You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Honestly one of the most puzzling Harley idiocies ever.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  2. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zero's current production numbers have to be insignificant compared to Triumph, and especially the KTM family. Still, they're a leader in their segment, especially since Alta disappeared.
  3. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Dirt, dual sport, adv, supersport, and naked. Short of a cruiser and a tourer, what is there left for a tiny company?
    ZoomerP likes this.
  4. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Stabilize their platform as much as possible, and grow - until they get bought out and ruined by a major player.

Neat history lesson: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/10-years/

I think the fight for e-bike dominance is going to be very interesting, and the old ICE companies may struggle to compete with light e-bikes. With today's tech, an electric trials or dirt bike looks like a hell of a lot more fun than a giant e-cruiser. Too bad HD didn't come to the same conclusion.
  5. Khantahr

Khantahr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mistake, they have 3 bikes.

Their naked and supersport are the same bike. One with fairings, one without.

Their dual-sport is the same bike as their "entry-level" street bike (not sure what else to call it) with some dirty bits attached and different tires. Their adventure bike is the same bike with luggage and a few extra adventury bits (like aux lights and a wind screen).

The dirt bike is the third one.

I'm not ragging on them at all, I think Zero is awesome, I test rode one 5-6 years ago and had a blast. I'd buy one if they weren't so expensive for what you get (wait, isn't that one of your arguments against HD too?). They're just not diverse.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. TxRoadDog

TxRoadDog Shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    Say what? Elaborate.
  7. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    If that were an accurate prediction, their stock wouldn't be up 5% today.
  8. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Isn’t this how pretty much everyone multiplies their model count?

Regarding the price, what you get is electric. Who exactly delivers what they do for less?
    ZoomerP likes this.
  9. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Yes.

It must be a very short list. Cake? UBCO? In their respective classes, Zero bikes review well with ICE bikes, with the main drawback being range & highway speeds. That's countered by cost of ownership advantages, and there are other benefits. For a growing number of people, a bike like Zero produces makes some sense. If I hadn't been looking for considerably longer range, I may have gone with a Zero instead of a lightly used Honda CRF450L.

Electric motorcycles are beginning to come into their own, while leaving their puny bicycle based cousins behind. Like I said, whatever happened with the HD-Alta deal, it was a huge loss for HD. Imagine how Alta could've flourished with HD's support, while drawing new blood to Pirate Central when they need it most.
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:

I am employed as a Harley=Davidson mechanic/technician or whatever we're called this year. The shop computers (there are 3) started showing a pop-up message that says "Harley-Davidson will cease in XX days" yesterday. The countdown has started.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  11. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    Not really, take Triumph. The Tiger is it's own, as is the Street Triple, the Daytona, the Bonnie, whatever their cruiser with the gigantic engine is called, and some others, they're all their own bike, not the same one with different bits attached. Same with Ducati.

If you specifically want an electric bike then it's hard to beat Zero, but if you're just looking for A bike, it still doesn't compare very well with similarly priced gas bikes. My Tiger goes faster, farther, weighs less, and recharges faster than their adventure branded bike, for many thousands less dollars.
  12. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    I think someone is yoiking your chain. Their stock would have absolutely cratered if it were real.
    T-34 likes this.
  13. liberpolly

Oddometer:
    Daytona and Street Triple are the same platform. So Tiger, Street/Supersport Triples, Bonnie variations, and Rocket.

And yes, for the moment you have to want the electric specifically, just like it was with cars a few years ago. Now Tesla beats everyone at their own game.
  14. ZoomerP

Oddometer:
    Which is why it would be stupid to develop a big, expensive production e-bike with the current limitations of the technology - and yet, the LiveWire happened.

Otoh, if you want a light electric bike for dirt riding or commuting, where the range may not be that critical, and the benefits of electric drive can shine, paying a little more up front for a Zero compared to a 250cc ADV bike can make sense.
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's nothing more than a humorous comment. The computer has a program lease that needs to be renewed and it's a reminder. I just found it funny and you...........well I don't really know WTF your gig is.
  16. Khantahr

Oddometer:
    Ah, insulting me for not getting your joke. Congratulations on become the first member of my ignore list. Thanks for playing.
  17. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, hadn’t read this one in a bit.
    Sounds like we have new things to be chippy about :p
    At least the discussion continues :)
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My life may never be the same.
    T-34, Hopin and HuntWhenever like this.
  19. ZoomerP