1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some road users are faster, some road users are slower, some road users fail to recognize the real problem.
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  2. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    My only bias is towards Suzuki’s. that is why I have a bandit 400 in my garage that the last two owners gave up on getting running. But it has the 60 hp GSXR 400 motor in it (the original GSXR) in a trellis frame. SRAD suspensión even bolts right on, so I have to ride it!

so I have fruitlessly been working away on this thing even after a bad regulator smoked the brand new CDI I installed :(
    I think that is why I get a chuckle from getting told I have a Harley bias.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohhhh no, you ARE the Harley faithful because you don’t like Ducati.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Harley bias; Most who have it can't see it.
  5. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Edit before this kicked to the basement.
  6. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    funny thing is I like Ducati’s too. I had my monster for almost a decade. (Longer than I have owned this Harley) cool thing is that meant I got to spend the last half a decade of MotoGP races in Indy and COTA up in Ducati island. I ride a lot of Ducati’s. (Getting the free Bisscoti and espresso :p. )

I have owned more Suzuki’s (I have actually lost count) than anything else (obviously), 3 hondas, 1 Ducati, 1 Guzzi, 4 Yamahas (almost all my track bikes have been Yamahas) 1 Aprilia, 3 Kawasaki’s, 2 aermachhis, and 1 Harley. I can safely say I have no Harley bias ;)

I just wish Suzuki made a good bike for older riders.
    AZbiker, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  7. Traxx

Oddometer:
    Don’t be fighting my arguments with the truth. That is unacceptable and google and group think don’t think so.
  8. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    I was talking about a different kind of bias, but nevermind, I am looking at a bandit 400 in a few days to compliment my CB350F. How is it?
  9. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will tell you when I get it running :)
    Ordering the new CDI from Belgium.
    Yeah, CDI’s are a problem for them and hard to get in the US. I could have fixed the original if the original owner hadn’t sent it out to be fixed by someone using a blow torch. Oh well. The 30 seconds I got to hear it run before the second CDI I purchased from Belgium got smoked by the bad regulator was music. :)
    There is a reason the last two owners dumped it, but I can save her!
  10. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    I have the privilege of owning a white Harley Road King Police.
  11. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Saw the pre-edit version of this post, and I'm glad you changed it. Still, this little rhetorical flourish is a favourite culture wars tactic for saying "if you're not with us, you're against us," which is of course the ultimate expression of bias. One of the ironies of our time, which I pray we are someday able to laugh at. But in the meantime, no. Not hating Harleys doesn't mean you love Harleys. It might simply mean you don't hate any motorcycle. You know, like a true enthusiast.
  12. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    When looking at two dyno charts of, for example, a 114 Fat Bob and a Diavel...a true enthusiast won't simply point out that one makes more torque or that one makes more horsepower and let that be the conclusion. A true enthusiast will conclude "both of those bikes look like they would be a real hoot to ride for different reasons".
  13. Eldofornia

Eldofornia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They need to knock $5k off the Livewire price, so we can all learn to love one another again.
  14. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I mean, I'd be happy to change it back. Its not really culture war, its the same token as my previous comment which no one got about never being stuck behind A GROUP OF Ducatis. At least around here, the only big groups and the pervasive culture is Haley-ish. And thats why they get the negative comments. And if someone is in that culture and group, they haven't spent a lifetime looking at groups of Ducatis or Triumphs at every stop, with every rider dressed alike with their Ducati Jackets and Ducati boots, all checking out the Ducati accessory catalogue. They haven't stopped and every bike in every parking lot is Honda and every day its more and more of the same Honda rider and Honda groups, and then go inside and there are Honda signs and the bartender has on a Honda T shirt and ten or twenty other people so too. And "Honda parking only " signs. That only happens with Harley. So they, being in that group, have no idea how much other people are just sick of it.

I don't hate the motorcycles, I have rented them many times on vacation and as a result I have spent many long days on Harleys. I find the newer Harleys to be okay.
    Kittywhiskers likes this.
  15. Traxx

Oddometer:
    So you’re biased against the riders, prejudiced would be a better fit. Or is it just anyone that disagrees with you.
    sixspeed and AZbiker like this.
  16. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    That’s the part I’m curious about. “Sick of it” implies that it has some extraordinary effect on you. Trust me, I see subcultures of all kinds in the course of a day that I wouldn’t want to be part of and that probably wouldn’t have me, but I’m never “sick of” them. Why do they get to you?
  17. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    PS I think you might be surprised at how comprehensive the Ducati accessory catalogue is, especially if you include licensed products. I chuckled at an earlier post where someone used a branded bike cleaning kit as proof of Harley's illegitimacy... Ducati sells one just like it. The fact is, merchandise is sort of an indicator that a brand's following is emotionally attached to it to the point where it can be monetized. Honda can only wish, despite the fact that they make fine motorcycles. There's a pretty well developed Triumph scene, too... if you're in NYC, wander over to Union Garage some Saturday morning. If you want to see herds of identically dressed sport bike riders and you happen to be in LA, head up to the Rock Store. Everybody's just having fun. It's not religion.
  18. Eldofornia

Eldofornia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The newer Harleys are nice bikes. I compare my 2020 Electra Glide Standard to my old '99 Road King and it's night and day. And here's a thing: I pulled up an old review of the Convertible FX (Dyna) from 1997, and the price listed was over 14.5K. Believe me, in those days you paid at least MSRP. My EGS is much more in line with what competing baggers cost these days. Cheaper than some, even.
  19. KICKNBACK

KICKNBACK Old enough to know better young enough not to care

Oddometer:
    Harley riders lives matter
    C-mon you know it was going there
  20. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of people spend a lot of time attacking HD for nonsense IMO. And I totally understand that is what a forum is for.

I rode Japanese for a lot of years and bang for the buck, there is no one better in my opinion. My opinion is not as valid now as it was some years ago. I use to read 4 moto magazines a month, I was religious about it and pretty well informed. I got away from the Japanese bikes when a local dealer would not take my Kawasaki Vulcans in trade. That was 2012. Neither would a Victory dealer. I ended up at Harley. They were reasonable. So I got in to Harley's. I have zero brand loyalty. Dealers for some crazy reason thought they had the power. Fk them, I just moved on to another dealer. I want a motorcycle.

Seemed like the Japanese dropped out of the cruiser market really. And I rode BMW a long time ago and they were great but BMW went to electronics. The Japanese rarely stayed with any motorcycle for long. I had Shadows, XS specials, Kawasaki Vulcans, Suzuki bandits. I owned five of the Suzuki intruder 1400's and they were great bikes for me and I would still be on them if they continued making them but they stopped.

The last couple of years on the intruders, they renamed them and started saving a dollar by removing what made them so good in the first place as an all around pavement bike. They changed the handle bars, they eliminated the backrest for the passenger, they did not make the gas tank bigger, the seat was always bad. The worst single move was the handlebars. Some moto journalist sport bike idiot in a magazine said he did not like buckhorn handlebars reviewing the intruder, and bingo, they put these god awful drag bars on the bike that were expensive to change out to buckhorns.

I read the moto journalist sport bike idiots review that said this and I am joking that Suzuki changed their handlebars because of it. But the handlebars did change shortly there after. It changed the character of the bike and fxcked them up no end. Your weight was now on your wrists when you rode them. The cables were not long enough to change out to buckhorns, so unless you were ready to put another 500$, you were stuck with an uncomfortable ride. You had to change the seat out. But nothing would fix those drag bars. SOB.

Now that bike would not appeal to a lot of people but I thought they were great. A big engine, that sat small, was comfortable for long trips as well as short ones with a windshield and soft bags, EASY TO SERVICE, EASY TO TAKE CARE OF, RELIABLE, EASY TO LIVE WITH, COMFORABLE FOR LONG OR SHORT TRIPS. But Suzuki cheapened them and stopped making them because of fuel injection. This was after they fxcked them up with the handlebars change.

I really think sports bike people ought to stick to what they know. Doing wheelies and running 150 miles in hour up and down 95. (SARCASM) I am joking but why you would ever have anyone write an article about bikes they don't like or ride routinely baffles me? Why? Why would you ever ask someone who does not like harley and does not ride them, to write a review of them for a magazine? Why would you ever depend on someone's opinions in a magazine to tell you what is likable about harley when they don't like them, don't ride them, and don't know anything about them?

A forum is different, this is just about opinions and one is as good as the next.

In any case, I see a lot of high mileage Harleys. I have 2 older sportsters, one has 51K+ mileage, another 26K. I have a 2017 RK with 33K on it. I have put 95K, +some more from my 2015 that I traded in with 30K in 2017. About 110K miles in four years. For some that is a lot of mileage, for others, not so much. The sportsters have been very reliable. They are easy to work on except for the electronics and that is what will destroy them in the end. I am sure the time will come when I start getting enough codes that I cannot resolve and need to go to a dealer, they will be gone. I cannot afford motorcycles that our dealer projects, require dealer diagnostics to service. I cannot afford it. I have to be able to keep the bike running myself.

The future is anti Harley in the west. Actually, it is anti petroleum, anti Internal Combustion Engine in the west. Bikes are miniscule, automobiles are what needs to be destroyed. All ICE's have to go. Government has a program to get rid of them consisting of several steps. The more complicated you can make them, the more expensive and beyond the repairs of the owner, the more expensive you can make petroleum itself, the more regulations and rules you can drum up to make it harder for the ICE owner, the better. Government has their foot on the neck of the ICE in the western nations and they have made it their mission to destroy the petroleum economy, and the ICE.

China has told them to FO. Petroleum did much to build the wealth and power of the west and the Chinese know that. But EU and US have said o.k. to the destruction of what did much to make us the powers we are. They have bowed to the environmentalist/etc. Right now gas is cheap in the U.S. That is political. IN EU I am sure if is very expensive.

If you have an answer or something better then the ICE, I will buy it tomorrow. But they don't. This is just a war to make us less powerful. Harley is a victim of that, whether they can bow low enough, put enough electronics on the bike to emulate and imitate what government will accept this year is anyone's guess. In the long run, nothing will meet the standards. Nothing will suit government but electric where they control the electric. The electric will be powered by petroleum strangely enough but government will control it. Buy a bicycle or start walking for the long run.

Some will disagree, that is what forums are for. And I will listen.
    TonyKZ1 and Traxx like this.