'You are going to die' ....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Kamchat, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi TS, thank you for your kind words. It has been a difficult time adjusting to this new existence and my health and well being challenged to the point my leathers were far to big for me . However I am slowly gaining weight again and dare I say, it's given me an excuse to eat more cake, something we seem to do a lot of these days when we ride out lol.

I am pleased to say, you haven't seen the last of the Scotty Crew, we are here to stay as long as we have something to post. Without the crew, those who joined us from time to time and John's many followers, this thread would not exist.

As for me, this thread is like a old friend and a reminder when John and I would put the bikes away at night. We then download the photos and like unwrapping a present we always felt quite excited at what had been captured, especially the 'on board' shots. Our post ride out evenings would always be full of enthusiasm as we viewed, chatted and reviewed every photo. It's just one of the many things I very much miss we enjoyed together.

Sarah and the crew.
    YJake, klaviator, Bigbob1 and 3 others like this.
  2. bubu

bubu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I knew John and you of course through these pages...

I knew some of the crew when we rode on your fabulous roads through Scotland, so i perfectly understand what you say.

John is still alive here and more deeply in our hearts!!!
    Kamchat and TreasureState like this.
  3. tweise

tweise Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Sarah,

as others have already expressed, it is good to hear from you and the crew, even if the reason is another impact. I hope you and the family is doing well, keep riding and post a pic from time to time. My condolences to Jimmys family and friends :cry

Regs tweise
    Kamchat likes this.
  4. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sarah so much for the update; I too check back frequently in the hopes of hearing how you are all doing. So glad to hear you are riding again and enjoying times with your crew. Was such an inspiring read and then you mentioned the passing of your friend Jimmy. So, so sorry to hear that, must be such a bitter pill for all you guys to swallow.........my condolences to Jimmy's family.

All the best from Canada, winter right around the corner here too. Thanks again so much for taking the time to update us all. Cheers.
    Kamchat likes this.
  5. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Sara Its so nice to hear from you and that you LKC and family have appreciated all of our messages but at the same time terrible to read of Jimmy's passing as well. John wherever or however we met him lives on in all of our memories. Mine will be seeing him chase those French bikers down that great twisty motorway when we came over the Millau Bridge. Just thinking about it was Jimmy on that trip ! or was that another Jimmy. Its great to also learn that your now able to get back out with your gang because you dont need me to tell you that what is what John would of wanted. Its been a great year for biking weather wise but would you believe just before the weather became good I broke my wrist and it was in plaster for two months. Dont ask !
    Never was a fast rider even when I rode my Blackbird to Spain with you all but even slower now I have a GS1200 Beemer. I think its an age thing. I thought John got a bad deal when he got caught speeding but just watched a video where two fellas on sports bikes and one got caught speeding in Switzerland and for doing 60mph over the top he got an immediate ban and a fine of £3200 on the spot. So perhaps I am better off on the GS.
    Anyway as I said its nice to hear rom you again so keep in touch with all of us as much as you can. We all certainly miss John and his excellent photographs thats for sure.
    Finally and who can say otherwise really hope that John is somewhere talking bikes and having the craic with Tommy who was also on our trip.

Best wishes
    Ted
    TreasureState and Kamchat like this.
  7. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi tweise,

It's good that we are back on the map so to speak.

Many thanks for your condolences.

Sarah and the crew
    TreasureState and tweise like this.
  8. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi and thank you for your kind words.

Aye loosing our Jimmy is another major blow for the crew. He was a much loved and valued member (especially for his knowledge of the road south of Glasgow), and like John /Kam will be very very much missed.

There is definitely a nip of cold in the air, but we haven't quite hung our boots up. Though it was as I am sure you will appreciate this could depend on the weather report this Friday... and the temps are due to drop as the wind swings from the North.

Best wishes,
    Sarah and the crew.
    TreasureState likes this.
  9. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ted, long time no see :)

It's great to see you here. It feels such along time ago the Barcelona trip and yes I remember John and the French bikers... what an idiot since he completely missed the turning and then it was sometime before we saw him again. Honestly sometimes I could have crowned him for worrying me lol. Can you remember when he called and we were at the tolls?

I remember breaking his shoulder, though we weren't with him and that group at the time. You may remember were named the 'slow group', Though I know you guys decided to take the route via Andorra (with John temporarily following you as he hadn't realised lol), but we made it back to Brive la Gaillarde before the fast group on the return trip, mind you I'm sure Jimmy's off probably had slowed them down.

It wouldn't surprise me if John's found Tommy and Jimmy's with them too somewhere beyond this world.

For you I had a dig around and found a few photos from our trip, hope you like?

Sarah and the crew

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. bubu

bubu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The "viaduc de Milliau"... nice place!

Finally Sarah we cross our lifes many times without meeting... And the first was in 2013, at the Hilton Hotel, Do you remember??
    hondated and Kamchat like this.
  11. Oms

Oms Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Sara, good to hear from you and feel crushed that another member of your group has fallen. Like many others that followed Kam's thread, we have never met, but I felt like part of your group and wondered how you are coping and if you would continue to ride. In March 2017 I lost my wife of 17 years, best friend and constant riding partner. About 6 weeks after she passed i went out to the barn one day looked at the bikes, closed the door and didn't open the door for another month. The first couple of rides I'll admit I didn't enjoy, I hadn't rode solo much in many years. My riding buddies were brilliant. No one pushed me to ride but as soon as they saw my bike out they pulled up almost daily to go for a scoot. I got my joy back, wind therapy is the best. There were times I could almost hear her nattering in my helmet over the intercom.
    I'm happy for you that you continued the sport and have such an amazing group of like minded friends.
    Cheers from Canada
  12. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to read this Oms you have my deepest sympathies and its great to read your friends are supporting you and your feeling great riding again. Ted
    Kamchat, Oms and TreasureState like this.
  13. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi again Sarah
    Yes I remember all that and I think we were all feeling a little smug that us in the slow group had beaten the fast ones. I vividly remember us meeting them at that toll station and Jimmy pulling over to us and telling us he had come off and then walking around to the other side and seeing the damage to his ZZR1400. How tough was Jimmy when you think he rode all the way back home with a dislocated shoulder. What about that fella who met us in Spain on his Suzuki that was all taped up because he had come off riding down to meet us from Italy after watching the GP there. Got to say thinking back given that not everyone knew each other it was a great trip. Its also great to think we all rode all the way down to Spain because I only seem to meet people that have got on a ferry in the UK and landed in Spain.
    Hopefully I will have a better biking year in 2019 and manage to get up to see you all at the Green Welly.

Regards

Ted
    Kamchat likes this.
  15. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really happy to hear from you Sarah. Thanks for the update and be safe out there. Lovely to see Kam's bike on the road. I'll bet he's smiling.
    TreasureState and Kamchat like this.
  16. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bubu, of course I remember.... and the tshirts you gifted John and I.
  17. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Oms, its so heartbreaking hearing you lost your wife and that you two had a shared passion for riding. I know I don't need to explain to you why we feel the way we do, but somehow we managed to cope and build around that loss. And not a day goes by without us realising something we are doing is not quite the same as before, because the absence of our love one.
    However it is great to hear that your friends have been so supportive like mine too. I often imagine John is only just behind me, which he often would be and those thoughts always give me comfort. I just know John would have wanted me to continue to ride too because we met as bikers and therefore I will continue to be one, though I do wish he was still here. And I promise like my riding, I and the crew will continue to keep this thread alive with stories from Scotland.

Best wishes Sarah (and the crew)

A old photo, but one of many John took
    [​IMG]
    hondated, bubu, TreasureState and 2 others like this.
  18. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol Jimmy was a very tough individual. He's was the sort of guy who would not stop.... dare I quote something from the Holy Grail, 'it's just a flesh wound' especially after hearing the eulogy.
    The guy on the Suzuki was a bit of a cocky so and so, but tbh without him we probably wouldn't have made it back to Brive. He was extremely knowledgeable and spoke french very well... Though having a leaky bottle of oil strapped to the back of his bike was probably less of a good plan (I think we noticed once we got back in to France) lol.
    Well if your coming to Scotland, give us a shout! It be great to meet :)

Sarah
    hondated and TreasureState like this.
  19. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi and thank you.
    I bet he is smiling. John Kam always wanted me to ride the 1000 more, but I did very much enjoy the 750. But I admit I am enjoying the 1000 and maybe a little more than the 750. :)

Sarah
    hondated and TreasureState like this.
  20. Kamchat

Kamchat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Out yesterday for a wee run with the guys - it took a little persuading well the temps were around 41 degree, but we headed firstly to Arrochar and bathed in the sunshine (to warm up), at the top Loch Long.

[​IMG]