Yooper / Upper Michingan Options

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by prof-fate, Dec 29, 2012.

1. prof-fate

prof-fate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip to Michigan in July ---a few days in Traverse City. By necessity, forced to take a 4-wheel vehicle.....However, I have the option of driving up (from Chicago) in my pkup truck, which gives me the op of taking my XT250 with me. From there I want to bike the U-P for a week.

Question is: What is/are the suggested approach from Traverse City?

-I could leave the truck behind in TC and circle back ---expect to take 5 days meandering the U-P on the bike....but that means a fair amt of backtracking.

-I could truck it by night and day ride;That seems like a lot of hassle every day, loading, unloading, etc, but would let me have all mt gear with me at the start and end of every day.

- I could truck the bike somewhere up to a central spot in the U-P and bike out and back to that point (motel) each night.
    Eliminates the loading/unloading, but means that I can only go so far each day, knowing that I have to get back to start/motel.

Sending the truck back (to Chicago from TC) with someone else isn't an option, so eventually, I'll be trucking the bike back home---prob down through WI, with a short trip into Door Cnty

Is there some option I haven't considered?

jm
  2. prof-fate

prof-fate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah --thought about that ---would allow for a few more bike miles but still leave an 8 hour drive with the truck back from Traverse....not horrendous, but the Badger crossing is the weak link---it may not be operating. EPA continues to STICK it to them, and the latest court ruling says NO MORE. Unless they can successfully appeal, they have to convert the ship to some other fuel, and that would kill the 2013 season.
    m
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Try riding a loop of the UPAT.

You will be pleased.

[​IMG]

I have a ton of other tracks in the UP if you are interested in making day trips out of a static location.

Ludington ferry hasn't been granted a new permit to run yet. Likely to happen, but maybe not.

WMAT is another option.

[​IMG]

You might also be pleased with the NWAT.

[​IMG]

You mentioned an interest in Door County. Here is some info on that as well.

[​IMG]
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    If ya' need a spot to leave your truck for a few days in 'da UP, send me an email.

I have room at my house in Marquette to park your truck, or I also have a cabin in the Curtis area....you could park your truck there for a few days as well.

Tons and tons of great riding in the area.
  5. prof-fate

prof-fate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn nice of you to offer---either loc would be a great launch point. Thanks. Will PM.
    Finally figured out what search terms to use and found a bunch of your posts/threads and the C-shot rides. REALLY good stuff ----combing through them for the next week or 3. Leaning towards leaving the truck somewhere in the UP and biking out from there for a few days. Then down to Door Cnty. Rinse, Repeat.

john m
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    When you get closer to developing your specific plans, I can get you sighted in on a couple of nice day rides in the UP.

There are a few you might really like.

The first one in this thread is a great ride. (Norden, Trenary, Rapid River)

I've got some nice loops closer to Crystal Falls that would be entertaining as well.

You can always stop and ride some ORV trails proximate to your route of march like Forest Islands, Norway, and a few others that are further east. You can get a good look at the possibilities for that by checking this excellent on-line trail guide.
  7. Bonebag

Bonebag ADDvrider

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin..Hot,Cold and everything in Between
    Your kinda out of luck with the whole up thing...:lol3:rofl

Cannon's tracks through here are the best!!!!!!:deal:freaky
  8. prof-fate

prof-fate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HOLY @#%.
    Does the Michigan bureau of Tourism know about you guys???.....for my (:evilgreedy) sake, I hope not...or you'll have cars and bikes lined up border to border. NICE pix and routes. I'm dumping my plan --5 days won't be enough. Think 8-10 days now. Be in touch.
    john
  9. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot's routes are excellent, and the UP rocks! Be prepared for a BUNCH of sand! The XT would be a great bike to tour around on.
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    If I had to pick one option, I'd go for the UPAT. It is a pretty comprehensive tour of the UP and a nice achievement to complete it.

One of the nice things about it is that there are a lot of interesting points of interest along the way.

You won't be disappointed. Each time I ride it, I want to just keep going and ride it again.

Plan for six days for a comfortable ride that takes things in. Good to base out of Gwinn and head SE toward St Ignace on the first day.