You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure they all went to 17” rims if I am not mistaken.
    I remember them saying something about that during one of the practice sessions. maybe someone will start offering 17” rims for the older touring bikes. I know I would be interested in that.
    that would probably open up some brake choices as well.
  2. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Jabcon2, phughes, AZbiker and 4 others like this.
  3. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    dang, that had to hurt.
    I did that once with our formula 6 track bike. Smaller bike than I was used to, so my weight too far back. Was showing off for my kids and going to wheelie down the street after I unloaded it off the trailer. My oldest son said it was so funny because I had such a big smile on my face as the wheel started going up and then it turned into an “oh sh** face as I let off the throttle and it kept going over. Sounds like it would have made a good blooper reel. I’ve got to remember to float the foot over the rear brake. Lol, I probably should be old enough to know better.
    I can’t imagine what the oh sh** face looks like when you are getting ready to have a 600 lb bike land on you.
  4. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Yea...I couldn't imagine what he was feeling once the bike went past noon. "No good can come of this :nah"
    Big John Sny, AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for the Obese basketball League championships next month. The Burger King vs Arby's rivalry [​IMG]
  6. greycountyduc

greycountyduc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Bagger racing is a double win situation. It's a lively media topic right now, and I see that as a positive.
    And that off the line loop? Boys if you've ever lined up at the start line on machinery that is pure machine, no electronic safety
    gee-gaws and wanted to win on a vintage machine, then I gaurantee that front wheel's coming up and it's on you to control it.
  7. greycountyduc

greycountyduc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the guy doing the starts just popped it a little too hard, not what he's used to, is what I meant to end that.
  8. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    That's the way I seen it...experienced racers just getting used to new (to them) machines.
    AZbiker, Big John Sny and Traxx like this.
  9. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Those baggers on the track just looked like a couple friends touring on the Jasper-Banff Icefields Parkway. :dunno
    Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  10. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I'm just thinking that some of this racing will result in both companies offering performance touring baggers. Mid controls, weight reduction (lightweight boxes, maybe ditch the sound systems, etc) , 17 inch wheels and full length adjustable suspension. Sport touring baggers might be a hit.
    AZbiker, severely, Oilhed and 3 others like this.
  11. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    All these riders looked to be on rearsets not mid controls. I hope this will lead to aftermarket rearsets for big twins along with more suspension options.

Actualy, since the controls are worked by linkages anyway. Why can't I have both rearsets and mids on the bike for however I feel at the moment?
    Big John Sny, cide1 and Ginger Beard like this.
  12. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like the Electra Glide Standard with a better suspension? Maybe the sport glide with a taller rear suspension?
    Granted, when I pulled the fairing on the Electra Glide there was a lot of extra stuff in there, wiring harness speaker pods etc.
    I think/hope that we will see a redesign of the touring chassis soon.
  13. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

They indeed were. I'm just thinking that for a production bike, mids would be more attractive to those looking for touring comfort while still providing a nice performance increase over floorboards. It would be less "radical" to have them setup as a performance standard vs having a sportbike rider triangle.
  14. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    I can personally say that that works out very well :thumb
  15. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    So the rules allow only Harleys and Indians? That's sad...
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  16. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of installing longer floorboards on mine so that I can slide my feet back further when i want them under me more. I would have to remove the heel shifter as well, or as someone on here pointed out, i might be able to get a longer heel shifter to move it further back. I did notice when I was picking up parts to put the cartridge suspension on my bike, that all of the new touring models they had on display had no heel shifter. Maybe it is already becoming a thing to delete the heel shifter?
    Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  17. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the moment anyways. This was just an exhibition race.
    Will have to see where it really goes. This was focused at a very specific rider group that they were trying to broaden the interests of.
    There has apparently been a group of people just racing Harley Baggers for some time now. I see it as tying into those groups and slowly introducing more bikes.
    AZbiker, Traxx and Ginger Beard like this.
  18. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    It was fun to watch though

Big John Sny likes this.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    You would also probably need to raise the seat as you move the controls back, otherwise your hips and knees will be unhappy.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Quite a bit for rear sets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit: Something worth noting is that both Indians on the podium had this high seat approach while none on the HD bikes in the field seem to have properly addressed seating position for aggressive cornering. I believe that this translated to the much higher corner speeds produced by the Indians, even though the HD bikes had higher top speeds on the straights.