1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile, given that the original question had to do with Harley's viability as a corporation, their business as a whole has recovered fairly well despite soft unit sales. For any grownups not engaged in magical thinking, this should accrue to the "Harley isn't going anywhere" argument.

Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 6.04.52 PM.png

Meanwhile, little man, I think we both know that I have indeed looked at the numbers. It's you who would prefer to bloviate than debate with facts. Which is a pity, because even if you bothered now, I'm not sure anyone would listen to you.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Graphed percentages, with no industry context... which was very much the point here. You are bringing a butterknife to a gunfight. Give it up.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Funny you bring "worldwide" revenue after insisting on talking about USA. You don't have any data, you are just pulling random images from internet.
  4. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    You're a flailing troll. Over several posts, I've only used one image. And many accurate, contextualized numbers, which you still lack. My last post addressed the question at the top of this thread, rather than the sideshow of Harley's recent unit sales.

I think one of your greatest contributions to this forum has been to introduce and normalize the practice of calling someone a 'dolt'. Dolt.
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  5. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shut the fuck up.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that's rude ! ^^^
    Traxx likes this.
  7. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    When you insist in a dozen posts that everyone should talk about US sales and then post the image of Worldwide sales, you are exposed as an idiot and are in no position to call anyone "troll". Your "numbers" do not address the recent existential challenges that Harley is facing - as agreed by pretty much every market analyst - and try to swipe them under the carpet. Double idiot.
  8. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    The term "troll" is thrown around way too loosely. You brought hard facts into the thread, trolls only bring bullshit.
    boomsling likes this.
  9. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever
  10. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be aware the above may only be the case in the USA. In other parts of the world, well at least where I live which I would imaging is not unique, a HD would be the least preferred touring motorcycle. The vast majority of HD's will be observed in a very close radius (say 80 kilometers) to the city. Most often parked up somewhere, rather than moving on the road. It is what you'd expect from a brand and customer base that predominately values 'image', over other attributes such as 'performance'.

The 'preferred touring motorcycle' here is without question a GS, then an assortment of other make adventure bikes, then hyper-tourers, then pure sport bikes. Any class of these will significantly outnumber HD's when it comes to genuine touring.

You may see quite a few HD's on the interstate here and think they are a relatively popular touring machine. But that is only because the other more popular classes of bikes are totally avoiding the interstate and on the twistie back roads.
    Scoozi and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of countries have miles and miles of relatively straight, well paved roads. Maybe just USA, Canada & Australia.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  12. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know much about Australia, you may be right. In the states you will see far more Harleys a long way from home . BMW isn't even a blip . There are some high mileage BMW guys but they are a comparatively small number. You really do have the wrong impression about Harley and there riders, at least in the U.S. of A. I think you may have the wrong impression about BMW also BUT you have a right to your opinion.
    st2sam and Amphib like this.
  13. klebs01

klebs01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_7736.jpg IMG_7755.jpg

My dad on the Dalton and in Coldfoot. I should tell him that he's doing it wrong if he tours on his HD and that it's supposed to be about the image.
    Richarde1605, st2sam and Ginger Beard like this.
  14. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    This is what I've observed as well in many years of traveling the contiguous 48. I always look at license plates.
  15. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you know what my 'impression' of Harley riders is? I haven't expressed any, all I've done is stated the facts as they relate to Australia. FACT: HD's are not a popular touring bike here, they would be the least popular. I don't even need to include 'probably' in the previous sentence, its that cut and dry. Yes, you will see the occasional touring group, but no where near as popular as other makes/models. HD are popular here, just not with 'touring riders'.

The biggest bike gathering in Australia would have to be the Phillip Island MotoGP. Riders come from 1000's of Kilometers away. The car park behind the main straight is just a sea of bikes. HD's would probably make up 5%?? of the mass of bikes.

P.S. I've also haven't expressed an impression about BMW riders. Just again stated the fact that a GS is the most popular touring bike here.
    Scoozi and Richarde1605 like this.
  16. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Straight dirt roads like that, honestly I prefer to use my air-conditioned SUV.

And as Mick Dundee would say 'that's not a touring road'...... this is a touring road

[​IMG]
  17. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Yet another vague and still fact-free ad hominem from surely the least qualified person here to comment on this issue.

Everything I've posted about Harley Davidson has been clearly framed and based on objective evidence, including my specific comments about Harley's role in the decline of motorcycle sales in America and the general question of its financial viability (I can actually juggle more than one conversational ball at a time). You're simply way too frothed up to read it.

I don't find your abusiveness charming, nor your miserable howling about Harley Davidson. Speaking for myself, you would do a great service to this discussion to move on to another thread.
  18. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Very curious to know what you thought you were contributing here. Because to me, this just looks like someone who is full of rage and out of ideas.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier N.P. Harleys were the majority but BMW was a close second - GS & RTs mostly. Distant third was Yamaha Tenere or Kawi KLRs.
    I love it! That's how I like to ride, my buddies laugh and make fun of me.
    neanderthal and Richarde1605 like this.
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing more than tired of hearing you repeat yourself. Care naught what you think of me or my life. Have a nice day. :finger
    oatie likes this.