1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever It turns out you can't delete your account...

Oddometer:
    If it helps, I don’t think of you or your life at all. I wish that was reciprocated.

Anyway, not sure what you’re “hearing”, but there are few activities more discretionary than reading. I repeat my earlier offer to help you find the Ignore button.
  2. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buh bye now.
  4. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    If you managed to get on the bad side of both me and anotherguy - we couldn't possibly be farther apart - you're either very stupid, or a master troll. Not that it matters.
    CRP6001 likes this.
  5. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Gosh, I never looked at it that way. You're both so famous for being even tempered and generous of spirit.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    It's because you're not the brightest candle in the candelabra, that's for sure.
  7. scott123007

scott123007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The three of you are sounding like menopausal women. Why don't you get on your bikes and meet up somewhere where you can race. You know, settle your arguments like men...
    Richarde1605 and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Why don’t you direct your moral outrage toward the people responsible for the tone of this discussion. I’ve offered an evidence based answer to the OP’s question, and have been called stupid and told to shut the fuck up. Responding to the abuse doesn’t make me responsible for it.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  9. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    the HD dealer here does take non-HD stuff on trade, but doesn't sell them in the store. not sure what means, but they wholesale them out somehow. probably have a deal with a re-seller / ebay guy or something along those lines. they have a room in back that's full of the 'other' stuff that's been traded recently.
  10. KSJEEPER

KSJEEPER Long timer

Oddometer:
    HD will survive, but they will be less iconic in the next 50 years than they were the last. The Sturgis type of guy is a dying thing - but they might be able to morph and appeal to the next gen. A company who can sell tshirts for $33 will survive one way or the other. I do agree with the statement as to how many HDs are out on the open road. road glides and electra glides are everywhere on the long western super slab routes. granted, with 45yo or older guys riding them.
  11. old scoot

old scoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ you may be right, motorcyclist on the whole are decreasing in size. I'm not sure Harleys customer base has changed much in several years. As older riders retire from riding there are others taking there place, when that 70 year old turns 75 that 30 year old turns 35. That's about when the average person can afford a Harley and afford to take a little time off for a few trips a year. You guys that like to throw statistics out to prove your point, well that's what stats are for, to prove a point regardless of what that point might be. I just got home from a 1500 mile jaunt around the Midwest and I saw 4 Gold Wings and 1 BMW. Granted it was a short trip but the longer ones are about the same. I'd say Harley owns the touring market in the US and that wasn't always the case. Harley will be fine barring an economic melt down which would bring down everybody.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget Harley has found a way to survive 2 world wars,1 depression,several recessions,2 private owners,major labor issues (which continue)public ownership (which is a blessing and curse at once),a buyout,flirted with bankruptcy,and out lasted 100s of other American makers. Including one that claims to be the oldest maker (notwithstanding the 50 year break :D ) in the world. it will not be the same Harley-Davidson it was but it isn't that now either. Harley will survive.
    oatie and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    We all know Harley doesn't sell nowhere near what any single Japanese maker does, even Royal Enfield sells more bikes than H-D but they do out sell a couple European brands combined. When a Europea brand equals tha or H-D bike sales fall to match, that's the time to worry imho.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the rider base in the US is going down or changing much. It seems to my uninformed eye that a lot of that is based on new bike sales. As mentioned previously in this thread how much might be people riding used bikes. If I look back at my 2006 Speed Triple, it is not lacking much compared to 2019 bikes. Maybe a little worse suspension, LED lighting and a fancy TFT display. Seems to me a lot of bikes are like that now. The latest greatest features are small improvements that a lot of people look at the price tag and say "for X amount less I can live without Y."

Kind of like computers. For a while each year brought some big changes but today a 5-10 year old machine doesn't have that huge difference they would have 20 or 30 years ago.
    Traxx and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    People aren't spending money. Period.
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Seems like a good excuse for a race though! :ricky
    Traxx likes this.
  17. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Works for me. Summit Point Jefferson circuit?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Not really.

They are also good for paying salaries of Harley factory workers, while sightings of Harleys on highways - not so much.
  19. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    A few too many Fenatis around here for my taste.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. phughes

phughes Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine did it on a Goldwing. He fell at a stop sign after not putting his feet down...of course, he had just removed his sidecar. :lol3
    Richarde1605 likes this.