog on the side of the road in the midst of a tire change. He had a sudden flat front and went down, luckily on a straight section of road. Not so luckily the road is a paved one so the speeds were up there a bit. He was the last of the trio so fugarwe and Ian didn't notice right away that he was missing. By the time they got back to him he already had the bike off the road and the front wheel off. He's basically OK just a little bit of rash on his forearm. Ian and fugarwe take over the tire repair duty and about then is when Tury and Powerhouse show up soon followed by cwc.

Tire repair in progress.
    [​IMG]

Dr. Tury and first responder fugarwe tend to Sleddogs wound.
    [​IMG]

Sleddog's jacket.
    [​IMG]

Once Sleddog's bike is all back together he, Ian and fugarwe continue towards Chihuahua City and Tury, Powerhouse and cwc return to Creel. Bob and I back at the hotel are relived to find out the accident was a minor one and everyone is basically good to go. So that's what we do too, go. Cwc, Tury and Bob intend to take the same route back as we did on the way in, to peel off on the dirt and cut over to Carichic. Powerhouse and myself are in a little more of a rush so we take the paved road all the way back. Looking back now I kind of regret this I miss the back roads of Mexico :cry

Cwc and Tury on the last bit of dirt.
    [​IMG]

Finding your way around Mexico is easy there are signs everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Once back in the big city the Maria Delores is almost full so Ian and fugarwe find a room at the Hotel Posada Tierra Blanca. I don't know how they pulled it off because the Federal Police had moved in and made it their personal little resort.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of us have some shopping to do for souvenirs so we're off to the shops. Ian scores some very cool jewelry from some artisans on the street.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fugarwe finds some food? Nope not gonna eat Yaki-Balls :huh
    [​IMG]

With our shopping complete, well except for me I never did find the blanket I was looking for, we meet Tury for dinner. Afterwords we're hanging around the hotel having a last couple of cervezas. Then Tury opens his trunk and has a liter of Cabrito for each of us! Yummy! We thank Tury for being a wonderful traveling companion and say our good byes.

We're up early the next morning because the earlier we get going the earlier we get back to the RV and get loaded the earlier we get home. But in the midst of packing Sleddog discovers he's got a flat front tire. The good news obviously is that he's not skipping down the pavement this time.
    [​IMG]

We head out in a couple of groups stopping in Coyame for gas and a snack. Once we leave there Powerhouse takes off from the group and leads the way. I'm thinking what go up his ass?? About then we hit the military check point and of course Powerhouse is first there. We wait in line for him to get inspected. Once off the bike and the saddle bags are open Powerhouse pulls out his ace in the hole. A copy of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition :wink: The eyes of the soldiers light up as Powerhouse hands it over to the young dudes. Suddenly he's a real popular guy they even pose for pictures. The rest of us get waved through.
    [​IMG]

Powerhouse "you guys can thank me later." Is this a great country or what?
    [​IMG]

We work our way through final paper work and money exchange only to wait in a long line to cross the border. We head to a small cafe in Presidio and look there's a welcoming committee! The Glaves and company have come to welcome us back to the good old US of A.
    [​IMG]

Now don't get me wrong the food in Mexico is always great but they don't have some of the foods we have come to know and love. Like a bacon cheese burger and fries!
    [​IMG]

After we eat, we load and hit the road. Unfortunately it comes to a steaming halt about 30 miles up the road. The operative word here is "up" it's a climb from Presidio to Marfa and the RV as it turns out was low on coolant. Not a big problem, after it cools some we can get some anti-freeze back in it and we're on our way. Non stop all the way back to Minnesota.
    [​IMG]

Another great trip to Mexico is in the books :deal I can't believe people are afraid to come down here this is such a great country.
  3. Streeter

Streeter Has Coping Skills

Oddometer:
    Sleddog, how do you like your modified KLR fairing?

Paul Streeter
  4. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I needed something to get rid of the buffeting at hiway speeds, the mod made a huge improvement.

Sleddog
  5. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Frozen Rider

Oddometer:
    Great report! thanks for posting.
    Where do you get decent maps [paper and gps] for the area?
  6. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the report ., Thanks for sharing
    Did y'll felt safer when the federales moved into the hotel?:lol3
  7. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    Very cool RR, I really enjoyed reading it :deal:clap
  8. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    Cwc is the map expert I would expect he'd be along soon or you could PM him.
  9. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    For general road use I like the Guia Roji or the Quimera road atlases. Both are available from Amazon or in Mexico or other web resources. Check around, prices vary widely for the exact same thing.

For unpaved roads there really aren't good paper maps. I use the E32 maps for my GPS, but they don't route. Bicimapas will route , but aren't as good on the unpaved roads. Neither are extremely accurate on unpaved roads.

I have made some maps for Garmin GPS's that don't route, but are pretty accurate. Unfortunately they cover only the Copper Canyon general area and some over in NL,Tam. and SLP states.

Pathfinding is part of the adventure.:evil
  10. Tury

Tury Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I congratulate myself for riding with such good riding companions:clap,one of my best riding experiences, having :freakyXX before sundown, the only 2 black dots on the rice were the D...Gnats and the Mucho Polvo, Happily Jack just gave us a huge fright.:eek1 The person with the hat on the site of the accident, is Mr. Caro the owner of the hotel Los Pinos who gave us the ride.

Yes Charlie is right; roads at La Sierra are every where, indications very understanding, the signs have gunshot holes so that the wind doesn´t turn them down!

Rick,excelent tread !!
  11. SanSergio

SanSergio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent Ride Report, I really like the maps and elevation graphs. I've referenced your maps to track where we rode just weeks after you were there.... Your routes have also given me ideas for my next trip out to the canyons. Thanks for the time spent sharing your experience!!! Hope to run into you on a future trip.
  12. whyknotboats

whyknotboats CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer:
    ARTURO!! Now Im really Pissed off. You left me behind!! Ken from Minneapolis. Why oh Why? You look good all trimmed up and off that r 1200 gs. Great decision. Take care amigo and next time , don;t leave me behind:deal
  13. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Señor, my hat is off to you.

Arte
  14. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    I need to chime in here one more time before this fades off to the 10th page. First off I need to apologize for not putting photo credits on the pictures. I know it's not a big deal for some but I should know better, time restraints got the better of me. The photos were from everyone except cwc but he does the maps and graphs.

Next I need to thank cwc and fugarwe for being great tour guides and letting us tag along. They've been to the canyons several times and it is their knowledge that makes it possible for a gringo like me to experience a trip like this.

Also Tury, our Mexican host, master of the canyons and the smartest guy in the group, he brought coffee :*sip*

Thank You!

[​IMG]
  15. Cruzin

Cruzin Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Great RR Rick & Crew :clap
  16. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    A message I got from Ian updating the progress of Adaneli;

17. Spikehead

Spikehead Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Ouch. :kurt

What boots were you wearing, Rick?

18. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Tarahumara adventure footwear.
  19. rickcorwn

Oddometer:
    No not native, CBTs. I think I banged it on a foot peg :huh
  20. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report guys:clap:clap:clap You can't go hardly go wrong hanging out with Tury and Charlie in the canyons:deal Looks like another fine trip other than the few getoffs. I've been wanting to get back in the area and I finally hit that hotspring.