You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I actually like them, but they don't have a model that fits my needs right now.

The Livewire would have been a perfect money saving commuter for me, as my company would let me charge it every day for free. I rode one of the prototypes and loved it. The price made it not feasible for me.

The Bronx looks like a great sport naked for those in the market for something like a Yamaha FZ1.

The Pan America appeals to me, even though I am thinking about moving from 400+ lb adv bike to a 300 lbs dual sport. I could see myself buying one as I get older, and building a sidecar rig out of it. Again, though, I can't justify spending a significant amount of my nest egg on a toy. I'd need to wait and get one used for $10K or less.

I rode my friend's Street Glide, and thought it was like a 1960s Cadillac coupe. Smooth, big, and classy. There's no way I could slide the back wheel around in my garage to go back down the hill though. :lol3
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure ya can just turn off the TC and have at it.
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once again, such commentary destroys any credibility of the opinions presented, making it appear to be nothing more than circular reasoning to support a bias.
    Traxx and phughes like this.
  4. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like a plan Kodak would've issued around 2000, doesn't it?

Smaller, affordable electric bikes (not the bloated LiveWire) are a disruptive tech that HD should be furiously forging ahead on, while keeping their ICE cruiser customers happy with incremental improvements to their old products. Instead, HD is further marginalizing itself, somehow thinking they'll attain Leica status in the motorcycle world. Lots of profit in an Alta Redshift sort of bike in the volume they'd sell, and HD could stand out from the competition of little fish just starting production.

Instead, it's this defensive, stay-the-course plan shortly after the opposite was put in place. In my opinion, HD is squandering the limited time and resources it has left for a turnaround.
    neanderthal, Brtp4, CRP6001 and 3 others like this.
  5. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Folks bash the Harley Ultra Glide and Street Glide as being heavy and having very poor handling.
    However I don't see anyone throwing rocks at the Yamaha Venture or the big Kawasaki that is trying to copy the looks of the Harley.
    I have seen riders on both the Kawi and Yamaha dressed just like the Harley riders.
    Leather vest...Chaps and where legal..no helmet.
    However just like the Harley riders there are riders that putb a lot of miles on those bikes.
    Traxx and ZoomerP like this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Neither of them is betting their future on it.
  7. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Further, those companies have wisely diversified a long time ago.
  8. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Nope. I was optimistic but this last year and the delay in the non-cruiser models has me exceptionally disappointed. The used bike market is booming, and non-harley are finally catching up in market share. Our BRCu courses stay packed/booked MONTHS out, even our weekday classes, so motorcycling in the US isn't going anywhere. My 14 FLHX is the last newer harley I'll buy. I'll keep my 97 XLH around because I built it. Rapidly looking to get onto another adv bike.
    liberpolly likes this.
  9. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    liberpolly likes this.
  10. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comparing the companies HD and Kawasaki is pretty silly. Kawasaki had a revenue of $1.3 TRILLION and their motorcycles probably barely even register in that number. They're not a motorcycle company, they're a huge industrial powerhouse that happens to make a few motorcycles.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    That kind of diversity applies to many of HD's competitors.

Of the few companies that only mass produce motorcycles, how many are so closely tied to such a limited line-up? I'm genuinely curious, because I don't think there are many standalone companies that mirror HD's business practices. Most are part of a much larger organisation, and even the ones that are clearly focused on motorcycles have more diversity in their offerings.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  12. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You missed the point I was trying to make.
    My point is that folks bash the Ultra Glide for being heavy, low ground clearance etc.
    The bikes I mentioned from Kawasaki and Yamaha are trying to copy the Ultra Glide and no one seems to bash them.
    I have also seen a riders on those bikes doing their best Harley rider immitation complete with loud pipes.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The computers at work have started saying Harley-Davidson will cease in 24 days. Do they know something?
    Traxx and Brtp4 like this.
  14. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    Just nitpicking here but that 1.3 trillion is in yen. So about $12B USD.
    BobcatSig and ZoomerP like this.
  15. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I think it's you who is missing the point. Those bikes are bad whether made by Harley or Yamaha, but their badness will not sink Yamaha or Kawasaki, but it may sink Harley, and that would be a pity. It's not bashing, it's the concern for the iconic American brand.
  16. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    I think only Triumph, KTM, and Zero are motorcycle-only, and yes, they all have fairly diverse lineups.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  17. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    Whoops! Good catch.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  18. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I really hoped that whatever was going on between HD and Alta was going to be good for both companies. It seemed like just the right move for both at that point in their respective histories. Clearly, that wasn't the case.
    liberpolly likes this.
  19. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    Zero isn't that diverse, they have a street bike and a dirt bike. All their models are one of those two with various options added or removed.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  20. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    I get it. When the Others saw the gold that HD was raking in from the Boomers, it was inevitable that they'd develop similar cruisers to join the Pirate Fleet. The Others can fold up their entire HD-esque lines and continue on without much trouble. Not so for Harley.

I'll never join their crew, but it'll be sad to see another storied company flame out.
    BobcatSig likes this.