1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would definitely be fun to experience.
    Big John Sny and Traxx like this.
  2. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    Those socks sure are...special. 3
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I have a suspicion that those 200 HP Harleys can survive a race or two, but not continuous use. If the reliability requirements are similarly discarded on Ducati, I am fairly sure it can get far over that limit.
  4. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it's "bagger" racing, they should have those huge honkin sideboxes on AT STREET HEIGHT ON THE STOCK BIKE.
    also- NO safety gear allowed except for do-rags and Oakleys. Must be dressed as a full road pirate.
    Mandatory 6 pack chug in the 15 minutes before the flag drop.

I WOULD SO WATCH THIS!!
  5. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the morning laugh, I needed it! :jack
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
  7. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    When Ducati dumped the 1299 V-twin motor in 2017 for the V4 because the that V-twin was no longer competitive, it only made 216 HP. That is a pretty sure bet that that is as much as that motor is capable of at that displacement.
    They are able to squeeze 235 out of the V4.
    AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    If "Top Gear" was into motorcycles, that would be a perfect episode!
    Richarde1605, Traxx and Big John Sny like this.
  9. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the one that they raced semi trucks.
    liberpolly and Traxx like this.
  10. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I say a 6 pack chug because you are at peak performance around the track at 4 beers chugged.
    We have found that lap times start suffering exponentially for every beer chugged over 4.
    Was an interesting and fun experiment... cost a few light injuries and some parts, but was totally worth it.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  11. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, this doesn’t sound FIM a proved.
    HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  12. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    It does if FIM stands for Fellowship of Intoxicated Motorcyclists. ;)
  13. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    This discussion is somehow perfect for the thread with this title.
    Big John Sny and HuntWhenever like this.
  14. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    As I said, they're production bikes which are limited by warranties and liabilities, whereas 200HP Harleys aren't, so you're comparing apples and oranges.

Meantime in real world Diavel wiped the floor with both 114 Harleys:
    https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-d...davidson-fat-bob-114-vs-ducati-diavel-1260-s/
  15. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Oilhed, phughes, AZbiker and 2 others like this.
  16. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    It sounded like they thought they were pretty comparable. they said I lot of what I have said all along.
    the Ducati has more top end. They said the Fat Bob turns in easier.
    Sounds like they make comparable bikes. The Ducati is the winner, but also more expensive than the Harley’s. I keep reading and Agee, the Fat Bob is the better of the two Harley’s. quote from the article
    “The Fat Bob is simply a more versatile and more comfortable motorcycle with better all-around performance and its own burly (if controversial) style. It is remarkably nimble given its measured 670-pound wet weight”

it is kind of what I have said all along. The Diavel is better, but they are actually pretty close in performance. The Harley is cheaper, has better dealer support and much less maintenance when you consider things like the chain maintenance and Valve adjustments. Comparable bikes. One is slightly better, but the other is easier to live with, especially if you do a lot of miles like me. Different strokes kind of thing.

Also, world super bike is not production. It is super stock racing.
    AZbiker, Traxx and klaviator like this.
  17. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't use the term "slightly better" for a bike with almost twice the horsepower, 1/4 less weight, superior suspension, brakes, and seating position. Or, in the words of the reviewer "The Ducati is an amazing machine. It's powerful, agile, and comfortable—three very clear reasons for a win in this shootout", while also using terms like "the Ducati easily left both Harleys in the dust", "The Ducati meanwhile was in a world of its own", "incredibly powerful beast, but not wild or unwieldy", "the new engine's smooth and linear power delivery ... giving you all the power when you want it, but only when you want it", "held the intended line, unimpeded by passing bumps on the road, and the riding position and seat let the rider adjust body position to further enhance cornering response. And on straight sections, the combination of top-shelf suspension and a comfortably padded seat made the bike smooth riding and enjoyable. It was plush and controlled, with excellent overall stability, and was the best-handling bike in this comparison", with "wonderfully precise, powerful brakes".

Harleys, on the other hand, "The Fat Bob, meanwhile, with its 28-degree rake, dropped into turns easily and stayed there, though its high-profile front tire was a little twitchy feeling, reacting to every little bump or input", "The FXDR’s 34-degree rake and 240mm-wide rear tire make accelerating through longer turns difficult, as the bike stands itself up with power application or trail-braking input. Both Harleys had a little bit of tail sway or wiggle brought about by midcorner bumps, and with only preload adjustments available on the rear shock, there wasn’t much we could do to curb the problem other than slow down and ride through it. Further, both the Fat Bob and FXDR are fitted with forward controls, making it difficult to fully utilize available chassis lean angles without the rider’s heels contacting the ground and dragging from the footpegs. On these bikes, more rubber was burned from the soles of our boots than the tires this day". Etc. etc.

It is total and utter wipeout, not "slightly better".

The difference between $19K Harley and $23K Diavel is not that big compared to ~$10K bikes that most people are buying. It's like complaining that Ferrari is $50K more expensive than Bugatti, makes almost no difference to people who would buy either.

The only things you got for Harley correct are "the chain maintenance and Valve adjustments", and of course the anvil weight which according to you is better for touring. (snicker)
  18. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no forward controls?

I is disappoint :-)
  19. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:

I would say the fact that everyone keep comparing these bikes to each other, would, by definition, mean these are comparable bikes.
    Slightly better would be subjective I suppose. I mean, for instance, both of these bikes would handle pretty badly compared to a Japanese sport touring bike like an FJR or a ST1300 for example.
    so if we are looking at the spectrum of all bikes, the Diavel and Fat Bob, are pretty close. They had a lot of handling similarities when I rode them both. , but as I said, they have their differences as well. probably they keep being put in comparisons together because of their similarities.
    it is good for us as consumers to have choices based on our preferences. I always promote riding both and letting people decide for themselves. As I have seen in many of these comparisons, some choose the Harley and some choose the Ducati.
    Even in the Cycle World Video, Justin and Morgan Disagreed on which one each of them thought was more fun to ride.
    Sounds at least, remotely close to me.
    AZbiker, HuntWhenever, Traxx and 3 others like this.
  20. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    This is all you need to know-

No Harley Rider on a Fat Bob has ever been stuck behind a large group of Ducatis on a long twisty road. Ever.
    staedtler and Traxx like this.