1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For everyone else. Probably not.

For us hardcore dudes.

We support each other. Like me advising my younger brother on trouble code shooting on his newer sled.
    He sure is wondering why he put his 72 FLH in the garage now.
    She is starting to look prettier and prettier to him.
  2. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He does build a good sled when he wants to. His 1972 looks better than this one he built from spare parts.

[​IMG]
  3. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Yes, that also squares with what I've read and heard from insiders. In addition to your point, a lot of the bad AMF rap came from friction between Harley's independent internal culture and the corporate conglomerate parent. Bad AMF bikes just sort of became a 'fact'. Interestingly, among younger fans, the AMF-era bikes are starting to get some attention, if primarily for their looks. Even Harley now offers paint schemes on the Sporty that evoke that era.

I've just been working on a project with a lifelong greyballs Harley guy, as pedigreed as it gets, and straight from central casting. What's interesting about these guys if you talk TO them rather than ABOUT them is that they'll volunteer every deficiency mentioned on this thread on their own. Why the faithful love these bikes is unapologetically because of how they feel to ride... sort of like old muscle cars. I can't think of a thing wrong with that, and a lot of them are more honest about the quirks of their bikes than a few other tribes I can think of.
    Traxx, Richarde1605, ZoomerP and 2 others like this.
  4. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    This is something a lot of people don't consider when it comes to Harley's future. Asians, specifically Japan, absolutely LOVE older Harleys. Depending on whether or not it's solely from a nostalgic perspective and will never branch into the newer Harleys is debatable. Regardless, there's Asian interest in Harley and they would be wise to try capitalizing on it.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley owner/rider here for approx 32 of the last 44 yrs. Newest was a Dyna EVO. My Shovel, owned 20yrs, is slow, rough as a dumptruck, leans about 5 degrees and I rarely ride it more than a couple of hrs away from the nearest trailer. Although I've ridden and owned better motorcycles, none were more fun. It's your thing or it's not. If I had to explain, I probably couldn't...
    AZbiker, rokytnji, DR Donk and 4 others like this.
  6. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I've read numerous reports over the years about how AMF did not invest in tooling, leading to a drop in quality and drop in reliability, and squeezed HD for all they could. Yes, they bumped production but did not retool. Look at it this way if you want "proof": it's universally agreed that the AMF years Harleys, are not good bikes. Why do you think that is? Because AMF invested in upgrading their plants? And yes, disgruntled workers were also part of the problem.

Sorry, but I don't have the time and energy to go find links for you. :-)
    AZbiker likes this.
  7. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, read your dissected quote below, and then please tell me how you don't say people who disagree with your subjective interpretation of that ad, are stupid:

So an ad sucks if you say it does, no matter what others say.

Can do what? Agree with you? And if they don't, they have no logic or reason?

All I saw was a bunch of goofs, having some fun with stereotypes. Hatred did not blind my eyes like it does yours.

Once again, according to your subjective interpretation. Please go and read my posts on how many women love HD and the HD culture, which can be seen any summer weekend on any road: women, riding on the back of HDs as passengers; women riding big and little Harleys as riders. Women are not dumb deer in the headlights like you would like to, or perhaps need to imagine them. They know the HD scene is a macho culture, and they embrace it. *You* are the one who has a problem with it. Another virtue signalling Quixotic snowflake, tilting at windmills.

So if I don't see what you see, and think what you think, I don't have a functioning mind according to you. This is the point where you intimate people who don't see thing the way you do, are stupid.

Many sport bike riders and dirt bike riders custom car builders red neck truck owners around here have no problem blasting people's ear drums. So,what's your point?

Ahhh..there we have it. You are a Harley culture hater, that's all. Just another pile of the same shit that gets all in a tizzy because he hates Harley outlaw and gang image, and then takes it out on the bikes and the company and anybody like me, who does not confuse the machine for the scene and disagrees with your "reality". None of us has a functional mind if we disagree with the almighty, the all knowing Beemeup: the King of logic and reason himself.

Oh no, HD is not hitched to your wagon, I can assure you of that. ;-)

But I'm done with you and that other idiot. Unlike the two of you, I speak from Harley Davidson ownership experience, not out of my ass. That's why I see things closer to the truth, not what I imagine the truth to be about HD bikes: They are great bikes. Deal with it.
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  8. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Friend of mine used to work in the engine dyno lab at HD. He said they couldn't destroy the V-Rod engine. He had a lot of compliments for the V-Rod, which from him, any compliments or positive comments were rare. But HD put that great engine into a frame that caused the rider to fold over reaching for the handlebar and pegs, into the wind. If HD had put the V-Rod into a much more rideable/usable chassis (like the prototype Nova chassis) it would have been a likely successor to the FXRT. A great bike itself.
    Traxx, HuntWhenever and Oilhed like this.
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:

You really think the ad is poking fun? - " All I saw was a bunch of goofs, having some fun with stereotypes. " So, its a caricature?

Then how are you making a point by saying "Women are not dumb deer in the headlights like you would like to, or perhaps need to imagine them. They know the HD scene is a macho culture, and they embrace it" ? Ok, so it true and real.

So,which is it? Macho culture in real life or some goofs having fun with stereotypes in an ad? are you talking about the ad, or reality or fantasy? You change the goal posts from sentence to sentence.

Ok, here is reality - he doesn't like the ad. The ad sucks. Deal with it.
    BobcatSig and ZoomerP like this.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    No we took the battery cover off and the screws were literally loose, and he tightened them the night before.
    phughes likes this.
  11. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    : popcorn :
  12. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Assuming I'm "that other idiot" that's speaking "out of my ass", please post direct quotes where I've said anything negative about Harley riders or HD bikes. You see words that aren't there, and you don't see words that are there.
  13. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    All that to prove I didn't say what you claimed I did. Went for the ole smoke screen huh? I have nothing against the bikes or Harley Davidson, just the jackasses that have the emotions of children trying to prop up their egos with them.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Just accept that you're everything bad in the world to him.
    We'll hold hands as we dance on the grave of HD ... or something.
    BobcatSig and anotherguy like this.
  15. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    It's his religion and we are sinners.
  16. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know about all that.

I didn't like a couple of HD ads, and I think HD management has made some poor decisions in recent years. A lot of people love their Harleys, which is fine by me. The company has been a staple of American life for roughly half of the country's history, and I'll be happy to see it stick around. For that, st3rider has called me a virtue signaling idiot, hater, snowflake, etc. I don't know what motivates him, and frankly, I don't care at this point. People can make their own decisions about him and me.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  17. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    That's because some guys make it a religion and if you don't put up with their crap you are anti-Harley. A nonbeliever.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  18. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    True. That applies to some supporters of every brand. There are probably virulent supporters of Purdy paint brushes that are as rabid as any HD fanatic.
  19. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Nonsense. Trying to blur the issue doesn't make reality go away. Probably 90 percent of Harleys are way too loud. They often travel in large packs out on the road. Won't let you pass in the mountains. etc. We are all entitled to our own opinions but aren't entitled to our own facts.
  20. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like i just wasn't tightened tight enough. My screws never came loose on my XS650 and it shakes way more than my Harley does. since both pistons go up and down on at the same time on those, my friend that also has one, talks about how he starts it up to warm up on the center stand and when he comes back outside it is a couple feet down the driveway from where he started it. If you have ridden an XS650 for a while, you will not think a Harley shakes. :)
    phughes and Traxx like this.