Yooperbikemike's 2021 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 24, 2020.

1. david61

david61 Queue, a word with 4 silent letters....

Oddometer:
    Not a bad year for Yamaha either. If Fabio wins that's Motogp, likely Wsbk too and a few others besides.

Honda will be quietly seething, no love lost between them, I'd expect them to come out swinging hard the next few years.
    twotyred likes this.
  2. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sat in The Moose bar, in Paris, watching the GP with Codewife

20211024_140844.jpg
    spacely, Scoozi, twotyred and 6 others like this.
  3. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats to Quartararo, a worthy champion, and a man who always dresses for the occasion.
    RiderGary, browniez, stokerel and 2 others like this.
  4. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas... Supporter

Oddometer:
    "There are currently 6 manufacturers in MotoGP. Do you really think Dorna would give a fuck if Honda left?"

Yes I do, Honda is the biggest Motorcycle Manufacturer in the World, if they leave the Sponsors Dry up, If you don't think that Money runs MotoGp you are kidding yourself.
  5. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    The combined sales of Piaggio, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki, and Yamaha are larger than Honda. MotoGP can afford to lose Honda. And MotoGP is so popular that Honda can't afford to lose MotoGP. Which is why they are paying Marc Marquez €25 million a season.
    GsGrins, Bigger Al, JHof44 and 7 others like this.
  6. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
  7. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    If history teaches us anything, no one and no company are indispensable.
    RedRocket likes this.
  8. Kropotkin

Kropotkin Big Girl's Blouse Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was a time when Honda was indispensable to Grand Prix racing, the 90s and 00s. But precisely because of Honda's strength, and their imposing rules which ended up forcing factories out and reducing the grid to just 17 bikes, Dorna and Carmelo Ezpeleta introduced the CRT class, which morphed and transmogrified along the way into the class we have now: spec electronics, spec tires, and a full grid.

If anything, MotoGP is more dependent on Ducati now than Honda. But Ducati make too much money from their satellite teams to pull out.
    Bigger Al, RiderGary, Scoozi and 3 others like this.
  9. twotyred

twotyred Practising Recedivist

Oddometer:
  10. azkiwi

azkiwi message in a bottle

Oddometer:
    VR46 won't hurt the bottom line either. Wasn't there talk of adding more brands?
  11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yup.

He did the business.
  12. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    I think Quartararo has finished every race this year? He MIGHT have the consistency to challenge Marquez next year—I sure hope so. But his bad days need to be a little closer to the podium.

None of the other riders seem able to mount any kind of consistent challenge. Heck, last year a healthy MM probably would have sewn up the title half-way through the season. Maybe some of the new blood can bring it at every track next year and stay off the floor. I actually think a slightly mellowed and mortal MM will be an even greater threat—he’s less likely to beat himself.

Happy to see Rossi leaving on his own terms. I know it’s commonly said that he waited too long, but even last year he had some very competitive rides before Covid. Yes, he hit the gravel, but he still ran fast. I doubt anyone connected to the circus would begrudge him the grid slot he has this year. Every single one of them makes more $$ than they would have otherwise because of what Rossi brought to the series.
    silsen, Mr Head, Bigger Al and 5 others like this.
  13. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
  15. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    “Remember Fabio, that’s my bike you’re riding, not Mav’s.”
  16. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    "Hey kid, send me a resume."
  17. tomo8r

tomo8r PEACE! BREAD! LAND!

Oddometer:
    I'm flabbergasted.

I used to respect you ...
    BergDonk and Kropotkin like this.
  18. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this 205? Just saw that Lecuona and Vierge are next years WSBK Honda team.

The Spanish duo will both step across from the MotoGP™ paddock to form a brand-new line-up for the factory Honda outfit

Team HRC have become the latest, and last, MOTUL FIM Superbike World Championship factory team to confirm their 2022 line-up with Iker Lecuona and Xavi Vierge moving across from MotoGP™ and Moto2™ respectively. The all-Spanish, all-rookie line-up will bring a new look for the iconic Japanese manufacturer with both riders confirmed for 2022, with Alvaro Bautista switching back to Ducati in WorldSBK for 2022, whilst Leon Haslam’s future is yet to be confirmed.
  19. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    I would have liked to see Iker stick around MotoGP and get a shot on a different bike.
    Closed Casket and blammo like this.
  20. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a theory that is probably half baked and easily disproven. It is that riders have a map that minimises electronic aids but it is a massive gamble as your talent can run out quite quickly. Iker may have taken this gamble on Sunday (Saturday too) and stood out for a few laps until he couldn't beat the system. For the conspiracy theorists maybe it is the gamble MM took when he made those meteor like rockets through the field after a tumble and also when he'd suddenly pull out a few seconds lead over a few laps then stabilise. His ability allowed him to save it many more times than most but he too got caught out, eventually. What say the knowledgeable?

But I wish Iker all the best in WSBK, maybe he'll change Honda's fortunes there. Bautista must have a good agent to leave Ducati, not do too much at Honda, then return to Ducati.