You guys think Harley Davidson will last?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by tessalino, Aug 24, 2019.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    Do folks in the GS or KTM threads post up questions like "You guys think that Motorrad will last?" or 'Will KTM make it?"

After all both are quintessential adult toys just like HDs or most other expensive bikes.

The Roundel seems to have the same proud soul stirring for BMW faithful as the bar and shield for the HD guys.

Unfortunately for all three, large and noisy crowds of owners don't always translate into sales to make the brand survive.
    boomsling likes this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I was thinking something more 12 hr and offroad.
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well then how 'bout Budds Creek?
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.............great minds think alike?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I'd truly hesitate to refer to myself as a great mind. :lol3
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't I did. :D
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure our roads are well paved in OZ
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty true, most hd I see in Oz are shiny shed queens. Some mates do tour, and tow trailers, but most of them that I see are just an image thing.
    I thought that this thread was about hd viability, and that is global not na centric.
    Enfield for example have sky-rocketing sales, like a million units per anum and increasing while hd sales are not.
    Scoozi, Eatmore Mudd and JohnCW like this.
  9. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Actually, royal enfields sales have been in decline for the last 39 months in a row.

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/368847/royal-enfield-sales-decline-39-months/
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bad timing for Royal Enfield. They have spent a lot of money over the past couple years developing new models. Hope things pick up.....the whole business not any one maker.
    Amphib likes this.
  11. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Rideaprt isn't... I think they need a better calculator in this case and some better other things in other cases too.

39 divided by 12 is 3.25 on my calculator or roughly 3 years and three months right ?. So their basically telling us Enfields been in a decline since June 2016 ? Rideapart shoulda done some better research https://auto.ndtv.com/news/two-whee...-enfield-posts-23-growth-in-fy2017-18-1831443
    At least rideapart has some slick imagery. Enough digressing I think.
  12. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I don't want to clutter up the thread or participate in an argument over this. There's been several articles in my news feed regarding royal enfield. A quick Google search and there are several media choices to choose from.

But it does relate actually. This is an industry wide concern. And it's important to put the topic at hand into context.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I agree: no need to argue, we can yak about the other stuff some other time somewhere else and yah man, the topic.
    Amphib likes this.
  14. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't they have several work stoppages and strikes? Delay of new models to the dealers during that time? Whenever you intro something new you better get it out there cuz the same old same old ain't gonna sell as well anymore. I'm still waiting to see the promised V twin.
    Amphib likes this.
  15. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I remember reading about that. But here's the statement from re

Following the announcement of financial results for the Quarter ended June 30, 2019, Vinod Dasari, CEO Royal Enfield said, “The demand in two-wheeler industry remains weak due to slowing economic growth, tightening liquidity and regulation driven price increases, that have led to poor consumer sentiment. At Royal Enfield, we remain focused on our key priorities, which is to deepen our markets in India and to strengthen our position as a global consumer brand.”

The other thing I've read is models like the Himalayan are selling well, as is the 650, while the 350 classic has tanked. Their overall number is down, but they do have some good things happening.

As with harley, I'm a fan of re, I hope they can weather this.
    anotherguy likes this.
  16. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True that bike sales seem to be declining worldwide, but some manufacturers are still selling lots of bikes. So is Harley a viable moco.
  17. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truth. In my experience here, if you disagree, you are a troll. Sad.

Harley will make it in my opinion. I've had 2. Street Bob and street glide. I was the funny looking one at the dealer with a filthy bike in attgat though. I rode mine while the lifestylers were busy polishing.
    Mattbastard likes this.
  18. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    There's similarities. Both of them have a significant appeal in image.

Two key differences:

--BMW's products are engineered with performance in mind. Ergonomics, power. Overpriced? Probably. Service and cost-of-ownership too high? Yes.

But many H-D models can be outrun by UJMs of half their displacement.

--BMW's product image is aspirational. H-D's appeal is to a past time, which most of today's adults don't even know, much-less remember. The time of postwar motorcycle gangs, of Easy Rider and other romanticisms of the life...long, long gone.

On the other hand, the playboy image is timeless. Everyone wants to have a life of money and leisure, and if they can't, they'd like to project that they do.
    scott123007 and neanderthal like this.
  19. mr72

mr72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is THAT BMW's appeal? I figured Ducati had that corner of the market covered and BMW projects "I'm retired". Maybe BMW is "I'm a white-collar retiree" and Harley is "blue-collar retiree". ?

What do I know. One of my bikes says "here's your pizza!" and the other one seems to say "I'm a lot older than I look".
    Scoozi and liberpolly like this.
  20. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I think it's their appeal, or part of it. They make, or used to (before the current era, with all their failing final-drives and electrical gremlins)...well-engineered product.

On the other hand, the way they're marketed and sold is obviously aspirational. And some buyers actually seem to be buying the roundel, with a bike attached to it.

I think the proof of that is, how successful their new conventional F/G bikes are. All that made a BMW a BMW, shaft-drive, longitudinal engine, was jettisoned. They didn't even make their own engines for many years. What separated the BMW from a Honda or Kawasaki, was...belt drive (on street models) and styling.

Plenty of GS riders I've seen are late-thirties, early-forties, yuppies.

Sure, there are other brands which also seem to advertise success, or ties to a European leisure class. Just as there's more than one brand of luxury car, or more than one format to luxury models.

One of my bikes advertises "New Rider!" and one advertises "Checkbook Tourist!"

I'm okay with that. I used to ride a PCX. Nice little ride for ambling about town, but not much good for anything else. That's why it's gone, but I didn't much care about the image, one way or another.