1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    Traxx likes this.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    It does not help with "smarmy attitudes" when a Harley rider fails to understand even what is being asked about - not the rubber mounts or isolators, but the conductive connectors of the battery to the wires.

Also note misuse of the word "xenophobic" which applies to prejudice from people from other countries, not the people who are not smart enough to understand the question about their inferior bikes.

A side issue is that as much as Harley riders like to talk about low maintenance, having to take out the engine to replace the rubber mounts as a matter of maintenance is significantly more involved than about anything I can think of on such famously high maintenance bikes as Ducati...

So all that out of the way, what is your "coherent advice" for the "elementary issue" of stopping Harley from loosening its battery connectors?
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why?
    Do you think there's a difference between a motorcycle battery on a motorcycle, and a motorcycle battery on a tractor?
    Same battery, same cables, same fasteners. Why not the same solution?
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  5. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I don't know, every time it involves Harleys, it's all different. For example, the fella above thinks that in order to fasten the battery connectors, my buddy should replace the engine rubber mounts. Fuck, the battery box needs Philips screwdriver! My ancient Honda has a thumb wheel to take off the cover, without getting to the toolbox, which is still conveniently snuggled under the seat with a rubber lid. Maybe Harley will get there in 20-40 years?
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  6. sluagh

sluagh not fade away

Oddometer:
    I have ridden 2 different Harleys a total of 75k miles. Never had a loose battery cable. Those were both softails, which vibrate quite a lot but differently from Dynas. Softail engines are hard mounted and have a different harmonic balancer setup than Dynas. Dynas have more inherent vibration and are rubber mounted. Dynas vibrate a lot at idle but smooth out some at higher rpm. Softails tend to have a more constant level of vibration at all rpm.

Interestingly, over at the Harley forum, when someone posts a question about an electrical problem, generally the first response is "check the battery connections." And that is usually repeated several times in the ensuing discussion. I don't know if it's just conventional wisdom or if it's really a common problem, but it sure comes up a lot.
  7. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I had a battery cable come loose on my KLR once.
    Harley = KLR
    AZbiker, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  8. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    A common problem. All motorcycles not just Harley-Davidson.

Not to mention always seek the easiest to fix issues before digging in. Sure is nice not to need a stator when it's a loose/dirty ground.
  9. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were the one who stated your buddy's battery connections were shook lose by the vibrating engine, and I was the one who stated his engine (probably) needs new isolators to quell the harshness of the vibes leading to lose battery connections. You don't understand your own question let alone an answer to it.

Xenophobia is fear of the unknown and was used properly outside your silo. You do know what a silo is, right?

The coherent advice was in my 1st post and mentioned again in this one. Can you not read, or are you so blinded by your xenophobic "smarmyness" that you cannot comprehend?

Do yourself a favour, get rid of that counterfeit Ducati "cruiser" and buy yourself a Harley. Life isn't about going fast. ;-)
    AZbiker, sloryder and Traxx like this.
  10. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    How do we know it is abnormal vibration and not an expected Harley "character"? What's the expected amplitude of vibration at a stop?

What's "unknown" about Harleys at this point?

A coherent advice would concern fastening battery leads before assuming the need to change the engine mounts.

I have '74 Honda for the days I want to go slow, it has an advantage of not shaking itself apart, among other things.
  12. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I'll pass your advice to my buddy.

So what you are saying is that the rubber engine isolator on the Dyna engine that goes out is easy to replace, and the ones that are hard to replace are not going out, ever? By design or by happy coincidence? Is it documented in Harley user manuals?
  13. Geoff

Geoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whenever I visit dealers in the Chicago area (Conrad's H-D, Heritage H-D), the majority of bikes I see are big twins, usually Ultras and Softails. There's also a LiveWire....you know, the same one that's been gathering dust since it arrived. It's been this way well before the virus hit. What happened? Are dealers declining small displacement bikes for their floor plan inventory? I'm referring to bikes like the Street and Sportster. Harley has been struggling to attract young riders as its core customers age. Problem is, if a young rider visits these dealers, they'd be disappointed. They'd likely walk out and go check out a Suzuki SV650 or an Indian Scout.
    AZbiker, Traxx and neanderthal like this.
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now it's not so easy to get bikes. The Virus has thrown a monkey wrench in the works. Harley has/is using up the accumulated parts it has to make bikes. Resupplying is a dodgy process because of the big gap in production from outside suppliers. So they're building what they have parts for while the supply chain restarts. We're happy just to see the Harley guy walking in to get the forklift operator 'cause he's got bikes for us. Used bikes are just as hard eight now. This situation is new to everyone and I'm sure other industries are suffering the same fate.
  15. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!

You're the one who's asking questions!! lol...

Wrong. *You* said, his engine vibrates so much it loosens the cables, and so you think addressing the loose cables, symptoms, will fix the vibraitons, cause? . lol

Refrigerators rarely shake themselves apart. :-) Hondas have so many advantages over Harleys that they and their owners spent what, 25 -30 years and 100s of millions of dollars trying to emulate them? What was that model they had years ago, the ACE, the A standing for American, and the American standing for Harley? lol.... Some advantage. ;-)
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  16. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Harley Davidson's rich, "bad ass" history: proof of.

[​IMG]

For all the haters who carry on about HD's outlaw image, which is the real reason they wring their hands in joy and lather at the mouth as soon as HD has even the least bit of problems, it was not a factory marketing creation. The above photo OTOH was a factory marketing picture, during the time when OMGs were very prominent. The "bad assery" image was a grass roots development, as was H.O.G.; for owners, by owners, and it was all about the sound of that single crank big v twin, the sound of power and freedom, and the distinctly American success story styling. :-)

Even if HD as we know it today utterly collapses, it will never, to the chagrin of the haters here and elsewhere, die. Too many people like them and most, with the exception of the nagging hoard of haters, are able to differentiate the machine from the "outlaw" scene, and appreciate the machine for it's heritage, beauty and quality. If the hoard of haters have one thing in common, its that most have never owned a Harley. They blather on based on preconceptions based on rumors and their own ignorance-driven biases.

Last weekend I was out for what ended up being an 800 mile day tour through some very nice twisties, but I had to ride about 400 miles of highway to get to them and back. Came across a group of HD riders wearing some type of cut with some type of colours at a gas stop. As I was exiting, I rode very slowly past them, checking out the different models, and how each was individualised. I admired the bikes and then rode on, riding my own vastly different bike yet was able to fully appreciate the beauty and appeal of those "bad boy/girl" bikes. :-)

Long live HD, if only just to piss all the haters off!!! lol... :-)
    AZbiker, CrapKerouac, Geoff and 3 others like this.
  17. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find this ironic, since quite a few HD riders put so much effort into embracing the "outlaw" scene.
    I don't hate anyone for what they ride, or what they wear while doing it, but let's be honest about what at least part of the HD scene is about.
  18. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Traxx, Ginger Beard and Big John Sny like this.
  20. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Come on... this whole sport is full of 'scenes'. These people are generally no more cosplayers than the guys you see in immaculate Dianese leathers congregating at the Rock Store on a Sunday morning on bikes FAR more talented than they are, or the ADV riders in space suits who are convinced they're smarter than the people who built their bikes, or the hipsters who turn perfectly good motorcycles into monuments to an imaginary past, or the guys on KLRs who work tirelessly to look like they don't care, and on and on. For lots of motorcyclists, this is part of the fun. When I see a group of prosperous looking millennials in flannel and leather acting out their SoA fantasy on a group ride, I'm happy for them. Without exception, anyone who gets wadded up about this kind of thing should look in the mirror and examine their own insecurities.

As for the relentless troll in our midst (how does he keep this going?), I'd offer two things: nobody who rides a Ducati has any right to preach against buying a bike with your heart. And anybody who thinks there is such a thing as objective 'better' and 'best' when it comes to motorcycles can't possibly be an enthusiast. They're simply antithetical.
    oldgrizz, AZbiker, Vertical C and 4 others like this.