'You are going to die' ....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Kamchat, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 15's Pop

15's Pop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dude, are you reading my mind? I've been dreaming about flying to Madrid, renting a bike, riding to Paris--then turn it in and hanging out for a few days... then renting another bike and riding to Rome... then fly home...

as a "wee-lad" as y'all say (did I get the spelling correct?) I spent a month in England, it was amazing... can't even imagine what it would be like on a bike... you are in heaven... you know that, right?

now, i'm really new here... friend turned me onto the site. but, noticed your photo work right off. good stuff.
    I've been thinking about buying a camera, all I got now is my phone... maybe a GoPro... not sure which would be better... may just have to get both.

may note that I've posted a couple of "threads", but i'll hopefully have much better ones to follow, as i'm just getting the hang of the format here. since finding this site I haven't been on any "memorable" rides yet, but I got some places I plan on visiting/hopefully soon.

thanks for your reply
    hope you have a great 2019!
    martin
  2. AT Rick

AT Rick wanderlust is a thing

Oddometer:
    Not motorcycling but...we landed in Edinburgh, drove over through Trossachs over to Fort William arriving in Uig...overnighted there and then took a calmac ferry over to Lochmaddy in North Uist, Outer Hebrides....kayaked and surfed and noodled around in boats....managed to make it out to St Kilda...which is a remarkable place. Had a phenomenal paddle out to the Monachs in thick fog.

The water LOOKS like the Caribbean...it is much colder.

Roads were very, very narrow and cars play chicken, racing headlong toward one another to see who might pull over first. Passed entire mountains blanketed in rhodedendron bushes. And Eilean Donan castle

And whiskey. Everywhere. Glorious.

Love to go back but I'd spend my time sea kayaking, not cycling...the coast and water there are too stunning to miss.
  3. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Sarah sorry to read you've not been feeling too good and hopefully it will clear up soon. Best wishes to you and all of your family and of cause all our Forum friends for 2019 . If I manage to get up your way this year I will let you know and hopefully I can meet up with you and your biking mates. Ted
  4. bubu

bubu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Happy to see the 1000 ok

if you need something just ask...

take care with the new tires.

and have fun.

hope you feel better now?!!
  5. pierro6

pierro6 n00b

Oddometer:

Hi Sarah

I haven't viewed this thread for ages so didn't know you'd picked it back up, which is awesome! I was devastated to hear about John, read something in a local paper about an accident and it stuck in my mind, subsequently read it on here. So sorry to lose one of the biggest characters in the Scottish biking community. Hope to read about your adventures on here.

Cheers
    Pete
    TreasureState likes this.
  6. Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Gosh, for some reason I had a hint ? to look for this thread today. So surprised and Glad to see your getting along Sarah. A brave heart for sure, but one needs to get back on that horse even if it's just to do it and that's it.

Keep the faith, Jimbo.
  7. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sarah, glad to see the thread up also. Hope your doing ok. cms
  8. Leebo

Leebo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just logged in to this for the first time i a long time.. So sad to hear.. what a shame. I shared some Glasgow photos with Kam a few years ago from when i was in Scotland in 89. He knew exactly where it was.
    RIP Kam
    so sorry for your loss Sarah, LKC and the group.
  9. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see S & the Crew carrying on with this thread!
  10. hondated

hondated Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Sarah just posting for whenever you should feel strong enough to return to this forum to let you know that I am sure for many of us on here John still rides with us whenever we get on our bikes. The image of him chasing off to battle with those French riders as we descended down off the Milleau bridge on our way to Spain still brings a smile to my face when I remember it.Hope your still getting out on your bike. Ted
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just read through this entire thread, 329 pages and most of the 6570 posts in less than a week. I don't really have the words to convey how I feel about this but I'll try. My deepest condolences to Kam's friends and family. What a tragedy and great loss to the motorcycling community.

I wish I had discovered this great thread years ago. I'm not sure why I didn't. When I read it I knew how it ended. That made me sad as I read it but what a great story. Kam really created a masterpiece here. He claimed to know nothing about photography and used an inexpensive point and shoot camera but he was a master at capturing the action of sportbike riding as well as the beauty of Scotland. But this thread was more than great photography. His words and the way he responded to people really engaged the readers. For me it was like reading a great novel, one which I didn't want to stop reading. The fact that this thread was so active and had over 1.4 million views tells me that I wasn't the only one who feels that way.

After reading this I feel like I was there, riding with Kam and his friends and enjoying the scenery of Scotland. I wish I could have thanked him for this thread when he was still here.

So while I am very sad over his passing, I am really glad I decided to read this thread. Kam created and left behind something great to be remembered for.
    CMS, jwmitch, ullukk and 8 others like this.
  12. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sarah, so glad to see the thread continues, as you and the crew keep riding here , so will Kam, and all of us. Best wishes to you and the crew.
    TreasureState and klaviator like this.
  13. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl Alpoholic

Oddometer:
    My god.

For personal reasons, I haven't been on this forum for many years. Someone here may or may not remember me. Recently, I thought I'd just log in again, because of all the good memories.
    One of only three threads I was watching in all the years I was on board, was this one. I have seen every post, until I "left" the forum, and I loved every moment I virtually spent riding with Kam.

The best memory I have from ADVrider is meeting John in person. We met up a couple of times in Glasgow, when I was over from Switzerland, never rode together, but went for a good beer and some nice pizza.

I just now read about what happened. I am lost for words.

Sarah, we never met but I seem to know you a little bit from the thread and from when John and I talked. I hope you are ok. My thoughts are with you.

I hope to hear from you again whenever you feel it's appropriate. Please take care.

All my best wishes (from horrible London, where I am "living" since a while - hoping to be able to move back to Switzerland one day soon...)