Yo Sobrevivi el Camino a Batopilas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rickcorwn, Mar 26, 2011.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Howzit going with Adaneli up north? Any news?
  2. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last I heard, weeks ago, was that they were still working out visa issues.
  3. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just saw her down there a couple weeks ago, very touching story, hope this gets worked out. Have you ever shaken hands with her? Just about crushed my bones, strong girl!
  4. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the girl in the pictures below are the same girl. She has shown me around the cathedral two or three times over the years. These were taken by me in 2005. She always struck me as a bright kid. Any news on her current situation?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    There have been visa problems. Apparently the Canadians are a picky as we are about these things.

Tury told me the other day that he found another avenue to pursue it so maybe something will happen. I sure hope it doesn't fizzle.
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the most interesting stories in Ride Reports :deal
  7. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I just got a note from Ian. He's hoping everything will be worked out & she'll be able to start school in Toronto in Sept.He indicated It's been extreamly difficult as she didn't have any paperwork or documentation to start with.

We're going back down in March. Hopefully I'll get another Hug from her!

Sleddog
  8. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does Marlene know about that?:rofl
  9. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    It was a Lutheran Hug:evil
  10. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the girl from Satevó ever made it to Canada to go to school?
  11. fugarwe

fugarwe Usual Suspect

Oddometer:
    No, Adenele is still in Satevo. Amazingly, Canada had a paperwork matrix that was unsurmountable. They required copies of the title to her father's land, and an inventory of his holdings. Uh-huh. I've been at their table, and there is no land, or inventory. Ian put a lot of time, money, and effort but the government made it impossible.

There is another adventurer from Texas, a lawyer, who is working on it now. He has consulted an immigration lawyer, who may have a way. We shall see. I have been agitating those with the means to get this done.
  12. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Ok it's been 2 years since anyone posted to this great thread. Has Adenele made it to Canada yet? El Norte has changed so much in the last 2 years (I mean 2 months).

I wanted to thank you for the excellent maps you posted with routes. I'll be in Copper for my first time in about a month and it really helps me solidify what routes are possible. I know things have changed a lot in 6 years but it still really helps. THANK YOU ! :clap :clap :clap
  13. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snooker of X-Challenge web site fame? Cool! Have fun down there. Reports are that the road to Batopilas is entirely paved now but plagued with fallen rocks.
  14. Sleddog

Oddometer:
    We spent a couple days in Batopilas in November. The road is paved now. Although like Powerhouse mentioned, lots of debris & potholes.
    We rode over to Satevo to visit the Mission & hopes of seeing Andenele. She was there & said she's doing well. Her meds are working & she's working in the local school.

The maps are now routable & available on OSM (open street maps) & able to be downloaded to your gps.

Enjoy your trip.
  15. snooker

Oddometer:
    I'll be there in about a month and the thing is I'm solo so trying to avoid any getoffs at all. Haven't read many other RR's (yet) but all the YouTube vids I could find. Thanks largely to this thread, my route from the west side (ferry from Baja, starting in Choix: Is to not go straight to Batopilas (via El Rodeo) but to go to Urique first via the main road Cieneguita (turning to Urique before Cerocahui). I'm trying to install the map from Charlie (cwc) now.

I'd like to know if anyone knows if the bridge at Urique to cross to get to Batopilas is intact currently?
    This stretch will be the only difficult part (Urique to Bato) and if I don't find anyone to go with while in the area (doubtful) and decide against this route then I'll have to get to Bato the ultra long but easy way (back up the hill from Urique to Creel and hwy turning at Samachique - aka "the road to Batopilas" as referred to by above, recently paved but torn up).

So right now I'm researching the Urique to Batopilas road. Hopefully the bridge at Urique is intact then its up some challenging baby head steep switchbacks and finally down to the Batopilas river with a concrete vado to cross (I've seen mostly shallow videos and one deeper one, but it is probably ok) then on in to Bato. I read some ride times for this 46 miles are from 3 to 7 hours (big random group). The best YouTube I found are these 2 with great commentary from Good-ADV Company, going East to West direction (Bato to Urique) here: LINKY1 and LINKY2.
    In it he even mentions "KLR or 990 no problem if experienced (I am)" but GS you will drop it a few times. I'm sure I could make it but again, solo I need to do risk management, it IS REMOTE and not that well traveled even for this region.

Any recent input on Urique to Batopilas??? :ear
  16. snooker

Oddometer:
    I'll ask on a more active thread.