You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    You really should have taken a screen shot, might have reeled in a few more.
  2. PNWRR

PNWRR A study in Mopishness

Oddometer:
    One of the better replies. It does the job that you want it to do. I imagine companies board members pulling their hair out listening to and trying to meet the demands of motorcyclists in general. "It's 20 lbs. too heavy", "It only has 105 lb/ft of torque", " It won't make my FuFu coffee for me in the morning". We have never had a greater selection of products to choose from, ever. My .02

:drink

Sorry for straying off topic.
    Traxx, bearcat1, KingOfFleece and 8 others like this.
  3. PNWRR

PNWRR A study in Mopishness

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-fea...es-patent-for-new-v-twin-engine-with-vvt.html

“The drawings show air-cooling fins, though the fins have uneven contours, curving in and out at at different spots around the cylinder. There’s also no oil filter at the front of the engine. It’s difficult to get a sense of proportion in these patent illustrations, but it’s possible we’re looking at the replacement for the ancient Sportster engine.“
    Traxx likes this.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    But the Sportster works so well. I see less of them on my lift for problems outside of dead batteries that are mostly operator error. I would be sad to see it go away.
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    The Sportster needs to weigh less, IMO.
    The engine is just so physically huge. Unnecessarily so. Yeah, I get it that a V-twin is the focal point of any H-D but time has marched on. There's no reason a 883cc engine needs to be that physically massive and heavy.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Harley sure is hitting YouTube hard with ads. $129 a month will put you on the seat of a Harley.
  8. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    And they're already carrying a lot of bad debt.
  9. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Look at it as an opportunity to improve the XL line. With a counterbalanced engine , they’ll be able to lose 35-40 lbs right out of the gates while also improving frame rigidity. If they keep what has made the Evo so great, like bulletproof reliability, hydraulic lash adjustment and great fuel efficiency, while also introducing a 6th gear then this may be a fantastic package.
    BobcatSig, Traxx, Oilhed and 2 others like this.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think they need to do something. The Scout has the Sportster beat by a wide margin IMO. I stopped by the local Indian dealer recently. They had several of their Ginormous land yachts and even a couple of FTRs but not a single scout in the showroom.
    Traxx, bearcat1 and Ginger Beard like this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I've ridden the Scout. Bought another Sportster. It's funny but I got it because it nothing like the modern Scout. I also prefer the Enfield Interceptor over the newest Bonnevilles. Something about a modern retro that is so thoroughly modern that it feels dead inside just doesn't appeal to me.

Hopefully they can improve the Sportster without ruining what makes so darn fun to ride.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get what you're saying, its why I find Urals so enjoyable, and think the sweetest bike I've ever ridden was a Yamaha SRX 250. Its hard to articulate exactly why, but the more sanitary a bike is the less enjoyable it is to me.

The oddest thing is when a bike is absolutely sterile like an E bike, then they become a unique zen like experience that's highly enjoyable to me.
    Richarde1605, phughes, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  13. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    SFC_Ren likes this.
  14. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man sounds like things are getting real bad over there.

15. ZoomerP

ZoomerP Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It'll all be better once they shutter more stores, lay off more people, reduce models, and reduce production of the remaining models, while keeping prices high. That is the big plan, right?
  16. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    First Time Riding a REAL Harley Davidson! (Iron 883)

Yammie noob rides a Harley for the first time. Doesn't sound like a great experience for the person not entirely stoked on Harley's.
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  17. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    So a sport bike guy is riding, not only the most budget version of the sportster, but also one that was lowered as a factory styling effort......and he didn’t like it, so Harley’s suck.

In related news after spending years riding Suzuki sport bikes, I did my Texas riding test on a nighthawk 250. That is when I realized all Honda must suck.
    AZbiker, phughes, Oilhed and 3 others like this.
  18. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    So an almost 900cc Harley is the equivalent of a 250cc Honda. Sounds about right.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Sometimes the great content on this forum is overshadowed by ignorance and bias. You're yelling at empty cans here, man.

As an aside, that was one of the dumbest videos I've seen in a while. :lol3
    AZbiker, Traxx and Reduxalicious like this.
  20. Reduxalicious

Reduxalicious Or is it?!

Oddometer:
    And they still haven't turned a profit since 2014...

Yammie Noob is a freaking joke who wrecked his bike by riding too fast on a public road, crossed into oncoming traffic, almost killing the driver of the car then mocks the whole situation with a video and then asks his subs to help him pay for his mistake.(The driver of the Porche suffered severe spinal injuries that have put him in and out of the hospital, and racked up millions of dollars worth of debt. Not only was Yammi riding on a suspended license, he was only holding basic liability insurance,)
    And to top it all off the dude has only been riding since 2016 and calls himself a "Street Rossi" :rofl
    AZbiker, phughes, Traxx and 3 others like this.