You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    :brow :lol3
  2. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally, as a motorcycle enthusiast and not a Harley fan or hater - I can take them or leave them. This whole idea of creating a shortage to drive up the price is for suckers. Some people just want to be conned. Just look at the sales of SUV's and Stupid Duty trucks to people who live in states where they never get snow and people who almost never haul anything heavy.

I want a motorcycle company that strives to make me the absolute best bike possible at the price I can afford. Sure, my best bike is not everyone's but within each category of motorcycle there are great values. The intangibles are mostly in your own mind. To pay more $$$$ for the HD brand and some fancy chrome and a pirate image is fine for other people, not for me.
    klaviator, Richarde1605 and Traxx like this.
  3. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yet here you are throwing the same old rocks.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mention Harley, or electric motorcycles..................

And one gets the same old platitudes from the same old sources. I don't know how long HD will last, but I suspect they will be in a 3 way race with the pundits, and cockroaches to be the last survivor.
    AZbiker, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  5. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Message sent to him, also asking about the points I raised. Or sent to his wife, anyway. She said they rode them all summer and really like them. They had to give them back when they fired everyone in July, disbanding the effort. Then 2 weeks later, they spun it off and invited him back. He declined, perhaps having the same view of the future of HD as I do. He now works for another well known Wisconsin bicycle concern. She said she'd buy one, but would paint over the HD branding right away.
    She is a serious bicyclist herself. Competes in 100km one day off road events. One of very few women to complete them, usually. I trust her judgement.
    Richarde1605, Traxx and liberpolly like this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    "Artificial scarcity is for suckers" is, indeed, an old platitude, but it is nevertheless correct, as the Harley new management will soon discover.
  7. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Side note: my sister did the Leadville 100 last year. She finished in under 12hr. It was an awesome accomplishment.
    Richarde1605, tlub, AZbiker and 2 others like this.
  8. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am impartial on Harley surviving or not. I rented one for a long trip and wasnt impressed.
    Crap handling, braking, and gas mileage, but went fast in a straight line.
    It baffles me people pay so much for garbage.

Some guys like it and good for him.
    I have a friend at work who rides a HD. Every time we talk about bikes I mention my most recent trip and he talks about what gremlin he is trying to trace down or why the bike is in the shop. I realized the other day that I ride more during winter than he does during the riding season cause the damn HD is always getting fixed. But he loves it and is another brother on two wheels but good for him.

worse thing harley has going for it is their riders. I ve met some who are great guys, stop to see if you need help or are on trips accross america on a whim, great for them. But I have lost count of the number of times Ive delt with the tough pirate crowd and them making comments about why dont I get a real mans bike. Honestly I want nothing to do with their bikes or their fans
  9. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:

Exactly. I was actually ruminating on BetterLateThanNever's excellent post.

"I think the answer is that they don't think there's any real ROI for growth in the near term, so what they're going to do is engineer scarcity. Reduce the number of dealers so they can control pricing. Focus on the ones that are also writing lots of financing business. Optimize the hell out of the supply chain. Instead of trying to sell more bikes, they're going to try to sell whatever the market will take, for more money.."

Fuck that shit. Which is also an old platitude, but in this case well deserved.
    Traxx likes this.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    So which model are you speaking of and what are you comparing it to? Cuz I replaced a BMW K1200LT with a Road King. The HD Is easier to handle at low speeds, the brakes are on par, the BMW was faster in a straight line and the BMW cost more new in 2009 than the HD did in 2018. I liked them both but I’m happier with the Harley. And I didn’t pay a lot for either one.
  11. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    How did the two compare on maintenance (and did you do it yourself or have a shop do it)?
    AZbiker likes this.
  12. jacktwitch

jacktwitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont know off the top of my head. I had reserved a japanese cruiser from eagle rider ( cheapest option) but they didnt have it in stock so they gave me a harley.

If it works for you great. And if your on this site I will give you the benefit of the doubt you are a good dude for sure.

Unfortunately the encounters with harley riders that stick out in my mind are them running their mouth about my dirt / mud covered honda while standing next to their sparkling chrome bike.

If the brand and folks like that go away I wont shed a tear.
  13. ADV Phil

ADV Phil Boats & Hoes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harley goes away...sooner than later. F-em. Trash bikes.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    the BMW costs roughly twice the Harley for maintenance. No, I don’t do my own.
  15. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    I would have thought "more", but I didn't expect "roughly twice"...wow.
    Traxx likes this.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I started with a Suzuki and have owned three. Also had a Kawi, a Yamaha, a Guzzi, a Ducat and a bunch of BMWs. This is my first Harley. Got it when I was 55 years old. I’m a fan of all things with two wheels. I’d drool over a new Super Cub or MV Augusta.
    phughes, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  17. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photog
    phughes likes this.
  18. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    it mighta been more. I recall a little less than $1,000 for the 6,000 mile and a little more for the 12,000. The Harley was a little less than $500 for the 5,000 mile. And tires last a lot longer.
    phughes, AZbiker and Traxx like this.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t say that about any bike. I’m cheering for Suzuki to come back to their former glory. I could do without the “Harley attitude” at the dealership. Heck they even bad mouth their own models, sporties, Vrods, Buells & Streets! But as for owners every brand has their fanboys. Some are more obnoxious than others and Harley just has more. Most Harley riders I run into these days are more like the Gold Wing riders from twenty years ago. And if you don’t modify the crap out of them they are pretty reliable.
    T-34, Big John Sny, phughes and 5 others like this.
  20. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Not to go too far down the maintenance rabbit hole but...
    I do 90% of my own maintenance. This is also my first Harley and it has been just as easy (if not a little easier) to maintain on normal intervals. The bonus points come from not having a valve inspection/adjustment interval. I get my tires done at my local multi-brand dealer that I've always gone to, so I have no idea what the labor rates are at the Harley dealer.

One bike I am often tempted by is the R1200RT (especially the new R1250RT). There are a few things that keep me from going that direction. One of those things is cost. Another one is maintenance. Although its not a difficult to maintain bike, its a bit more time per 10k miles than my Sport Glide. Doing maintenance a few times a year, that extra time adds up. Also, the few items that I would probably let the dealer do (I had my valve checks done by dealer on my V-Strom and my Super Tenere) would have me driving an hour to the closest dealership. That's an hour in the opposite direction from my 45 minute commute to work. Currently, my multi-brand dealer is 15 minutes from home and on my way to work, and my Harley dealer is 5 minutes from work. I've only had to take the bike to the Harley dealer twice...once for the 1k mile service and once for a warranty issue. It was nice to be able to drop it off at lunch, meet a coworker for lunch at a nearby restaurant, ride back with him, and have him drop me back off at the dealer at the end of the day.