You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in the latest advertised iteration of the Low Rider S. 2019 it only offered the 107 but 2020 has it with the 114. I was considering the Dyna Low Rider S but then HD scrapped the whole Dyna line.

I've always wanted to own a HD but every time I got close, they discontinued the series bikes that interested me. Buell Ulysses. V-Rod muscle. Then the Dyna Low Rider.

I like the fact that the Softail Low Rider has the mid controls. I've watched riders of bikes with forward controls come to stops and they are awkward. In my MSF class, I also saw several riders fall during slow speed maneuvers. They didn't anticipate the added time necessary going from riding position to feet on the ground.

I was fortunate because I got the only MSF bike with mid controls.

Pretty much the only changes I would make to the HD would be a Stage kit upgrade. And, to reconfigure the seat to accommodate my long legs.

However, and, this is a big if, I wouldn't want to take the HD plunge if what I read about HD is true. And I read it even among HD aficionados, viz. HD is dying as a business entity. Sales are plummeting and they are in danger of ceasing USA operations.

Anyway, all the above could be moot as I have never actually ridden the Low Rider. I'm currently on a 2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC with ~5,000 miles on it. It's got ~140 horsepower with the Arrow piple. And that thing hauls.

The Low Rider S w/114 has right around 90 horsepower stock. 110 hp with stage kit upgrades?
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my professional opinion the 114 is not worth the 2K or so extra cost. Buy the 107 ride it for awhile and see if you really want the expensive "upgrade." The horsepower numbers do not translate well to real world use with the big Harley engines. Ride then decide.

Harley is going through a rough time as are most businesses but I doubt they'll cease operations any time soon if at all.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HD is not going to go under anytime soon. The decrease in moto sales has been across the board.
    I think that you should ride the HD, it is a entirely different feel. I had the TEX XRX and currently have the Trophy SE and a Sportster Roadster. I love both bikes for different reasons.
  4. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Why buy new?

Rent before you buy.
  5. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    The HD you knew, fueled by Baby Boomer consumerism is dead. The new HD will have to weather the tide of GenX cheap minimalism and then Millennial poverty and safety
    khager, Manray, Oilhed and 6 others like this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will question is in which form
  7. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    A friend of a friend of mine works for a Harley dealer. Actually, he owns it. Not long ago, they saw a lady walk into their store with a clip board. They watched her as she started walking around the store, and she pulled out some kind of hand-held meter as she walked through the clothing/accessories department. They approached her and asked how they may be of assistance...

She declared that she was from the mother ship, corporate-corporate Harley Davidson, thank you, like she was expecting them to salute her or something. She very sharply explained she was measuring ambient light levels in particular departments to report back to the mother ship on them. As she left she sneered and stated "you'll be hearing from us".

A couple weeks later, they got a snotty letter in the mail on Harley letterhead declaring that they "must" fully upgrade the lighting in their store.

It was just an odd thing to hear about. I would think that H.D. would have other things to worry about, bigger fish to fry.

The other thing I learned is that they can't have any non-Harley used bike trade inventory. They basically can't take a non-Harley in on a trade, period.

Perhaps the likes of other brands have some quirks too, but this all seemed a bit narrow minded.

In the meantime....

pissed_on by Honda.jpg
  8. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    90 horses at ~4800 rpm. With the stage 2 (or 3?) there is an increase in horsepower and torque, and it comes in at lower rpm.

What am I missing?
  9. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good advice. We used to have a HD shop that rented bikes. I'll check to see if it's still here.

Edited to add: I just checked. There is still a company that rents Harleys. But they only have three: 1200 CUSTOM SPORTSTER, ULTRA CLASSIC, AND A CUSTOM STREET GLIDE.

I have zero interest in any of those bikes. The ultra and SG are waaay too heavy and have forward controls. The sportster is too small for me. 6'6", 37 inch inseam, size 14 boot.....
  10. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the above, except not allowing non HD trade ins, would not surprise me. Whatever clown CEO was running Triumph up to two years ago imposed similarly arbitrary and burdensome criteria for its dealers. My guy was one of only two Triumph dealers in Oklahoma. He had to stock foo foo Triumph clothes, obscure bike accessories, etc. He even had to segregate his store into two sections: Triumph, and everything else. He even had to put up a separate Triumph sign.
    Last year he shut down and declared bankruptcy. Granted, it might not have been only because of Triumph, Inc. But that didn't help.

And, as I understand, Triumph America was taking Harley's business model concerning clothing, accessories, parts, etc. It doesn't work.

Harley not allowing non Harley bikes is curious, though. Because Triumph Tulsa was all the time getting Harleys. More than he could handle, actually.
  11. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding one. If you want multi cylinder power buy one. You are ignoring the TORQUE which is what Harley produces in shitloads. 100+ ft-lbs until 4000 RPM. From your posts it seems you may not be a Harley type. Obsessing on number printed on paper isn't what they're for. Then again neither are any other motorcycles.

Again just go ride one and decide. I'm going to shower then ride my 117HP/81ft-lb Aprilia Tuono. :D
    avsbezzy and JRMAL like this.
  12. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ultimately, yes. Before one rides HD in Tulsa, one must go to one of two HD dealers. Before you ride, you fill out a sheaf of paperwork replete with personal information. Then, you go for a structured, short ride with a chaperone. That's not the kind of ride that answers questions.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Inactive User

Oddometer:
    Patently untrue. Harley is caught up in three phenomena: the dying cruiser market, the fact that it now shares that market with Polaris, and the cyclically soft sales of new motorcycles overall. In the face of that, they are doing exactly what they should do... diversify their product line, and sell more bikes globally. So the question is, from a capital perspective, do they have enough time for that stuff to work? Well, the market cap is still $4.8 billion, and the stock is still yielding 4.69, despite being driven down by speculation and lousy quarterly results for a while now... so smarter people than you and I think they're a long way from disappearing.

FWIW, the M8 is a stunning engine, IMHO. Like a freight train.
  14. Traxx

Traxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well I don’t know about most of that but I do know for a fact that the HD dealerships in Ft Worth Texas will take another manufacturer motorcycle in trade. The HD stores here are huge and aaallllllll about the HD brand and lifestyle. Live bands every Friday and block parties every other weekend along with bikini bike wash.
  15. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imo Harley Davidson is a brand not a motorcycle, so no it will not die. Here in New England it is alive and doing very well. Sure the sales may be lower, but there are so many on the he road that service is booming and since Harleys really do have a timeless look slow sales will not show on the road helping the brand to stay alive during bad times.
    rider33 likes this.
  16. Khantahr

Khantahr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought my Ninja used from a Harley dealer, got a good deal on it with almost no negotiation. Great place.
    yamty175 likes this.
  17. JRMAL

JRMAL Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are more Harley's out there than any other bike.
    I'm sure someone would let you test ride one if you would let them ride along side you with your bike. Go to a rally.
    I know I would.
    I used to own a real Triumph a long time ago and I'm curious if they still feel like a Triumph.
    neanderthal and Traxx like this.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    If they can evolve in the market as it looks like they are trying to do, they will definitely survive.

They must be learning from our "chosen one" in their tact when dealing with the people who pay for their product.

Maybe more on the open road in the U.S., but not likely in the world market, and I wouldn't bet on all roads. Maybe you just notice more of them due to the instant replacement of the stock exhaust with blat pipes. :lol3
    CaseyJones likes this.
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never had any interest in Harley Davidson before, why start now?? If they go belly up, it "won't befront me none".
    Electrical and AwDang like this.
  20. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never owned or rode an original. Meridian? Or are you talking before that?

Anyway, these are the Hinkley Triumphs. I'm on my second Triumph, both Hinkleys. First was a Scrambler and now the TEX. The TEX has ABS and is a really good bike thus far.