You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Ostensibly, the job of a motorcycle is to provide relative comfort while allowing the rider to enjoy turns of the road. If it isn't it, what is it?

Was riding with a buddy yesterday, it is comical how much a Dyna is shaking at a stop. It loosened up his battery connections! How do you Harley people make sure the battery doesn't self-disconnect - loctite?
  2. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Wow.

Motorcycles are neither one thing, nor inherently objective when it comes to what makes one good. If you were an enthusiast, nobody would have to tell you that.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Sure. What is that Harley good for other than posing?
  4. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    When the Diavel was launched, dealers reported they were selling well to short riders and women. Would you say that ‘objective’ assessment sums up your bike?

Thought not.
    AZbiker, Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

This statement couldn't be more accurate.
    AZbiker, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Logic 101: "selling well to A" does not mean "selling well ONLY to A". Also, how does it answer the question "What is that Harley good for other than posing?"
  7. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Correct. I think you’re finally getting it.
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  8. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    They must have run out of short riders and women to sell them to 'cuz there's a shit ton of them laying around dealerships.
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  9. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, I was getting it groom the beginning. Maybe you will start getting it if you mount your best effort to answer the original question.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    It’s an acquired taste for sure, even compared to Ducati in general. And so is a Harley, but for the cratering sales...
  11. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    ah, but then there is physics.

There is no suspension that can beat physics ultimately. Only bend it a bit.
    Mass is resistance to motion. The same thing that makes the lighter bike able to accelerate faster is the fact that the bike has less resistance to motion in the horizontal plane. Of ourse, mass has no direction. It resist motion equally in all directions. Just how mass works. That means that it also resist motion in the up and down direction caused by road irregularities. no different than heavier flywheels, ect. you are going to have different frequencies in the road imperfections. a suspension can modify output (what the riider feels) over ranges of frequency and amplitude. since the mass of the sprung weight is a natural damper (resistance to movement) the heavier bike suspension has a much easier job. For instance an 800 lb bike and a 400 lb bike with the exact same suspension technology (each tuned correctly, of course), the 800lb bike would transmit half the road imperfections to the rider that the 400 lb bike would regardless of how sophisticated the suspension is.
  12. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are not heavy to reduce engine vibration. They have rubber mounting to account for that (and balance shafts in the new softtail i think)
    They already use less fuel since the Oversquare engine is more efficient under partial throttle conditions. They also have a more efficient aircooled design that doesn't have to consume extra energy to circulate a secondary fluid through the engine. This is actually a considerable energy draw at higher RPM. Probably why the large touring bike still gets very good gas mileage for a touring bike.
    The heavy Harley design is half tradition and half ride comfort. it is at a detriment of responsiveness, and speed. The typical Harley consumer is older, cares less about speed and more about comfort.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    "you Harley people"??

To me the only difference between a Dyna, and a Diavel is that the latter takes more time and money to maintain. They're the same to me because I have no interest in either........but I understand others do, and thats fine. They make them happy, and I don't have to ride them.

What a motorcycles "job" is can only be defined by each individual on their own terms.
  14. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I am seriously asking Harley people what do they do in order to make sure the battery doesn't self-disconnect. If I get any coherent advice, I'll pass it to my buddy.

Every bike has its own lovable quirks and the owners have their way to deal with them. When I asked Ducati, Triumph, BMW, Kawasaki, Honda, and Suzuki owners to share their tips, everyone was amenable, helpful, and self-deprecating.

Only Harley people are so thin-skinned and defensive that they perceive every such request and "Harley bashing". I wonder whether it's because deep down they suspect that their bikes are genuinely shitty and there is no remedy for that other than "do it the Harley way". Which is in this case, what? Re-tighten battery screws at every stop?
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    This is not how physics works. A bike that is twice as heavy will, indeed, react half as much to the same bump, but it will go down twice as hard after the bump and will be twice as hard to stop.

Which is why off-road and dual-sport bikes, where smoothing out the road bumps is essential, are lightweight with huge suspension travel, and not 800lbs behemoths with 2" suspension travel.

And which is why my Diavel - let alone Multistrada - is much more comfortable on a road than Road King or Dyna that I tried.
  16. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    have never had a battery disconnect on a Harley, must not have been torqued down properly
    AZbiker, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    As much as I love air cooled engines, this sounds spurious. What percentage of energy is spent circulating the coolant, vs. how much more efficient is a watercooled design due to tighter tolerances available to such designs?
  18. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry you don't understand physics. , but you have shown this before, so it doesn't surprise me
    AZbiker, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Are there torque specs for battery terminals on a Harley?
  20. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I'll compare my degree to yours, punk.