You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    water-cooled doeskin allow tighter tolerances. It does play nicer with emissions.
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    What about fuel efficiency? No effect?

P.S. "doeskin" - is it "does" or "does not"?
  3. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    lol, i have 10 patents in Hydraulics, go ahead
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I thought we're talking about physics...
  5. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are, that is why my 10 unique technologies I have created in applied physics are even more applicable than a subject anyone took in college.
    The nearly 2 decades in automotive companies in both tier one suppliers and actual manufacturers probably relevant as well.

not trying to talk trash man, just hard to have a discussion about it when you are arguing against basic physics being valid. There is something you are missing in how the physics should be applied.

Oh, and I do have a masters degree, if that helps too.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    That makes two of us. Now can we put dick-measuring aside, and discuss issues on their merits?
  7. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry man, I'm done with this one too. Has nothing to do with my ego. I am not even much of a Harley fan. Just trying to correct some of the misinformation that get spread around here some times.
    Personally I like all kinds of bikes.

If you like I will agree. Harleys suck. They continue to stick to poor, outdated and pointless technologies, like steel trellis frames, dry clutches, Desmo valvetrains.....Oh, wait a minute. That's not Harley. Who is that, using those?
  8. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably. I've seen torque specs for battery terminals in service manuals for other vehicles. They could also use spade connectors, or some other type of connection. Heck, some batteries have welded connections, but I believe that's more common with much larger batteries.

I think we'll see some form of HD for many years (HD fashion will live on without the bikes), but I don't believe their current defensive plan is a positive move for long term success in the motorcycle market. Some people love old cars, planes, and bikes, but you rarely find companies building them the same way today. I get the feeling that HD thinks they can become a bespoke brand, and by doing so, they'll become a stronger company. I just don't see that happening.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't owned a Harley in over 30 years because I didn't really like them, but not because I found them to be "shitty", or ever had a battery connection come loose. I simply found that I have other preferences.

From that perspective, I see that its not Harley people being "thin skinned", but a lack of objectivity and understanding of those who don't share their preferences. I also see that criticisms about Harleys are often nothing more than humble bragging, the cliches of "slow", "heavy", "poor handling" being nothing more than an off handed excuse for pointing out their allegedly awesome riding skills.
    AZbiker, phughes, Traxx and 1 other person like this.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know quite a few people who rack up serious miles on Harley Road Kings, Road Glides & Softails. I don’t think that’s posing.
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harley will last...well, not all of them. :D

[​IMG]
    AZbiker, Traxx and ZoomerP like this.
  13. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posing is doing something to draw attention to oneself, and boast about it. One doesn't have to look far to find it on ADV, for some that's all they do
    phughes, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    guilty! I play photo Tagorama
    AZbiker and phughes like this.
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    That Harley was some kind of 800-ish Sportster with low seat.
  16. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Did you actually try it on battery screws?
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    And yet a simple question often has the whole mob of them flying off the handle.

Why is it unique to Harley, though?
  18. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    The "Harley way" is to expect that owners will realise when their rubber mounted engines need new isolators, (wear items) and get them replaced as may be required.

The "non-Harley" way is to think Harleys are "genuinely shitty" as a defense mechanism in order to isolate the truth, Harleys are great, fun bikes, from fantasies, Harleys are genuinely shitty and people who own them are knuckle draggers, through distorted, uninformed, bias confirmations, and to preemptively insult Harley riders by assuming they can't come up with "coherent advice" for elementary issues regarding how to keep a Harley running smoothly, because they themselves can't understand much of anything outside of their silos of limited experience leading to both, xenophobic and smarmy attitudes.

In other words, just because you don't understand something, doesn't make that something shitty. It just means you are prejudiced. Maybe it's beyond your comprehension to appreciate that most Harley riders come from varied motorcycling backgrounds, have owned several bikes beforehand, and choose to own Harleys. Mind baffling for you isn't it? lol...
    AZbiker, Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh come on now, you know darn well its not a simple question, and Harley riders are a harassed minority on ADV, where every mention them falls into the same pattern of bias, and prejudice.

EM's catch even more grief....for the same reason, they're not viewed as part of the tribe by many who fear, and misunderstand them.
  20. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not on a motorcycle, but on a Gravely tractor with rotary plow, which makes a Harley seem as smooth as glass..
    [​IMG]