Yoreka!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vegasphotog, Jul 2, 2006.

1. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    Had to get out and enjoy the day like many of you....headed out the Glenn and passed AK Hal as he was incoming from Tok...we had a quick photo session...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then, I was on a mission to head down the road called Alaskacom or something like that on the right side of the road which has access to some fishiing lakes but mostly it looked like a really long fire road...I went down the trail but the road bridge had washed out.

Then, I had lunch up at the Eureka Lodge and headed back and turned up this road I went snowmachining this past winter. Bellinger Pass. Anyhoo, I saw some four-wheelers and asked them what the trail conditions were like and they said "good" but looked in disbelief that my wee was manly enough for the ride. Some mud bogs initially...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some crossing that require momentum and loose grabs of the bars...

[​IMG]

Almost there...

[​IMG]

Ain't Alaska fng great???!!!

[​IMG]
  2. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    BUELLTIFULL!!!!

TR:huh
  3. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    And not even a phone call! :jerko
  4. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    He was too busy yelling at me out of his truck window!

August before last I took a ride into the hills around Eureka-the goal was Monument, but I didn't quite get there. I got this far before the threatening black clouds made me back off, as the dirt turns to a very nasty slickery goo as soon as it gets wet. The path I took was left at the gravel pit and straight back, not too bad except for one very long and steep hill that didn't register in my mind as long and steep until I was about 3/4 up it...and then it occured to me that "wow, this hill keeps going on and on and on and i have to go back down it :eek1 on the way back!"

Attached Files:

5. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Great photo....yea, I wanna head back up there in August after things dry out a bit...maybe you would volunteer as the tour guide???:wink:
  6. KL5A

Oddometer:
    If we get enough riders riding back down that hill, I think you'll get some realllyyy fun photos..... :lol3

I wonder what the trail behind the lodge would be like. It wasn't as steep, as least as far as I can remember, it's been a few years since I went on a sled ride up at Eureka. Remind me to tell you about the wierd shit in the sky a fella sees while spending the night stuck on a sled out by the repeater. :norton
  7. KL5A

Oddometer:
    It was a fun trip, even given the pucker. If it will just friggin dry out a bit....:dog

Attached Files:

8. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Photog, glad you told me about this thread. Looks like something I would like to do.......great pics!!:clap If you wanna wonder around up there some Sunday, let me know.:nod

I spent the winter of '85/'86 at Gunsight Lodge, 5 miles south of Eureka. There was no snow in the Valley that winter and there was a shit load of us up there training for the '86 Iditarod. Got to know the trails pretty well. Ok that was 20 years ago and I got CRS.:roflGuess I need my GPS to get around.:D Sure would like to visit that country in the summer though.
  9. KL5A

Oddometer:

I may not be the best tour guide....I missed the trail one time and ended up spending the night on the back side of the little hill the repeater sits on, saw some wierd shit in the sky.

I wonder what the trail that starts behin Eureka lodge is like in the summer? Probably torn up by 4 wheelers. If it's in any kind of reasonable shape I do think Monument is attainable. :deal
  10. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Another interesting trip might be Purinton creek. I know there's a couple of wicked mudholes but the scenery back there is sublime. I have seen a Suburban back in there, course it was chained up, all four!
  11. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    Gonna head back to this location again tomorrow, saturday and gps my tracks. It sounds like AKTROY is jonesing to get a skip on..so, anticipate he and I riding out in the late morning. Anyone else that wants to join in we can meet at the gas station at King Mountain as I want to stop by and visit at the Last Frontier shindig happening there at the campground.

[snort]
  12. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    12:30pm at King Mountain...don't let a little drizzle-snizzle scare you off.
  13. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey.....I had to work. LFMC has a campout at King mtn Lodge. Stop by and say "Hi".:evil
  14. vegasphotog

Oddometer:
    We did...only about 4 people showed up for their rally...we got sidetracked and just did Chickaloon Hills and Bonnie Lake.

CYA on the next go around....:D