Yosemite NP Campsites

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by jschnitz, Jun 5, 2003.

1. jschnitz

jschnitz Freeway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Are there any tricks to get some campsites in or around Yosemite NP?

The ones in teh valley you need reservations for. Non-available.. Is there a good day to catch all the cancelations?

They say there are other sites in Yosemite as well that are first-come-first served... What are my chances of getting one of these on a saturday afternoon? Can you recommend any?

Is there a spot outside yosemite that is good? I dont mind if it is up 395 a bit or on the other side... Recomendations?

I just need to get away this weekend... :ear

Thanks!
  2. idjut

idjut Registered Pongid

Oddometer:
    National Parks are run by Dept. of Interior. National Forests, on the other hand, are run by Dept. of Agriculture. Frequently in a National Forest you can camp anywhere you want and the local National Forest office will direct you to suitable locations. If there is National Forest land adjacent to the National Park (there usually is), check with the local Forest Service office.
  3. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camping inside the valley in the summer is a zoo. I wouldnt recomend it. As for waiting for campsites, you can do it, but I would recomend taking 120 up and trying your luck up in Touolomne. Its cooler, quieter, and the camping is more spread out.

Camp sites in Toulomne are the last to fill up, and even if they do, i have seen people sacked out at the base of Lembert dome. Not a big deal.

Have fun. If you feel like trekking it all the way over to Lee Vining, keep a lookout for me. Blue&White GS.

nk
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the Valley, your best bet for CAMPING OUT is to try Camp IV (aka Sunnyside) or the backpacker's camp behind the stables. You have to pay for both, both are walk-in, and both have only the very best calibre of people staying there - you'll make friends!

You can park at the Lodge, and sleep out in the meadows, but be stealthy about it, okay? Don't throw your bag out until 11:00 and stay out of the open, rangers come through at 2:30 with flashlights sweeping the grass...

Way too many spots on 120 to pull over and sleep in the trees, but again, be stealthy.

Tuolumne Meadows also has a walk-in backpacker's camp, but they also have huge group camps you might be able to sneak into, share a beer, etc.

Further up 120, out of the park, you're back in the Forest, and it's easy to sleep on the side of the road once you're outside of the park. Look for the pull outs and old tioga road traces, they make good sleeping spots if you're pulling in after dark and leaving early.

Of course, if you're looking for a soft bed and a shower, you're SOL.
  5. jschnitz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replys... I am definatly going to use some of the ideas in the future...

I ended up staying at a hostel up there called.

Yosemite Bug.

It was fun. Lots of people and cheap beer on tap...

It was great to ride though the park. I should have made it a 3 day weekend instead of just the 2 days I did. I did not get a lot of time for sightseeing but it was a good escape from the crap week I was having...

Thanks again!
  6. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jason,

were you the guy i met on the blue GS with the broken headlight in Lee Vining?

I passed through there after my Ghost town trip. I rolled through at about 6am and saw people sacked out all over the park. (Tuolomne mostly) Even some up by Lembert Dome.

Hope you had a great time. Have any pics?

nk
  7. jschnitz

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Nope did not make it over to that side. I really should have made this a 3 day affair. With 2 days. All I had time for was the drive up and though the park and then leave the next day. I really wanted to do 120-395-108-49-140 and then to the hostel but there was no way I could do that at the time I got there from San Diego.

I am looking forward to doing this again. i am just going to take a extra day off to do it with.

As for pictures I think I got one of them. I am no ansel adams so I did not want to do an injustice to the park. It is so amazing to see!

Next time I will stop more and take photos.. .I usually just stop and gaze from the saddle..

Glad you had fun.. me too. much needed R&R
  8. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next time you go, i recomend going up the east side (395). The wind is at your back and you make great time all the way up. The views of the Sierras and Owens valley are fantastic.

Stay at El Mono hotel in Lee Vining. Its inexpensive and nice. Its also right next to 120.

Everyone seems to love Yos. To me, the best part of the park is actualy Tuolomne medows. The high country just offers the most amazing scenery. Absolutely the best.

Have fun and ride safe.

nk
  9. Caribou Aqua Buddha

Caribou Aqua Buddha Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, stay on the 395 side. Sometimes you can just drive in and get a site, I guess that is unheard of in the west side. I think I stayed at Big Pine Creek or Sage flat once, outside of Big Pine, very beautifull up there. I will probably never go to Yosemite Valley, the circus already comes to my town, so I do not need to go there.

Bentspoke
  10. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sad, but true.

If your looking for camping spots on the east side, there are tons!!! You dont need a reservation for most, and as long as you leave the park, they are free.

Best place is called Alabama Hills just west of Lone Pine. Its the place where they film commercials and movies (see Tremors with Kevin Bacon) Anyway, Movie Rd. goes right through the center and you can just roll out a sleeping bag and start a camp fire just about anywhere you see.

dang, i cant wait to go on another trip.

nk