Yooperfest!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Askel, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Getting this out there now. Mark your calendars: July 27-30.

Base location: Big Lake State Campground near L'Anse, MI:

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.aspx?id=641

It's a nice quiet campground on a good lake for swimming. Plus Daphne can get the Flying Oasis in there for some serious food prep potential. The location also puts you within a day's ride of pretty much anything in the western upper peninsula and is right next to the Baraga Plains ORV Trail:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_15070-38330--,00.html

Expect a freeform, chaingolian style atmosphere. We'll have lots of maps and suggestions for riding when you get there. I'll have the TTR-250 at the campground and my FZ1 isn't far away.

Bring something with cupholders to float on in the lake and whatever else you need to camp comfortably. Supplies and restaurants are a good 10 miles away or so, but we'll have the Jeep handy for supply runs. We'll probably end up coordinating some big group breakfasts and dinners anyway.

No RSVP necessary, but if you do so by 7/22 with the number of people in your group, we'll grab a tent space for you early in the day of your planned arrival. We'll probably be getting a keg from the Keweenaw Brewing Company as well- # of beer drinkers will help us decide between a quarter, half, or multiple:eek1 barrels.
  2. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    It's been pointed out this this date is in conflict with a couple of already planned events. This is kind of the last free weekend I have left this summer.

I'd give the other events on this date higher priority, but if you want to kick back and relax with us- we'll be at Big Lake at the end of July if you want to join us.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would love to be there James, but already heading for the Six Days. Next year we'll do a little coordination between the ride sponsors early in the year so we can pick the dates to maximize our opportunties to ride. I would love to make this one . . . floating around that sandy lake soaking off the trail dust while sipping on a KBC beer . . . I know it is going to be great!

(Putting those potential route maps in the mail tomorrow.)
  4. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I'd love to go too, but like Bryan I already made plans, Heck I even have backup plans if the first set of plans disolved. If you figure out any more open weekends for riding, I'd be interested.
  5. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    What is it with the rides in the UP and me not being able to go? I say we give it to Canada, that way I wouldn't feel so bad. :evil
  6. Sludge

Sludge Waiting for the snow

Oddometer:
    Da Yoopers be performing?
  7. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
  8. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

We're not part of Canada now? :scratch

:lol3
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  10. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear :freaky
  11. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    I'd love ta come up for 'da day, but my sister is gittin' married, and I gotta head over ta Newberry for 'da weekend! :waysad
  12. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    I think we're still on for next weekend. But plans are diverging to non-motorcycle activities. If you're planning on coming up, might want to RSVP so we can keep you in the loop on the plans and make some time for riding.

Somehow I think I got conned in to running a 4.6 mile fun run next weekend. :eek1

At least it ends at a bar. :clap
  13. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:
    Ugghhh.... It was a heck of a party. Just not ours. :bluduh

We had a bit of a rough start. We didn't manage to clear out of work until 3pm yesterday. We made it to the campground but found our favorite spot occupied. And the water temp was a not so refreshing high eighties. Then we got lots of rain and some good sized hail.

And it just went downhill from there.

Turns out a large portion of the Covington Softball Tournament players are staying there this weekend. And they brought their beer, stereo, and generator to power it. And we were right next door.

I was doin' fine until about 3am when their generator seized. No problem- they had a backup- CLANGZOR THE GENERATOR FROM HELL. I swear it was going to send a con rod through my tent at any moment.

So I packed up and booked it home. Ahhh... AC and a dry bed.

On my way out I saw a KTM at one of the sites- anybody from here? :ear I didn't see a car parked near by. You must have a hell of a story from riding through that weather yesterday.

Shortest. ADVrider. Event. Ever. :D
  14. MNwilly

MNwilly RIP, my friend...

Oddometer:
    Isn't 80 boiling temp in Da UP?:ear

Softball players tend to be drunken assholes.
  15. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Tough break, I campgrounds!
  16. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    just got back where was everyone?
  17. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

Cooking the last of the camping food on Daphne's deck while joking about the events of last night.

Still haven't killed my 30 pack of red dog yet.

:freaky
  18. sndmn2

sndmn2 n00b

Oddometer:

That was me and my son. We rolled in just as the rain started. I think we got there around 9:45.That dark cloud chased us all the way in. We were just about to set up camp in the parking lot but decided to push on.I don"t know how I missed you guys. I walked around the campsite aking if anyone in thier group went by the name of Askel or if they had seen any other bikers. You are right about that realy considerate S.O.B. playing his music until 4:30 in the A.M. We had put a full day of rideing in and were ready for a good nights sleep. We rode the Keewenaw and then came streight down to the campsight. Oh well,it just adds to the adventure.
  19. Askel

Askel Perma-n00b

Oddometer:

We were all stealth like and left the bikes about 25 miles north at my house. Made my 3am exit that much easier. We were right across from the outhouses and next to the guy with the stereo. (No, I didn't pick the site.)

Bummer we didn't get to meet up. If you want to go riding in the keweenaw again some time, you're welcome to crash at my place. It's usually pretty quiet. I don't think I'll be trying an organized ride at Big Lake again.

Fun yooperfest factoid: About 75% of the people in the campground drove to the outhouses, even though they were no further than 150 yards away. :huh